• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wasn't the finish line at the exact same spot for both the Giro and the Tour in 2007?
Yes, but on looking back it appears that both were on the Rue d'Italie, which would prevent approaching from the east as we would be doing to arrive from Montgenèvre, as then you'd have to travel through the finish in the opposite direction on the way into town, unfortunately. Back then (and in the 2009 Dauphiné also, which came through the old town like the Giro) they went out of the old town and swept right through the roundabout - I just checked the 2007 Giro stage finish and they took a wide, sweeping right suggesting they went along the roundabout onto Rue d'Italie rather than into the parking area, and they were about 75m from the line coming through that final corner, placing the finish right near the end of the Parking, which was used for logistics, podium, officials' cars etc.. It would be possible to do use the parking area as a road - it is wide enough - if approaching from the east, tightening up the final corner so as not to return to the Rue d'Italie, but this would remove the option of using this as the diversion for course cars/bikes, and potentially also reduce the distance from the final corner to the finish depending on how much run-off they need. They'll probably also need to remove the road furniture entering the parking because otherwise it would be extremely narrow, although for a Grand Tour this is probably fairly easily achievable.

This problem is avoided by using the Tour finish because they can use Chemin du Barry as the diversion, place the finish before the roundabout on Avenue Baldenberg, and keep the logistics in the parking area as they did in 2007. The Giro/Dauphiné finish would be preferable, for sure, and the problems relative to 2007 and 2009 aren't insurmountable, but it would require a bit of manoeuvring.

Reactions: Red Rick
I might see some variation happening with Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestriere and then Montegenevre for a finish in Briancon so you have a start and finish in France.

It's a real bummer, that passes, that are crossing borders, like Col du Mont-Cenis are ridden rarely. Same goes for the giant Passo del Bernina from Tirano, Colle del Gran San Bernardo or Passo del Rombo/Timmelsjoch.

The latter would be pretty lame. Finestre could become a legendary climb of the Tour as well by using it every 5-10 years for example.

You still need someone to pay for it. ;) Sestriere hasn't hosted the Tour for 22 years, so maybe they are not really interested. I am quite sure, that also the organizers of the Tour would love to go over Finestre. It's a climb, where you can produce epic pictures. It's perfect.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You still need someone to pay for it. ;) Sestriere hasn't hosted the Tour for 22 years, so maybe they are not really interested. I am quite sure, that also the organizers of the Tour would love to go over Finestre. It's a climb, where you can produce epic pictures. It's perfect.
Well, they could do a stage to Briancon via Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestriere and Montgenevre. It would be a nice alternative to the ususally underwhelming descent finishes from Galibier to Briancon.

Well, they could do a stage to Briancon via Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestriere and Montgenevre. It would be a nice alternative to the ususally underwhelming descent finishes from Galibier to Briancon.
Briançon also hasn't hosted a Tour stage finish since 2007 though. I wonder if it's to do with the restructuring of the Champ de Mars parking area since it's been perfectly happy hosting stage starts. On the other hand, 3 of the 4 Tour stage finishes announced in the area since were MTFs (Galibier 2011, Izoard 2017, Granon 2022 versus Serre Chevalier 2017 - throw in Risoul 2014 and it's 4 in 5) so it may also be related to the increasing reliance on MTFs that has characterised the Prudhomme era.

As for Finestre, we can also hope that Pinerolo hosts again like in 2011. That year was backloaded enough that including it would have made little sense anyway but that doesn't have to be a constraint in the future. Would also allow for Agnel, Lombarde or Mont-Cenis the day after, of course.

I wonder if the Tour hasn't used Finestre just cause they haven't been to Sestriere in a long time or if they really don't wanna use the biggest climb cause it's a Giro climb.

I suppose it's the former tho.
The Tour looks totally unable, or maybe unwilling, to use a big sector of sterrato, they had Portet and Loze and they needed to pave them to be included, not to mention they also never use ribinou in Bretagne, basically the only sterrato we've seen at the Tour are gimmick sectors like Plateau de Gilieres and the freaking Superplanche.

It's a real bummer, that passes, that are crossing borders, like Col du Mont-Cenis are ridden rarely. Same goes for the giant Passo del Bernina from Tirano, Colle del Gran San Bernardo or Passo del Rombo/Timmelsjoch.

They easily could have in 2011 on the Pienerolo stage. Instead, they only used Sestrieres as a mid stage pass, instead of making a detour after the climb to include Finestre

The Tour looks totally unable, or maybe unwilling, to use a big sector of sterrato, they had Portet and Loze and they needed to pave them to be included, not to mention they also never use ribinou in Bretagne, basically the only sterrato we've seen at the Tour are gimmick sectors like Plateau de Gilieres and the freaking Superplanche.
France doesn't have nice and ready sterrato like Italy or maybe also Spain. French dirt roads tends to be way rougher and they need more preparations. Let's say that the ribinou in Bretagne and the wine roads around Tours are more CX racing than road. Next year they'll be cobbles so why a need for dirt? I'll still need to check the wine roads the ladies will take next year.

People like to forget that Giro is in May and the high Alps often don't like to cooperate at that time of the year. Mont-Cenis is the only half-reliant option but then it would be hard to go back to italy as good luck with either Iseran or Galibier in May. It could happen only if Maurenne wanted a Giro finish and i'm not sure if it ever happened barring 2013 (almost) Galibier finish.

Reactions: Red Rick
France doesn't have nice and ready sterrato like Italy or maybe also Spain. French dirt roads tends to be way rougher and they need more preparations. Let's say that the ribinou in Bretagne and the wine roads around Tours are more CX racing than road. Next year they'll be cobbles so why a need for dirt? I'll still need to check the wine roads the ladies will take next year.

People like to forget that Giro is in May and the high Alps often don't like to cooperate at that time of the year. Mont-Cenis is the only half-reliant option but then it would be hard to go back to italy as good luck with either Iseran or Galibier in May. It could happen only if Maurenne wanted a Giro finish and i'm not sure if it ever happened barring 2013 (almost) Galibier finish.
Mont Cenis honestly fits much better in the Tour with a start/finish in Briançon or something and then a start or any finish in the SJDM valley. Also I don't think the climb is that great. French side is just a cat 1, Italian side is really hard but where do you finish then?

Mont Cenis honestly fits much better in the Tour with a start/finish in Briançon or something and then a start or any finish in the SJDM valley. Also I don't think the climb is that great. French side is just a cat 1, Italian side is really hard but where do you finish then?
Italian side has some classic Race Design Thread ideas that will never happen like combining it with Iseran, which is only Tour viable or a finish on some of the random Vanoise high alt MTFs like Plan du Lac or Plan d'Amont. Dauphine had finished on Valfréjus and nearby La Norma may be also viable and they might be big enough for a Giro finish but i doubt the money's there. For me the only viable Giro options with Montcenis would be either try to copy the original 2013 design with Galibier north or maybe a Valfréjus finish after a 25k valley (20k if La Norma). A couple of years back Libertine was lobbying for a Bessans finish but that's a l'Avenir teritory and l'Avenir won't go through Italy.

Montcenis south can be a great opening climb for Tour de France after a Briançon/Sestriere/Cesana start. Montcenis north is just a bump compared to other Alpine climbs. Wonder if the north side will ever be a MTF in like Dauphine/Avenir or maybe even Tour (hosted by Lanslebourg).

if the Tour only raced Glieres if the road on the plateau got paved, you probably would have added it to Portet and Loze as a climb that only got raced when gravel was removed

Mont Cenis as a MTF from the French side after Iseran could wwork if you make the whole stage really hard and have it before an easy stage and after a hard MTF.
Something like Albertville-Mont Cenis with Bisanne, Col u Pre, Rosenend, Montvalezan and Iseran from North before a MTF on Mont Cenis could work (under the right circumstances).
Of course it's a monster of a stage with almost 6,000m of altitude gain in just 180kms, not very realistic by modern Tour standards:
https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/view/757536

l'Avenir won't go through Italy.
It actually has in the past, most recently in 2011.
853.jpg

Edit: on closer inspection, that was the only occasion in more recent years, although it did happen in the years it ran as the Tour de la Communauté Européenne, and the very early editions (1961, 1963 and 1966).

Last edited:
On almost every sterrato road you need works before being used in a road race, it has happened with the sectors used in Strade Bianche just as with Finestre that before 2005 was barely raceable in MTB. They just just like to avoid them or to pave everything.

On almost every sterrato road you need works before being used in a road race, it has happened with the sectors used in Strade Bianche just as with Finestre that before 2005 was barely raceable in MTB. They just just like to avoid them or to pave everything.
Of course. I meant in a different sense that's for me convoluted to explain. You need more works as those are genuinely field tracks and Finestre is regularly visited. Really i don't get the Bretagne hype as you have such ribins everywhere else in possibly every country in the world. I guess it's because Tro Bro makes them famous. I believe Normandie was also flirting with them. I'm going very offtopic so i'll stop here. Just... please, give more love towards other regions with such tracks other than Bretagne or i'll start a Europe-wide march over non-Bretagne dirt tracks oppression ;)

Also, just throwing out there:
12 Parma - somewhere near Savona
[...]
17 mountain stage in the Garda area or in Trentino/SüdTirol
Have fun ;)

According to Beppe Conti (yesterday), the route presentation will be done online and split into "episodes", one for each week. I don't know about that. For now there are no official news.

The only interesting thing about the route that Conti said yesterday is that he mentioned there were talks of a Voghera - Varzi ITT, but he doesn't think they went through. This is new to me, so it's kinda odd, since all the rest he said was pretty much taken from the usual forums. That ITT would technically be possible on stage 13, but my last informations were saying that Liguria wanted a finish and the following start, which would rule all of that out.
Also, Conti dismissed Finestre but left open the chance to have Fauniera.

As for new rumours, I only have minor things. An Emilian newspaper pointed at Genova for the finish of stage 12, something that I personally do not believe at all, knowing the city. Unless they meant somewhere in the wider metropolitan area and not the city proper.

1 Hungary (not ITT?)
2 Hungary (ITT?)
3 Hungary (ITT?)
4 ??? - Etna?
5 ??? - Taormina
6 Somewhere in Calabria - Scalea
7 Diamante - Potenza
8 Potenza - Monte di Procida
9 Isernia - Blockhaus
rest
10 Pescara OR Sarnano - Jesi
11 Sant'Agata Feltria OR Santarcangelo - Reggio Emilia
12 Parma - somewhere near Savona or Genova
13 somewhere near Savona or Genova - somewhere in Piedmont (Cuneo?)
14 Santena - mountains in Piedmont
15 Rivarolo Canavese - Cogne
rest
16 ??? - Tirano
17 mountain stage in the Garda area or in Trentino/SüdTirol
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
20 ??? - Tre Cime? Nevegal? Fedaia??
21 Verona ITT

Unusually many questions so close to the presentation. Still three possible/probable mountain stages where we don't know much except for the region/area where it will take place. In addition the stage to Cogne could be anything from great to really underwhelming depending on the climbs earlier in that stage. If next Giro will be a good route or not, depends much on these four stages and how they are designed.

TRENDING THREADS