• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'Italia: Stage 5: Piombino - Orvieto 191 Kms

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Ofcourse not, Contador is smart. I can't see him waisting powers here for 20 seconds or 30 seconds.
When you can take minutes on Zoncolan etcetera.

Actually wanted to quote Waterloo, but was to lazy to look for his post :p

If what he says is correct than everyone is going to finish 10 minutes+ behind in the GC :p

Besides the winner of course. I could perhaps see him grab the stage win if it's possible without attacking for bonus seconds(I don't think he'll take rosa with 20 boni seconds)

cineteq said:

talk about bad luck. he would be there no doubt if it weren't for that. i guess machado losing time will only be good for us as he try to pull some crazy stuff to regain it. i have no doubts about that. besides we haven't even reached the firt mountain yet and 3 minutes isn't much. top 10 is still well within his reach

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Or he could ride like a mental and die on his **** after 2.5 weeks.

Meanwhile we all know Lofkvist will be lucky to get top 20 - it's not like he actually has experience, or has finished solidly in the Tour (where all the riders are crap) despite having to drag a lazy teammate up all the hills.

Yay received wisdom Yay.
I see your point, but Lövkvist isn't a pure climber so it's no surprise people give him less room for improvement in a course like this.

edit: also, someone should settle this once and for all: how the hell is it supposed to be spelled? Look at the Swedish Wikipedia:
Thomas Lövkvist

Personlig information
Namn Karl Thomas Henry Löfkvist
(...)
Thomas "Gotland" Löfkvist, född 4 april 1984 i Visby, är en svensk professionell cyklist.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
edit: also, someone should settle this once and for all: how the hell is it supposed to be spelled? Look at the Swedish Wikipedia:

We must nickname him... his last name is too hard... also Ingsve is always laughing at us for always write in the wrong way his name...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'm just saying that if it was Contador who did that he'd get tons of criticism. From the media and definitely on this forum.

I really doubt that. You're being a drama queen.
And weening isn't ac, victories don't come regular for this guy, certainly not at this magnitude. And the way weening held on, no doubt he had nothing on his mind except that he just pulled it off.

@ The Lofkist critiscm.
The guy came 2nd and 1st the last two times he rode Strade Bianche.
Think he is very strong at this. And I think he would have liked to win this, thus the work.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I see your point, but Lövkvist isn't a pure climber so it's no surprise people give him less room for improvement in a course like this.

Lövkvist and Löfkvist means the same thing (Leaf-twig) and is pronounced the same way, the f-variant is the spelling before reform in 1906. However, when the spelling changed not all names were changed.

Legally his name is Löfkvist and so he was forced to change his preferred spelling of it (by UCI or someone or another) from the variant all of his family uses.

(Possible combinations of this surname is L[ö/o/öö][v/f][q/k][w/v/u]ist)

The short of it: Löfkvist

May 27, 2010
Visit site
MAN OF THE DAY: MARTIN KOHLER
this relatively unknown guy from BMC showed us what he was made off today. He really gained my respect. now i wonder if he will defend the jersey.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Result
1 Martin Kohler (Swi) BMC Racing Team 10 pts
2 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Colnago - CSF Inox 8
3 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Team Garmin-Cervelo 5
4 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Pro Team Astana 3
5 Sebastian Lang (Ger) Omega Pharma-Lotto 3
6 Pavel Brutt (Rus) Katusha Team 3
7 Pablo Lastras Garcia (Spa) Movistar Team 2
8 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre - ISD 2
9 Valerio Agnoli (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 2
10 Bart De Clercq (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 2
11 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 1
12 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha Team 1
13 Cristiano Salerno (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 1
14 Filippo Savini (Ita) Colnago - CSF Inox 1
15 Davide Ricci Bitti (Ita) Farnese Vini - Neri Sottoli 1

Bit too early to start defending if he wants to keep it in the break again or be very very lucky - it was a great single man ride but lets not get ahead of ourselves .

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I find this result fascinating. That lead group is such a tightly targeted group. I was not able to watch vision so had to follow the text here and the cn live report and had the impression the lead group was larger.

