• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 16: Sacile - Cortina d'Ampezzo 212km

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

??

• Total voters
E2KSoi4WUAEBlPX
nice moment of bernal and martinez in the finish

The only positive (which actually can prove very positive in the future) is the fact that this completely disastrous decision now will get mocked by everyone who cares about cycling, and race organizers will hesitate a lot more in the future listening to the riders that doesnt find it pleasent to go over big mountain passes.

If this it what it takes, Im all for it.

Regarding the Vegni quotes, I dont know what to say. Why does the riders have a say if their team already has declared they are ready to race? Surely, the teams and the riders talk together beforehand? And even if they decide they dont want to race, it shouldn't mean a SINGLE THING as long as the conditions are not extreme (thats why we have said protocol) and it should be able to be brushed off by the organization if they have no reason to cancel said passes apart from lazy riders. Then, if some hailstorm makes it impossible to cross, go around that pass. It really isnt rocked science, and its 2021, so we should be able to figure out by now through communication whats passable and whats not and hours or so before. But cancelling passes because the weather MIGHT evolve in a specific direction is laughable and an extremely unhealthy route to go - then me might as well not race the Giro, or at least schedule it in warmer months. But as we all know, even in August, you can face extreme weather, so it seems impossible to arrange mountain stage with todays precedent in mind.

People who actually take themselves time to figure out whats up and down will quickly come to the realization that it was a utter nonsensical solution they came up with today. And my hope is this is a case that people will point towards whenever teams/riders say they dont wanna race mountain stages because its too cold/raining or whatever shenanigans they can come up with to not race the stage.

I hope Vegni will learn something from today. If he doesnt, he should be sacked on the spot.

Now that we've seen (or haven't) the horrible coverage, maybe it was good that they shortened the stage because instead of 1 hour of no coverage we weould have 3 hours of no coverage.
Record the whole stage, do some proper editing and make a great cycling movie out of it. I'd be first to go to cinema to watch it, just to finally find out what really happend during that memorable 16th stage of 2021 Giro d'Italia

Reactions: Sandisfan
'No lack of entertainment'.

Indeed. I was thrilled to see the change of dynamics in the collaboration between the middle aged guy with a mask not properly set up and the grey haired lady in dark pants while trying to chase that 10 year old rebel who can't be still.
Tbf that has nothing to do with the decision of Vegni and CPA, rather the complete ineptitude of RAI. The stage in itself was definitely an above average mountain stage, but could obviously have been so much more.

It clearly wasn't all the riders who wanted the stage shortened. And it wouldn't be the first time CPA has shown to not actually care about all the riders...

But anyway; in a ten years time nobody will even remember that the stage was shortened.

Ya, in 10 years time when they go to show coverage of this year's giro, stage 16 will just be Bernal crossing the finishing line.

Also, you have to applaud the Danish expert Bastian Emil for always keeping it straight. He was very, very disappointed with the the passes being cancelled and was very afraid of the future if this is the way to go around things now. To paraphrase him, he said cycling always will and should be a balance between the achievable and not achievable and thats why we love the sport. And yes, thats why I love the sport, I wouldn't watch it without stages like these. Stages like mono climb Zoncolan its too predictable, too boring, too mechanical... nothing wrong with romanticizing our sport. I love this guy. Meanwhile, the other idiots wouldn't dare to say anything critical of the decision.

Nah man we're just judgmental edgy couch potatoes with no regard for the riders.

Naah, you're just acting as if everytime there's the slightest issue with the weather, every rider calls for cancellation. Sure, some riders might have wanted to shorten, doesn't mean they all did.

Ya, in 10 years time when they go to show coverage of this year's giro, stage 16 will just be Bernal crossing the finishing line.

Why would they show coverage of this year's Giro - other than Memorable Moments - in 10 years?

So even after the CPA admits openly that it was on the request of the riders, you still can't admit that you were wrong?

I just have my doubt that CPA are referring to the majority of the riders.