• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to this kazakh site M.A. Lopez seems to be coming to the Giro as co-captain with Fuglsang, if this was confirmed it would be positive for the startlist....
Honestly i do not understand this choice...
Even pcs has put him in the startlist:oops:
The provisional startlists on PCS are usually garbge, that doesn't say a lot.
Of course they also send Aru to the Vuelta right after the Tour when he was leaving, so it's possible.

Reactions: Sandisfan
One thing about Yates that is still suspect to me isn't just how Yates will perform in the 3rd week, but in the 3rd week on extremely long and tough climbs and mountain stages. Yates seems to be at his best on punchy climbs and one climb stages and while this Giro offers a good amount of that in the first two weeks, Piancavallo, Madonna, Lago di Cancano and Sestriere are the exact opposite.

Some of those stages might come down to the last few kilometres but the attrition is gonna make them super tough anyway and make "punchyness" less important. Moreover considering the rather weak field, not only in terms of gc riders but also helpers, those stages might well be ridden hard from far out, with many attempts for long range attacks and such. I just don't know if Yates can thrive there.

One thing about Yates that is still suspect to me isn't just how Yates will perform in the 3rd week, but in the 3rd week on extremely long and tough climbs and mountain stages. Yates seems to be at his best on punchy climbs and one climb stages and while this Giro offers a good amount of that in the first two weeks, Piancavallo, Madonna, Lago di Cancano and Sestriere are the exact opposite.

Some of those stages might come down to the last few kilometres but the attrition is gonna make them super tough anyway and make "punchyness" less important. Moreover considering the rather weak field, not only in terms of gc riders but also helpers, those stages might well be ridden hard from far out, with many attempts for long range attacks and such. I just don't know if Yates can thrive there.
True, but he's basically had really strong performances up to 40 minute climbs, and I don't think he's had many chances on such length climbs to say much about them.

After having a look at the provisional startlist, I must agree with you. That is very average, I don't even know who could mountain goat with their leaders. Maybe is that a good news. Open Giro incoming?

Recipe for the most exciting Giro
Purely looking at TA I'm not so sure why anyone would consider Thomas a favorite over Yates.

Purely looking at the pre Tour races, I'm not sure why anyone would consider themselves challengers to Roglic. I think INEOS may look to make amends of the Tour carnage.

Reactions: Krokro
So the time has come. After I started following cycling more closely in 2017 there has been one thing on top of wishlist. A rider from Finland (Hännninen) is starting a Grand Tour. I dont expect big things yet, but it is gonna be fun to watch if AG2R will let him try out something. Also T-A showed promise that Giro could have a good GC battle if S.Yates and G are anywhere close to that form in Giro.

I completely forgot about him. i very much hope he isn’t super strong. Unless Thomas sucks that is. Strong Sosa as a leader would be welcome. I just don’t want to see a single superdom all race
After their disappointment in this years tour, Ineos surely wants to win at least the second Grand Tour this year. So the possibility of a strong mountain train for Thomas still exists.
With Bernal, Sosa, TAO and Dunbar in front of him, it will be difficult to eliminate Thomas.
Let´s hope that Bernal will not ride..

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS