• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'Italia: Stage 5: Piombino - Orvieto 191 Kms

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thomsena said:
****ing hell. Slagter with a broken jaw and several cuts to his face. Could easily have been worse. I'm afraid this won't be the last serious crash to this tour. Nervous bunch of riders out there - especially the young and inexperienced ones.

Broken "eyesocket" actually. Not sure if that's the correct english word for it.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
Ridiculous. The course is great. The Strade Bianchi and sterrato is fantastic.

It was an unfortunate accident and because all the racers didn't abandon, the announcer quits. I am saddened by the passing of WW, but there was an entire stage dedicated to his memory. His team, plus Farrar, decided not to continue. That should be the end of it and the race goes on.

Erm, he probably knew WW personally. Belgian commentators are quite close with a lot of Belgian cyclists. Karl knows the race has to go on, has never said the opposite.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Thomsena said:
****ing hell. Slagter with a broken jaw and several cuts to his face. Could easily have been worse. I'm afraid this won't be the last serious crash to this tour. Nervous bunch of riders out there - especially the young and inexperienced ones.

With respect, that's a load of crap.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
Ridiculous. The course is great. The Strade Bianchi and sterrato is fantastic.

It was an unfortunate accident and because all the racers didn't abandon, the announcer quits. I am saddened by the passing of WW, but there was an entire stage dedicated to his memory. His team, plus Farrar, decided not to continue. That should be the end of it and the race goes on.
No, the announcer quits because it was emotionally to heavy for him. Totally understandable.

Thomsena said:
It was a very unfortunate incident with Slagter and the Euskaltel soigneur, I don't think it had anything to do with the experience of either of them.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
With respect, that's a load of crap.

Of course it's not. Everybody oozes nervousness. Riders complaining about stage 14 now more than ever, nothing but crashes today, commentators fears the worst everytime a rider is down or having a puncture - at least our commentators - soigneurs ****s up and afterwords almost makes matters worse with almost panicking at the scene.

It's not necessary the young riders who are being affected the most but you do often connect inexperience with shaky performances in every sport. It would be a freaking lie if a death among the riders did not have an effect in the peloton - riders and crew - in one way or another.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Serpa was tho... He was in the colombian pursuit team IIRC...

I think that He will try but won't have a BIG gap... Scarponi is really in form looking sooo sharp an eager to attack as We saw today... The same for Il Squalo as We saw today in the descent!

yeah but he was talking about duarte. uran also comes from track. MANY colombians actually do, because there's many track cyclists in colombia and it's pretty popular and big. they aren't bad in it either

cineteq said:

Really? i thought he just blew up. Its good to know that. Still think the time lost is too much for him to make up in the mountains regardless. He cant afford to have any mistakes and we dont really know how he's going to respond in the 3rd week anyway so a top 5 like some suggested should defo be out the question.

luckyboy said:
I meant where were people getting the idea that he would be top 5 before this stage? I only just noticed that people were saying it's out of reach for him now.
Lots of people see him as a relatively safe bet for a top 10, with potential for a top 5 if he goes exceedingly well, thanks to several factors: he can climb, he can TT (not much time-trialing in this Giro, but it still helps), he's still youngish and has shown promise, and more importantly, he's nuts, the kind of rider you can expect to pull unbelievable stuff in a tough mountain stage, getting into early attacks or whatever.

hrotha said:
Lots of people see him as a relatively safe bet for a top 10, with potential for a top 5 if he goes exceedingly well, thanks to several factors: he can climb, he can TT (not much time-trialing in this Giro, but it still helps), he's still youngish and has shown promise, and more importantly, he's nuts, the kind of rider you can expect to pull unbelievable stuff in a tough mountain stage, getting into early attacks or whatever.

Or he could ride like a mental and die on his **** after 2.5 weeks.

Meanwhile we all know Lofkvist will be lucky to get top 20 - it's not like he actually has experience, or has finished solidly in the Tour (where all the riders are crap) despite having to drag a lazy teammate up all the hills.

Yay received wisdom Yay.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Meh, montevergine is easy, but not that easy.

usually after 15 riders the gap is 30 sec, then after 25 it's 1 minute and more

Andorra climb that was in Catalunya is also pretty easy, but Scarponi lost 23 seconds there.

But anyway, still early in the Giro, no way Contador will take maglia rosa here. So I can see a big group of favorites sprinting for the victory there. Probably Duarte if he can hang on. I just don't see Contador attack here. I don't think he'll do anything till Glossnocker. Or however it's spelled.

the forum has not melted down with pro- columbia sentiments, yet they finished 2-3. nice ride by weening, good of contador to survive, good that liquigas tried to distance him and nice last ditch effort by Scarponi. Tschopp survived pity he did not attack, Porte did good for Contador, but has lost all chance of GC hopes.

El Pistolero said:
Andorra climb that was in Catalunya is also pretty easy, but Scarponi lost 23 seconds there.

But anyway, still early in the Giro, no way Contador will take maglia rosa here. So I can see a big group of favorites sprinting for the victory there. Probably Duarte if he can hang on. I just don't see Contador attack here. I don't think he'll do anything till Glossnocker. Or however it's spelled.

Ofcourse not, Contador is smart. I can't see him waisting powers here for 20 seconds or 30 seconds.
When you can take minutes on Zoncolan etcetera.