• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024 Stage 2: San Francesco al Campo – Santuario di Oropa (Biella), 161.0 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's a very boring rider on the bike (off the bike he seems like a nice enough guy), he represents a team and style of racing which was unpopular during its dominance, the international coverage being in English with very biased commentators who fawn all over him irritates some parts of the viewer base, and then there's the many other things about his career path and form cycles which would need to be taken to another part of the forum to discuss.
Also the fact he was 3rd consecutive Sky TDF winner. With Wiggins people said 'course suited him, field was weak ( no Contador) etc.', with Froome we got used to it, then just after Froome's doping troubles, Sky have Thomas winning the TDF with his first GT top 10 result, and winning in a dominant fashion in a climbers course (winning back-to-back MTFs). He was also a classics rider before his transformation circa 2015, not showing anything in climbs before that season's Algarve/Paris-Nice.

He's a very boring rider on the bike (off the bike he seems like a nice enough guy), he represents a team and style of racing which was unpopular during its dominance, the international coverage being in English with very biased commentators who fawn all over him irritates some parts of the viewer base, and then there's the many other things about his career path and form cycles which would need to be taken to another part of the forum to discuss.
.many riders who follow wheels but dont suffer the crap directed at Thomas

Also there is no clinic conversation here ...he is an Olympic and World track champion and has the pedigree

No one saying issues about clinic for some many riders with more dubious questions...

As I say he has to be admired as he uses what he can and he is Tour champion and a Giro podium man with it ...many riders with probably better climbing ability cant hack it like he can and fall off the edge

There is more to admire in cycling than natural climbing ability...there is also admiration for toughness and mental attitude which Thomas has in bags

Plus he is a very liked rider and is a sound guy...but I guess there is no talking to some people who are free to dislike whoever they want ..that is sport for you

Surem but probs for trying at least, and on a day like this you can probably try to gamble if you're feeling very, very good which he must have done. Lost 30 seconds for that, and so what? Only guy who really tried.
Yeah, it is not this stage that decides anything and you can lose a lot more on a bad day somewhere else. Now he will probably race a bit more conservative.

Reactions: Brullnux

Also there is no clinic conversation here ...he is an Olympic and World track champion and has the pedigree

No one saying issues about clinic for some many riders with more dubious questions...

As I say he has to be admired as he uses what he can and he is Tour champion and a Giro podium man with it ...many riders with probably better climbing ability cant hack it like he can and fall off the edge

There is more to admire in cycling than natural climbing ability...there is also admiration for toughness and mental attitude which Thomas has in bags

Plus he is a very liked rider and is a sound guy...but I guess there is no talking to some people who are free to dislike whoever they want ..that is sport for you
I didn't say explicitly regarding the Clinic, but simply in order to discuss his reinvention, Indian summer and super-peaking it would be inevitable that it would stray in the Clinic direction so can't be discussed here.

And no, I don't have to admire or respect Thomas Mk II - and I don't. I respected Thomas Mk I and I have no problems with Geraint Thomas the human being, but Geraint Thomas the cyclist, no.

If your argument is that people are free to dislike whoever they want, why complain about who people choose to dislike?

If only @mou was here in this time of glory

GM02pcsXUAAePG8

Ganna has the pedigree, no surprise if he wins a Giro.

I didn't say explicitly regarding the Clinic, but simply in order to discuss his reinvention, Indian summer and super-peaking it would be inevitable that it would stray in the Clinic direction so can't be discussed here.

And no, I don't have to admire or respect Thomas Mk II - and I don't. I respected Thomas Mk I and I have no problems with Geraint Thomas the human being, but Geraint Thomas the cyclist, no.

If your argument is that people are free to dislike whoever they want, why complain about who people choose to dislike?

Not complaining ...just giving the counter argument

Too aggressive by OConner. He’s got talent, but trying to follow Teddy was just suicide.
His talent is good but limited. He is good but not great. There are many on his talent level. IMHO. His Anglophonic media is feeding him the wrong messages. I am tired of arguing with people this. I am yet to see the reasons to put him at a very high level. I just haven't found 1. Other than his 4th place at the Tour due to his breakaway.

Last edited:
His talent is good but limited. He is good but not great. There are many on his talent level. Sorry this is my opinion. His Anglophonic media is feeding him the wrong messages. I am tired of arguing with people this. I am yet to see the reasons to put him at a very high level. I just haven't found 1. Other than his 4th place at the Tour due to his breakaway.
The quality of the Giro field gives O'Connor some shot at the podium. His TT has improved but not by a lot. I still see him as a top five hope or better if he can avoid results like today's............I don't hear anyone saying he is certain to make the podium.

Reactions: saunaking
"I DROVE 470 WATTS FOR TEN MINUTES" - MIKKEL BJERG HAPPY WITH HIS OWN PERFORMANCE ON THE 2ND STAGE OF THE GIRO
It was a good day for Mikkel Bjerg and UAE when Tadej Pogačar took his first victory in the Giro. Here the Dane again played a big role, as he took a big lead on the last climb of the stage. After the stage, Mikkel Bjerg was also quite satisfied with his own performance, where he said that he drove 470 watts for about ten minutes.

The quality of the Giro field gives O'Connor some shot at the podium. His TT has improved but not by a lot. I still see him as a top five hope or better if he can avoid results like today's............I don't hear anyone saying he is certain to make the podium.
Not certain, because there are only predictions, but I have heard many, many times in the last week He is very good bet for the podium. And I am not sure about bets, but in the media at least 50% of the predictions put him on the podium. If not more.