But that 20 rider group is so specifically GC its amazing, almost none of the serious gc contenders missing and almost entirely consisting of the GC riders, there is such an odd lack of puncheurs and stage hunters.. amazing..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
MAN OF THE DAY: MARTIN KOHLER
this relatively unknown guy from BMC showed us what he was made off today. He really gained my respect. now i wonder if he will defend the jersey.

I agree. Bit early to start worrying about defending the jersey. I highly doubt he will lose in todays stage but will lose it at Etna. I'd imagine Tschopp will have a go on the stage to Etna.

craig1985 said:
I know it probably has been covered, but did they have to show Slagter down on the ground so many times?
Well, I for one think it was good they showed him, because he was moving and after the initial shock everyone around him seemed to be pretty calm. In other words, it was reassuring to see he was (mostly) alright. If they hadn't showed him again, everyone would have worried more than necessary. Take into account the cameraman kept his distance so it wasn't disrespectful.
meandmygitane said:
Lövkvist and Löfkvist means the same thing (Leaf-twig) and is pronounced the same way, the f-variant is the spelling before reform in 1906. However, when the spelling changed not all names were changed.

Legally his name is Löfkvist and so he was forced to change his preferred spelling of it (by UCI or someone or another) from the variant all of his family uses.

(Possible combinations of this surname is L[ö/o/öö][v/f][q/k][w/v/u]ist)

The short of it: Löfkvist
Oh gods, that doesn't settle it for me. It seems to imply he prefers the old v-variant, and that he keeps using it for personal, non-official matters, and who cares about the law after all - I fight it all the time. :(

(Seriously though, thanks for the explanation)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I really doubt that. You're being a drama queen.
And weening isn't ac, victories don't come regular for this guy, certainly not at this magnitude. And the way weening held on, no doubt he had nothing on his mind except that he just pulled it off.

@ The Lofkist critiscm.
The guy came 2nd and 1st the last two times he rode Strade Bianche.
Think he is very strong at this. And I think he would have liked to win this, thus the work.

He was already called cold hearted because he took 2 bonus seconds on stage 3 :rolleyes:

El Pistolero said:
And to be honest, I thought it was a bit of a **** move to be cheering like that on the finish line and podium, but perhaps it just wasn't on his mind in the heath of the moment. It's no big deal at all. But if it was Contador that did that people would be all over him right now...

Maybe, but it also was a much bigger victory for Weening than it would have been for Contador so it's only natural the former would be more cheerful about it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Falls yesterday apart from Slagter

Millar, Vicioso, Butler, Porte, Wyss, Rovny, Dupont, Jackson Rodriguez, Kiryienka, Konovalovas, Dessel, Moreno Fernandez, Mazzanti, Favilli, Van Winden, Bozic, Oroz Ugalde e Failli

I also saw Cataldo end up in a ditch. That one looked nasty.

@el pickle; 1 member doesn't represent the forum. AC clearly had no idea.

so apparently even tho machado thought he wasn't a big fan of the strade bianche and was expecting to lose time (which he did due to some major bad luck) he ended up finding the stage super fun and said he really enjoyed it.

always cool to see some1 admitting he was wrong and not being a major p*ssie

Just a question.

Slagter crashed while receiving a bottle from the Euskatel car. This is not me trying to blame it on Euskatel.

Stetina had mechanical problems and received a front wheel from Saxo Bank.

Is that normal procedure during extreme conditions? The whole giving stuff to rivaling riders.

(I also noticed that one of the people bend over Slagter was a Saxo-guy.)

RedheadDane said:
Just a question.

Slagter crashed while receiving a bottle from the Euskatel car. This is not me trying to blame it on Euskatel.

Stetina had mechanical problems and received a front wheel from Saxo Bank.

Is that normal procedure during extreme conditions? The whole giving stuff to rivaling riders.

(I also noticed that one of the people bend over Slagter was a Saxo-guy.)
yes, it's standard.

(just as one of the first on the scene with WW was Garmin's sports director.)