• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to Tuttobici local authorities and stage organizers want stage 9 to finish at Rifugio Pomilio instead of Hotel Mammarosa (the usual finish at the Valico della Majelletta where the road from Roccamorice connects with the one that comes from Passo Lanciano) but the decision is pending site inspection from RCS so likely we won't know anything until April when they usually do the inspections and update the route.

Reactions: Sandisfan
According to Tuttobici local authorities and stage organizers want stage 9 to finish at Rifugio Pomilio instead of Hotel Mammarosa (the usual finish at the Valico della Majelletta where the road from Roccamorice connects with the one that comes from Passo Lanciano) but the decision is pending site inspection from RCS so likely we won't know anything until April when they usually do the inspections and update the route.
That's like 2km difference?

• Wow
That's like 2km difference?
More, around 3,5. If I were them I would try to go directly to the top of Blockhaus, from there is less than 3 kms.

BlockhausW.gif

Go even further up the Etna on the wide, unpaved road to the ski station and you can add 5kms at 11.2% on top of it (on unpaved roads).
You'd pretty much get a Col de la Loze (maybe even harder) as one of the first MTFs, around 2,100m of altitude gain on a single climb.
https://www.cronoescalada.com/tracks/view/769854
I was just assuming that was firmly in the realm of things that are never happening.

I would feel it were more possible if the Giro had the third week down south on occasion. The road is pretty okay for a dirt road? Also just maybe the riders would want to ride to the bar at 2500m.

I was just assuming that was firmly in the realm of things that are never happening.

I would feel it were more possible if the Giro had the third week down south on occasion. The road is pretty okay for a dirt road? Also just maybe the riders would want to ride to the bar at 2500m.
Of course you'd have to go over it with a road roller or something like that and get some of the larger rocks on the road out of the way (like Finestre every time), but it looks ok for an unpaved road on vulcanic ashes.

Of course you'd have to go over it with a road roller or something like that and get some of the larger rocks on the road out of the way (like Finestre every time), but it looks ok for an unpaved road on vulcanic ashes.
It might depend on the type of rocks as well: rocks formed from surface lavas or bonded pyroclastic flows can have fracture patterns that leave very sharp edges, which could produce a bunch of flats. My leather boots get small cuts, that look like cuts from knife, from hiking on certain rocky trails on Mt. Rainier’s lava-formed ridges.
Of course it’s possible they constructed the road with gravel quarried elsewhere.

Someone on the Italian forum tried to reconstruct the whole new stage (the final descent was deemed too dangerous by CPA so they have to remove it) according to local newspapers rumors and basically we risk to see first a shorter final climb and then ~30 kms extra of flat(tish) terrain to reach the original finish line and do the loop around Genova needed to enter the highway, do the bridge, come out the highway and return to the finish line.

On a side note someone else said that before the presentation of the route they didn't even do the preliminary recons so basically everything could be changed now that they are doing that. Vegni is really doing his best to put on a masterclass of *** direction to go out with a bang...

Will we have to wait until the end of April again before we'll know for certain about the final route?
Same as every year, the route is only certain once the roadbook (the Garibaldi) gets published.

Wildcards to
Bardiani-Csf-Faizanè,
Drone Hopper-Androni
Eolo-Kometa
Uno-X would have been nice, but with Gazprom not being an option anymore because of recent events they couldn't have done a lot different.

TRENDING THREADS