• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 13: Cervia – Monselice 192 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Vaughters is always keen to get out there with the negatives so if anything does go tits up he can show he was being considerate. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing and it probably helps with the brand, but it does come across as quite negative.

Same way he was talking about how dangerous the tour route was or how uncomfortable he was about the covid situation there too.

Last edited:
Vaughter's is always keen to get out there with the negatives so if anything does go tits up he can show he was being considerate. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing and it probably helps with the brand, but it does come across as quite negative.

Same way he was talking about how dangerous the tour route was or how uncomfortable he was about the covid situation there too.
Yeah this is typical JV, super opportunistic in media etc. It also helps that they have 2 stage wins already and if there's a "winner" they get the KoM jersey, etc.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Giro dell'eternità has a nice ring to it, and Nibali has always been playing the long game
Well, it would make the Trofeo senza fine somewhat more believable.
The ultimate elimination race.

Such a shame Remco got injured! He'd have just been chucking away, while everyone else retired around him.

Ten years from now: stage who-the-***-keeps-count of the Giro dell'eternità, Vincenzo Nibali drops a bombshell; pointing out that even though he's technically in the lead - and have been so for the last couple of years - he's also 45, and has every right to retire!

Last edited:
Such a shame Remco got injured! He'd have just been chucking away, while everyone else retired around him.

Ten years from now: stage who-the-***-keeps-count of the Giro dell'eternità, Vincenzo Nibali drops a bombshell; pointing out that even though he's technically in the lead - and have been so for the last couple of years - he's also 45, and has ever right to retire!
"Almeida loses white jersey after turning 38"

Nibali thinking; Back in my days....

2116737-nibali2.jpg
13nibaligiro20528.jpg
Yes but there was also the edition of Mila San Remo won by Ciolek that was paused and moved on by team buses due to bad weather where he abandoned because he was close to getting frostbite in his fingers.

Ten years from now: stage who-the-***-keeps-count of the Giro dell'eternità, Vincenzo Nibali drops a bombshell; pointing out that even though he's technically in the lead - and have been so for the last couple of years - he's also 45, and has ever right to retire!

For the race to be over, Nibali would have to bring the Trofeo senza fine to the Mount Doom of Etna in order to destroy it once and for all

FWIW, I wouldn't cancel the Giro regardless of positives. The riders are professional athletes in their 20s and 30s who are amongst the fittest humans on the planet. This demographic is extremely low-risk. Team personnel is another story, but they can opt not to participate at their own discretion. I'm unsure whether the final decision is that of the Giro's organizers or the Italian government.

Reactions: Sandisfan
FWIW, I wouldn't cancel the Giro regardless of positives. The riders are professional athletes in their 20s and 30s who are amongst the fittest humans on the planet. This demographic is extremely low-risk. Team personnel is another story, but they can opt not to participate at their own discretion. I'm unsure whether the final decision is that of the Giro's organizers or the Italian government.
What I dislike most is the narrative of riders/teams not getting a choice.

The final decision would have to come from the Italian government, and not because - or at least not primarily because - of the health of the riders, but because of the health of the general public; despite all the advice/pleas(sp?) to do so, some people just don't seem to get the watch at home, and if you have to watch live, at least wear a mask message.

TRENDING THREADS