• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 21: Cernusco sul Naviglio – Milano 15.7 km ITT

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's OK. But Sunweb could have won the race had they known the future. That's the point.
There were stages where they could have played different. But bottom line they didn't know their true opponent was early, and they didn't truly know who was stronger in the mountains early either.
and like, call it sentiment, but i can't think of a team that would decide to stop protecting their designated GC leader entirely while he's wearing the leaders' jersey

When was the last time the majority of fans were happy about Ineos winning a GT haha

Probably some recent signings, less aggressive PR, and the change of main sponsor 'soften' their image a bit and distance themselves from their early to mid 2010s one. I think when all the ealier proponents leave (anyone from the 2012-2013 Tour winning team), they will be seen more as a normal rich team, if there ever was such thing in pro cycling.
Unless if they do something weird again.

Kelderman was cooked on Stelvio. The only “what if?” for Sunweb is it they had identified the Tao threat sooner and not towed him all the way up the hill to his first stage win. Or if they had worked out sooner that Jai was stronger than Wilco.
Yup.

My point was just I'm glad it wasn't so close that people would think the tactics of the past few days made the difference. The main tactic of the past few days that made a difference was Dennis!

Congrats to Hart, what a race it was. Also congrats to Hindley for making a great fight. Two young guys fighting for victory - nobody expected this.
Special mention of two big engines - Ganna (4 stage victories, what a talent) and Dennis (absolutely key figure in the race, he showed GT-winning form here).

Hypothetical Sky squad: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Carapaz, Hart, Ganna, Dennis, Kwiatkowski...ridiculous power

To the bolded part, mostly very true. Dennis is not GT winning material though, as he cannot perform day after day over three weeks. But if you can use his talents on some key block of days, he's frighteningly strong.

Froome at TdF'12. He didn't drop his teammate which decided the race.
LOL!

On a serious note, I am not so sure, given the dearth of big climbs that year, the Froome would have made up the 2 min necessary to make up for the time loss in the TTs. But it sure would have made things spicy if he had attacked his team mate like a total DB.

Fun fact - DB is an abbreviation for a very rude insult. It is also short for David Brailsford. Coincidence? ;)

LOL!

On a serious note, I am not so sure, given the dearth of big climbs that year, the Froome would have made up the 2 min necessary to make up for the time loss in the TTs. But it sure would have made things spicy if he had attacked his team mate like a total DB.

Fun fact - DB is an abbreviation for a very rude insult. It is also short for David Brailsford. Coincidence? ;)

Sir Bradley is a man of honour and would've withdrawn from the race had Froomey attacked him (apparently it was close to happening), thus the latter would have won the Tour.

To the bolded part, mostly very true. Dennis is not GT winning material though, as he cannot perform day after day over three weeks. But if you can use his talents on some key block of days, he's frighteningly strong.
Do we know for a fact that he can’t do that? I’m not aware that he’s ever even tried for GC at a GT before. The only race I know of where he genuinely went for it was Suisse last year, and he was only beaten on one mountain day by a red-hot, pre-TdF-win Bernal. I can’t help thinking if it was the 80s/90s, with 150-200kms of ITT per GT, he would’ve been pushed that way a lot earlier in his career.

The streak continues!
After the 2018 Giro we're still waiting for a GT winner to repeat. All of them had never won a GT before and never won a GT after.

2018 Tour - GT
2018 Vuelta - Yates
2019 Giro - Carapaz
2019 Tour - Bernal
2019 Vuelta - Roglic
2020 Tour - Pogacar
2020 Giro - TGH

And before that the winners were (going backwards in time) Froome, Froome, Froome, Dumoulin, Quintana, Froome, Nibali, Aru, Froome, Contador, Contador, Nibali, Quintana, Horner, Froome, Nibali, Contador.

Quite a different story.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS