• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024 Stage 2: San Francesco al Campo – Santuario di Oropa (Biella), 161.0 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's a very boring rider on the bike (off the bike he seems like a nice enough guy), he represents a team and style of racing which was unpopular during its dominance, the international coverage being in English with very biased commentators who fawn all over him irritates some parts of the viewer base, and then there's the many other things about his career path and form cycles which would need to be taken to another part of the forum to discuss.
I really don't understand why people like hearing him talk so much, other than that it correlates with the growing mental health crisis around us. His entire stick is "Be good in one race where you then don't even attack, and then be sloshed the rest of the season" but apparently he's cool cause uses words like 'mates' and 'geezers'

Apart from Nico Roche they don't really have any analysts who were riders of that type though, it's all sprinters analysing climbers.

Unfortunately, Wiggins was godawful, and all the other Anglophone riders who could fulfil the role of being the voice of analysis for GC riders are either still riding, don't seem to be all that interested in the role, or are extremely tainted (most of the US riders of that generation, Ryder Hesjedal, Mick Rogers)

GCN as was and Eurosport do not employ Nico Roche although his insights are very good .....they preferred Adam Blythe ...job for mates ....such a shame as he would have been good and knows his onions

Roche only now works for French TV and Tour International Broadcasters

I really don't understand why people like hearing him talk so much, other than that it correlates with the growing mental health crisis around us. His entire stick is "Be good in one race where you then don't even attack, and then be sloshed the rest of the season" but apparently he's cool cause uses words like 'mates' and 'geezers'
I don’t understand your correlation between drinking and mental health?

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
When your comparison point is a try-hard like Blythe, Thomas comes across really well because at least his conversation comes across as natural even if you don't like his presentation.

Teddy lucky with that flat & crash - could have been a busted knee. Plan was to take the Pink & relax next week? They did say they wanted to control the race.
Bora v Ineos seems to be the race now, but if you like bunch sprints, then have I got a surprise for you! Stay tuned.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Also a sneaky good ride by Fortunato. The English commentators ignored him but he’s developing nicely. Also decent ride by Lopez. He’s not going to be the next great Spaniard, but he’s fun to watch.
Fortunato's main problem are the TTs...
he also stopped working on it, I think. When he didn't aim for GC in 2021, Fortunato won a stage and finished 16th. The year after, he worked on his time trial, aimed for GC mainly, and finished 15th. So he decided that the former approach works better for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan