• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 6: Castrovillari – Matera 188 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As for "who is the fastest sprinter?" - My answer is:

"It depends", on:

Race profile from start to 5 k from the finish.
How the race was raced prior to the sprint.
Wind.
Crashes.
Technical difficulties.
Race profile the last 5 k before the sprint.
Strength of team for positioning.
Quality of the last lead out guy.
Race profile for the sprint itself.
Aaaaaaand a bunch of other variables, such as race programme, current form, current health, legs on the day, etc., etc.

It's a debate nobody can really ever win, which is why it is pointless to get emotional about it :sunglasses:

Demare probably has relatively fresh legs from not doing the Tour. At the moment I would say he is going to win more stages.

Since the break he was 2 second two times behind Gaviria and Bennett respectively in Burgos.

He won Milano-Torino. Infront of riders like Ewan, Van Aert and Sagan.

Won two stages in Tour de Wallonie. Bennett and Ewan present among others.

Won NCR.

Second ECC.

Smashed the French stage race in so and so competition.

Stage win in Luxembourgh.

Now two stage wins so far in Giro.

Whether he raced the Tour or not, I would say he has been a level above the other top sprinters. With maybe only Bennett beating him, because he won Green in Tour.

My point being he is a bit underrated still. Even after his results after the break, compared to the likes of Ewan and Bennett. I would hold them on the same level as of now, a top 3 so to speak among the top sprinters.

Demare seems better than ever and in great shape atm. It is not too long ago that the last hill today would have been too hard for him.

Maybe Sagan at the Giro is also a thing of him promising to be there and that it would be seen as disrespecting the Giro if they did not do it now, or Sagan is at least thinking about an end of his road career and he really wanted to do the Giro once.

I think it is hard to rank the sprinters just 1, 2, 3, 4... because they have their individual strenghts and weaknesses, then there is the general form and the form of the day, and in addition factors you can hardly control, that just happen in bunch sprints, from deviations from the road-book to crashes or impedences by other riders.

Something else: Usually this is a very nice forum, it's sometimes a bit over-moderated, but in the end that makes it very civil and friendly. But then at times it gets really heated and even a bit aggressive and I wonder whether the subject is so important to you or if you are just used to have discussions this way. I had friends from the nature sciences who have said they are so used to lead discussions like that, it sometimes happens to them in the private area as well. Honestly I am not used to it in my every day life, and it always appears strange to me (even if can get nasty myself).

Reactions: Salvarani
The decision to bring Sagan to the Giro, and preventing him from riding the cobbled classics, is looking increasingly moronic.

I am at a complete loss to understand, what the Bora management was thinking, except maybe that the sponsors want to sell more kitchen equipment in the Italian market? :rolleyes:

He already said he was going last fall. Did they/he not receive a starting fee? He was committed on going. Maybe even by a contract. He was the posterboy for this edition of the race. First time riding the Giro for him etc.

With the form shown in Tour... chances for victory, stages and points classification, in Giro also seems more likelier than a big classics win right now. Maybe it will turn out to be a good thing. Forms seems a little bit better now. Today he just got lost in the chaotic finish. It was hard to control, even though Bora tried. They got overtaken by others riders and Sagan didnt get a chance to sprint. It happens.

I just hope this Giro means the end of Sagan " f...g points jersey era". I wish he fully concentrate on the classics and his climbing ability.
It is painful for me to see him not to be able to follow Alaphilippe up the Poggio.
At least I will not see him going backward on the last Paterberg when seated WVA and MVDP will go full gas.

Reactions: richwallone
He already said he was going last fall. Did they/he not receive a starting fee? He was committed on going. Maybe even by a contract. He was the posterboy for this edition of the race. First time riding the Giro for him etc.

With the form shown in Tour... chances for victory, stages and points classification, in Giro also seems more likelier than a big classics win right now. Maybe it will turn out to be a good thing. Forms seems a little bit better now. Today he just got lost in the chaotic finish. It was hard to control, even though Bora tried. They got overtaken by others riders and Sagan didnt get a chance to sprint. It happens.

Commitments from last year means very little in a Corona season ;)

Commitments from last year means very little in a Corona season ;)

If you have an obligation and received something to participate, when the race is to take place, it isnt much you can do. Only thing I guess if the season had been altogether cancelled, there wouldnt be stipulations. It depends on what was agreed upon or signed by all parties. He also been in advertisements for it etc. Not participating is not something you can just back out of then. Or he is just a man of his word.

The decision to bring Sagan to the Giro, and preventing him from riding the cobbled classics, is looking increasingly moronic.

I am at a complete loss to understand, what the Bora management was thinking, except maybe that the sponsors want to sell more kitchen equipment in the Italian market? :rolleyes:

He got paid serious money by the RCS for his promised participation in this year's Giro... It's been rumored anywhere from €500,000 to €1,000,000;)

If you have an obligation and received something to participate, when the race is to take place, it isnt much you can do. Only thing I guess if the season had been altogether cancelled, there wouldnt be stipulations. It depends on what was agreed upon or signed by all parties. He also been in advertisements for it etc. Not participating is not something you can just back out of then. Or he is just a man of his word.

Any contracts signed prior to the season, would have been for the original Giro dates, so all that is a moot point.

Since the break he was 2 second two times behind Gaviria and Bennett respectively in Burgos.

He won Milano-Torino. Infront of riders like Ewan, Van Aert and Sagan.

Won two stages in Tour de Wallonie. Bennett and Ewan present among others.

Won NCR.

Second ECC.

Smashed the French stage race in so and so competition.

Stage win in Luxembourgh.

Now two stage wins so far in Giro.

Whether he raced the Tour or not, I would say he has been a level above the other top sprinters. With maybe only Bennett beating him, because he won Green in Tour.

My point being he is a bit underrated still. Even after his results after the break, compared to the likes of Ewan and Bennett. I would hold them on the same level as of now, a top 3 so to speak among the top sprinters.

Demare seems better than ever and in great shape atm. It is not too long ago that the last hill today would have been too hard for him.
This ^. At his best, Demare is every bit as good as all the riders named. And unlike some "pure sprinters" he can ride a bike too. His Binche-Chimay-Binche win, against a star-studded field, was something that Ewan can only win in his dreams...just sayin'...

Any contracts signed prior to the season, would have been for the original Giro dates, so all that is a moot point.
How do you know? For all we know the contract might say something like; "Sagan will receive €1,000,000 for participating in the 103rd edition of the Giro d'Italia."

And even if the contract doesn't stipulate anything like that, Sagan obviously wanted to race the Giro for that money, coronaseason or not. And why not, he has already won GW, E3, RvV and PR.