• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 11: Perugia – Montalcino 162 km

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

???

• Poll?

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Bag?

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Rain?

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Button?

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Ban poll

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Delete OP

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Vin(cenz)o

Votes: 24 27.6%

• Total voters
Evenepoel clearly just had a bad day. And still in the end he picked up quite some other dropped riders. Even ones that hung a lot longer with the front group. Heck Ciccone barely won time at all and he dropped late.

Also a reminder that Basso lost 2 minutes here when he won the Giro in 2010. Not saying Evenepoel will. But it would be foolish to write him off after a special stage like this.
That being said. For me it was already pretty clear and I think for everyone as well that Bernal was and is the huge favorite to win the Giro. Beforer the Giro.. during the Giro. He's just confirming it

Formolo loosing so much time today was a bigger surprise for me.
Jesus indeed.
I know Martin’s had trouble on unpaved roads before (think he’s lost time every time the Tour has hit cobbles) but that’s massive. And what’s Formolo’s excuse?
I'm 95% sure, at one point (just after the first sector started) I saw Formolo had to stop because of a defect or some other similair kind of issue. It definitely wasn't like he was dropped. And as we know the pace at the front exploded from then, no surprise he was +9mins at the finish

It's funny, but not even completely wrong.

btw. love the nickname, Journey to the End of the Night is one of my favourite books.

It will be interesting to see what comes out about this stage in the days and weeks to come from the DQS camp.

Clearly something happened because Almeida was not tending to Evenepoel like a teammate should have been. In almost every shot he was not riding close to Evenepoel like he should have been.

While Remco caused his own issues, Almeida's insolence was embarrassing.

Sure, only finishing behind Bernal, Buchmann, Vlasov and Caruso totally justifies the return of his status as the race favorite.
You thought this stage was very suited to him? I didn't. I thought it was all about defending himself today and losing 25s to a Strade Bianche podium finisher is great defense in my view. I don't think he is the favourite. That's Bernal and it'is pretty clear to anyone. But Yates is quietly quietly right there near the top, without trying a single attack.

It will be interesting to see what comes out about this stage in the days and weeks to come from the DQS camp.

Clearly something happened because Almeida was not tending to Evenepoel like a teammate should have been. In almost every shot he was not riding close to Evenepoel like he should have been.

IMO you are jumping on conlusions... lets wait for Lefevere words, as we all know he can't keep his mouth shut and if there was any kind of misconduct from João there will be consequences! I´m sure that João did what he was told to do, don't have any doubts about that... besides if João stayed with him at the end why would he not do it earlier if he was told to do so?

Reactions: Sandisfan
thin
I donot know what Evenepoel's problem was, rest day blues, mental, bonk, recurrence of injury pain or bad day. But for sure QST made a complete mess of their tactics. Almeida- will he or wont he situation was kinda comedic. On the other side Ineos perfect tactics. A recon would have helped for Remco if he had time but first GT so not too worried about his future.
A perfect analysis. Everything went wrong. Clearly a bad day, maby due to the rest day. But his technique downhill on gravel ? Never seen a pro showing that lack of technique. Even worse than Thomas De Gendt. And the team tactics. Bad communication (not functioning earbuds ?). Almeida clearly rebelling and refusing to do his job. When Evenepoel was still in the group. Not let him follow in his wheel. And later on, refusing to wait when Evenepoel was dropped. I think the poore Portuguese will be send without supper to bed this evening..... Lefevere can't bear such a behaviour. I don't think Almeida will race a lot after this Giro....

Reactions: TMP402

Remco furiously throwing his earphone away was very meaningful.

You thought this stage was very suited to him? I didn't. I thought it was all about defending himself today and losing 25s to a Strade Bianche podium finisher is great defense in my view. I don't think he is the favourite. That's Bernal and it'is pretty clear to anyone. But Yates is quietly quietly right there near the top, without trying a single attack.
Actually after he directly showed so much fear before today's stage, was frantically keeping the last position in the group all day long and had no teammates around, I consider him as probably the biggest (apart from Bernal) winner of this stage.

Reactions: TMP402

Was it really? Almeida's mistake was not riding near Remco when they were in the group and he spent too much time before he dropped to Remco. But after that he was pacing the young Belgian from that point till the finish line. I don't think it was perfect domestique work, but it was far from embarassing. What I call embarassing is what Sebastian Henao did at Algarve for Hayter for example.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Would love to see this parkour for a world championship. Well done Schmid, don't think anyone saw that coming. Bernal as well. Evenpoel is still young and just didn't have the legs today. Buchmann and Yates spring to mind as Bernal's competitors. Have an idea that Yates has timed his form and gotten it right this time for 3 week. But you never know with him - might explode. Carthy rode well aswell and could be interesting.

i dont really understand why ineos didnt do a little more in the beginning of the stage, this one was for bernal, the bonus seconds are important!

did you watch the stage at all?
INEOS attached when it mattered. Ganna literally killed DQS & Remco in the early sterratto and then Moscon finished it off to set up Egan for the final blow. It was well played.

Was it really? Almeida's mistake was not riding near Remco when they were in the group and he spent too much time before he dropped to Remco. But after that he was pacing the young Belgian from that point till the finish line. I don't think it was perfect domestique work, but it was far from embarassing. What I call embarassing is what Sebastian Henao did at Algarve for Hayter for example.

I think even outside of Almeida (imo he didn't do a great job) but where were the rest of the team. I know it's probably harsh to compare them to Ineos but talent level, that DQS team is stacked and they've not shown up at all imo. Outside of the TT, what has Cavagna done this Giro, or what has Honore or Knox done? To me, those 3 in particular have been very missing considering their talent anyway

TRENDING THREADS