• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Porto Recanti - Cesenatico (223km)

The Giro continues northwards and returns to the Emilia-Romagna, with a finish in the seaside town of Cesenatico, which was Marco Pantani's hometown, having been born just down the road in Cesena, having lived there for much of his life. Cesenatico is also within driving distance of yet another pearl of medieval Italian beauty in the city of Forli, as well as to Rimini, possibly Italy's most popular seaside resort, and the place where il Pirata met his tragic end.

While there are some pretty steep looking lumps in close proximity to the finish I have my doubts it will be enough for every single fast man to be shelled before the finish line is reached. With Italy overjoyed with the first victory of the Giro I will tip Pozzato to send the trifosi into raptures and get a double victory for the Italian fans.

alt_13new_600.jpg

pla_13new_600.jpg

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
How big are those climbs? Surely there is enough time for people to catch back on. However, you're right. Pozzato could very well do the double here in the same fashion as today.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
This is the one I have been waiting for! I've stayed in that part of the world twice so I know a fair few of those roads, including the climb up the Barbotto. I am really looking forward to watching this.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Landis to sneak in to the peleton all doped up and take the stage. Rest of the riders come in out of time and lose all the points they have collected so far.

Jamsque said:
This is the one I have been waiting for! I've stayed in that part of the world twice so I know a fair few of those roads, including the climb up the Barbotto. I am really looking forward to watching this.

Both the climbs look menacing. Is the descent tricky?

Chances of a big sprint finish 1/100.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Barbotto has one kilometre that averages over 10% and has pitches of 18%, so it is an ideal launching pad for a move. The descent is not super technical but it is pretty narrow. I thought today would be a sprint but it wasn't, so I doubt tomorrow will be. I can see another small move with a handful of GC favourites getting away on the Barbotto.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the break's gonna make it tomorrow because the sprinters' teams won't be interested in catching the break.

little off-topic question for you guys:

who do you think will get more and better top 20 results in the 9 left stages:

Garzelli or Nibali? would be glad for any sophisticated suggestions

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Kiserlovski to attack on the first climb, being chased down by Vino, Evans etc. Agnoli counterattacking, same chase group. Nibali attacking, chased by the favourites, followed by Basso.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Could be a nervous stage with some stupid crashes. Day before the assent of Monte Grappa may see Liquigas try something.

Not that they've been terrible so far, but tomorrow may be the first stern test to see how Cervelo can respond to some well organized attacks.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Looks good for the Ardennes riders in the GC contest to claw some time back from Sastre, Arroyo etc. If Evans misses this break, I'll be a monkey's uncle. New scrappy Evans takes it in a 4-way bike throw with Vino, Cunego and Nibali, and I almost cream myself in excitement. Oh ****, I can't watch tomorrow's stage! Oh well.

[edit] climb detail (pdf)

[edit] Yeah, see below. Tried to find an image on the Gazzetta site, but could only get the pdf, and couldn't do anything with it. Hey ho.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Zerak-Tul said:
Evans to miss the break and have his team nowhere in sight.

Almost goes without saying that his team won't be there, but unless the physical strain is taking it's toll, which it may well be, I think he'll get into the break. It's not really going to be a surprise when a move goes (on the first climb, I guess) so thinking about it, it might just be a case of every rider capable of following does, and there's sort of a split. Maybe more attacks from that group nearer the finish.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
If Evans gets in a break, no one will work with him. They will want him out of there as it means they won't last.

Whether the break lasts or not depends on how strong the break is as well as the license it's given by the peloton. Say it's 15 strong riders looking for the stage, or an advantage on their GC rivals. I wouldn't expect that to come back if it contained Evans, Vino, Sastre, or none of them.

taiwan said:
Almost goes without saying that his team won't be there, but unless the physical strain is taking it's toll, which it may well be, I think he'll get into the break. It's not really going to be a surprise when a move goes (on the first climb, I guess) so thinking about it, it might just be a case of every rider capable of following does, and there's sort of a split. Maybe more attacks from that group nearer the finish.

To be fair, today is the last day BMC may have of doing anything which resembles "support".

The four of them left need to go full gas over the first climb and then just drop out - job done.

The sprinters' teams are done for really, Team Ground can't be relied upon to chase it. Garmin will have too many guys out the back of the first climb to keep a chase up. All the same guys as yesterday will attack (+ Evans) and it will be up to Caisse/Cervelo/Saxo to do the chasing if indeed their men miss the split.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks these flattish Giro stages have so far been far more exciting than the mountain stages in recent tours? It has been great spectacle so far, though I'm sure it's bee very frustrating for some riders. Seems like there are no days where the peloton takes a breather.

Great TV (well, great internet video feed, at least)

Mellow Velo said:
Or if you like:

salite_13.jpg

A pity they are so far from the finish cos it's a great launch pad.
Must be a group effort from the favs again.

those two climbs are quite enough to do some damage.... Evans is likely to get caught in a "non-sense" situation once more & Liquigas is desperate to create an split that holds to the finish line, time is running out for many to get back in contention!!!!!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
If Evans gets in a break, no one will work with him. They will want him out of there as it means they won't last.

:confused: If another gc rider(s) get in there they will work with him as they need time and will not worry who is in there.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
damn, i'll have to miss another interesting stage.:mad:

looking at altimetry i think a breakaway can stay out whilst te gc guys will be controlling eath other and taking a breather before the final stages.

I hope this is a boring stage. I'm exhausted after Stage 11 on Wednesday and the other thing yesterday. And with the last ever Ashes to Ashes where the true nature of Gene Hunt is revealed on tonight, I don't think I have the energy for an exciting Giro stage too.

So. Meh. Goss for the win.

TRENDING THREADS