• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Short answer: more than any sane person who's fitting it all in around a fulltime job would.

Long answer... The biggest thing that hampers me is that I'm a twenty-something who isn't from Italy, so almost all the historically-oriented stuff requires me looking it up (and then inevitably getting sidetracked reading up on related information I don't need for the posts). I will also make climb profiles myself when there aren't any available and I deem the climbs important enough (in this case thankfully only for two stages), for which I'll trawl geoportals of (in this case) Italian regions for topographic maps and/or digital elevation models and put the data in manually (because Google/OSM elevation data are really poor and export options from most geoportals are rather limited). Then add in the writing itself and finding usable images and it becomes pretty time-consuming. Don't have a good estimate for how much time I've spent on this in total, but the most time-intensive stages will take me an hour or more. And before anyone asks, I spend far less time per stage on normal OPs because I stick to the technical side of things there.
Can we also hire Devils Elbow to finish the ASOIAF book series when George RR Martin kicks it?

haven't seen it yet either, at least. The Wielerflits preview has some information about points distribution for the ciclamino, though

So if the info from @Laplaz about bonus seconds is correct (in the past there was only one sprint with bonus), it should normally be sth like this:

Bonus
Points Classification
Intergiro Classification
Int. Sprint Classification
1st Sprint (red S)
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
2nd Sprint (I)
3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
3rd Sprint (pink S)
3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
Finish
10-6-4​
50-35… / 25-18… / 15-12…​

haven't seen it yet either, at least. The Wielerflits preview has some information about points distribution for the ciclamino, though

So if the info from @Laplaz about bonus seconds is correct (in the past there was only one sprint with bonus), it should normally be sth like this:

Bonus
Points Classification
Intergiro Classification
1st Sprint (red S)
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
2nd Sprint (I)
3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
3rd Sprint (pink S)
3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
Finish
10-6-4​
Good to see that they've made a public announcement about everything well on time and that the system is really easy to follow for the average viewer.

Bonus
Points Classification
Intergiro Classification
1st Sprint (red S)
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
2nd Sprint (I)
3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
3rd Sprint (pink S)
3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
Finish
10-6-4​
there's a summary of the rules on the LfR Twitter now (mistake about bonus seconds corrected a bit further down), so looks like the table above is correct

View: https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1785975224854352233

• Haha
Reactions: Escarabajo
The Intergiro competition at the Giro - James Shrubsall has a go at trying to explain the competiton within all the other competitions!
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...s-intergiro-competition-and-will-we-even-care
Acting like a mini-GC, there will be an Intergiro arch midway through each stage (excepting time trials), acting as a finish line for riders for the Intergiro competition. They will then, of course, continue riding to the stage finish proper, as usual.

The first eight riders through will gain points from 12 down to one for the Intergiro, as well as 3, 2 and 1 seconds for the overall GC. On top of that (yes, there's more) the first eight riders gain the same points – from 12 down to one – for the points classification. This should make it, slightly confusingly, a tempting target for riders vying for that ciclamino points jersey.

As well as those in-race bonuses, the winner of the Intergiro will receive a cash prize, a safe driving course courtesy of classification sponsor Sara Assicurazioni (this is starting to sound like 'Wheel of Fortune'), and a flower-shaped trophy in the form of the same company's tulip-esque logo.

Reactions: Jungle Cycle
There seems to be little buzz around this Giro compared to other years. With one overwhelming favorite not much suspense is expected for the final victory, but one never knows. Pogacar has shown top shape, while the rest of the field seems relatively weak. Some contenders might be too old for another GT podium: Thomas, Caruso, Bardet. Others might be too young: Uijtdebroeks, Tiberi, Lipowitz. Those who have the right age aren't the most consistent: O'Connor, Lutsenko, Martínez.

When we compare the teams' strength UAE looks good, although it's not their A selection. Ineos and Decathlon also have a decent GC team. Visma is primarily built around sprinter Olav Kooij. Soudal-Q has Merlier for the sprints and several stage hunters.

With two MTFs and a long time trial in the first eight days Pogacar could take pink early and defend in the second half of the Giro. Most of the GC riders have a defensive riding style. Exceptions are Bardet, O'Connor and Martinez, but their attacks probably won't hurt Pogacar. UAE might even be in a position to decide who finishes second.

The toughest stages are stage 15 and stage 20. In stage 15 the gentler side of the Mortirolo will lead to a selection with the strongest climbers, and everything will fall apart before the finish at 2385 m altitude. Stage 16 comes right after the resting day, so the early climb of the Stelvio might come at the worst moment for one or two GC riders. Stage 20 over the Grappa twice is very tough, but it's doubtful whether there will still be suspense for the pink jersey. At least we will see a lot of beautiful scenery, and watching Pogacar on those iconic climbs is something to treasure.

The route is geared towards pushing Pogi in pink as early as possible and after likely impossible to give it away on purpose. As at minimum Pogi needs to do a Pantani as early as stage two, surely that if not utilizing on the bump added to stage one. And the projections then goes for Pogi to keep leaders jersey till the finish of the last stage in Nice! So good luck with preserving energy.

The weather will likely be sunny and not rain through and thorough like last year. All people that complained last year should hence get what they are after in this edition.

The double attempt must be taken seriously, this indeed could be the year. Two realistic double attempts possible in 2024 season.

All in all i feel that some exaggeration is at play before the GT season start. Still hype trains in sport can be rather enjoyable if the train is riding on semi real rails. And with Pogi one could say that.

Theres little buzz indeed. Clearly Remco and Rogla are more exciting riders tham The Mountain Sprinter.

Meanwhile, will be interesting to see if Pog changes bikes in the 1st ITT, mifht give somewthing away about how heavy the setup is. I dont think it makes sense to switch at all though

Ok, we have up to 3 sprints in a stage, 2 have time bonuses, 1 is the Intergiro, but which has the points for the points jersey? :confused:
I posted the table above, but here is also a slightly better looking one

on2H2zk.png

Ok, thanks for the post!
So first sprint is for the points jersey and the Int. Sprint competition, Intergiro sprint is for the Points jersey and the Intergiro points competition and has time bonuses, the third sprint has time bonuses and the Int. Sprint competition. All as clear as mud! Int. Sprint Classification goes to the points jersey too or ... ?

I think the Giro will be a pleasent surprise for almost everyone and very nice racing.

Like most in life its due to expectations. Also theres alot of people with nothing to loose so all inn full gas.
Yeah, it will be a open race. Very anxious to see uijdtbroeks and tiberi fighting mano a mano against Pogacar.

Now seriously, at least, even if in advance we already know that Pogacar will win the Giro, it's still better to see him in the race than 3 wheelsuckers doing nothing during all the Giro.

Bonus
Points Classification
Intergiro Classification
1st Sprint (red S)
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
2nd Sprint (I)
3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1​
3rd Sprint (pink S)
3-2-1​
10-6-3-2-1​
Finish
10-6-4​
Who's going to be the first GC guy to try to win bonus seconds in the first sprint without knowing that it doesn't actually awards any bonus seconds?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan