• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 6: Castrovillari – Matera 188 km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I feel as if Sagan didn't have the legs in the finale which would explain why Bora didn't push it hard on Millotta. Could be just a bad day or maybe he's starting to get tired after TdF. Looks like it could be a winless season for him.

really not a tactical masterpiece by Bora there
What where they supposed to do? They delivered Sagan perfectly. As soon as the tempo dropped, Majka even took a turn (there were no lead out men left, see Fuglsang). How about Sagan going for it? Demare had no teammate and 50m and 15-20 places to make up on Sagan with 500m to go. I know which situation I would prefer to be into.

Reactions: richwallone
Sagan is losing his instincts... He doesn't trust himself anymore like he used to... A couple years ago he would have been a lot more aggressive... Sad end to his racing career...
This. I was just about to write it. His legs are maybe back, but his head/mojo/himself is not. In last years, he would have been on the outside same as Demare was and would gain 5 meters in that corner. Today, he was inside, block and hitting breaks which effectively cost him 15m on Demaire in just that one corner.
The fact that he was left up front too early has take it toll, and for that the attacks of Nibali and such can be blamed, cause sagan needed to follow it, but it was hardly lost there.
That one last corner was the problem. I am not sure, but commentator on czech Eurosport was mentioning last corner one corner too early, so maybe bad roadbook and bad recon by Bora, on could hardly tell.

What where they supposed to do? They delivered Sagan perfectly. As soon as the tempo dropped, Majka even took a turn (there were no lead out men left, see Fuglsang). How about Sagan going for it? Demare had no teammate and 50m and 15-20 places to make up on Sagan with 500m to go. I know which situation I would prefer to be into.

Exactly... He was 3rd-4th with 400-500m to go... All of a sudden he finds himself 1st and slows down to wait for Majka to lead him out. Obviously, Majka is too slow, Sagan waiting for him, even if only for a half second, loses his momentum, and that's when all the other teams are flying by him... It looked like Sagan was standing there, at least 10-15 people got by him... Aaaand he ends up getting boxed... This isn't isn't even a rookie mistake. This is an old man not trusting his instincts... That's the clearest sign of a sprinter past his prime... Much more mental than physical... It's in his head!!!

This was clearly on Sagan!!!

Because he wasn't allowed to race the Tour and had to ride all these small races

Well yes. Even leaving the Tour issue aside, you always have to take into account that all French sprinters pad out their win numbers with a load of little Europe Tour races because their teams ride them and care about them. But while that bulks up his numbers, WT wins are there too. Demare is in great form.

Reactions: Tonton
Exactly... He was 3rd-4th with 400-500m to go... All of a sudden he finds himself 1st and slows down to wait for Majka to lead him out. Obviously, Majka is too slow, Sagan waiting for him, even if only for a half second, loses his momentum, and that's when all the other teams are flying by him... It looked like Sagan was standing there, at least 10-15 people got by him... Aaaand he ends up getting boxed... This isn't isn't even rookie mistake. This is an old man not trusting his instincts... That's the clearest sign of a sprinter past his prime... Much more mental than physical... It's in his head!!!

This was clearly on Sagan!!!
To be fair though, sagan has lost waaay to many like this and he's accused of being tactically immature. I have a feeling, that at one point, GvA and Lefevere with his team got to his head, and from then on, he started racing more tactically. However, it seems, that riding tacticaly just does not work for him. Yes, he lost some miserably by riding with his gut and spirit of a true rider, but overall, he's won more.