• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

giro doping thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
Benotti69 said:
Looks like an ill person.....so skinny

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/729400592884436992

Hesjedal (?) getting a massage....

if you followed Hesjedal since at least 2012... he's always been this skinny
He was even skinnier in 2013, apparently he was a bit under 68kg at the start of the 2013 Giro, back then he tried to go full Wiggo. He was flying durning the first week of the 2013 Giro, probably his best first week as a gt leader (ok, he lost some time on the Firenze stage, but other than that he was great), but then the wheels fell off the wagon.

Praying Mantis said:
After approximately ten kilometres, I lost my computer and my bottle. I indicated to my sport director to pick my computer but I'm not sure if he understood what I was telling him. I also lost motivation and I decided to take it easy. But I was feeling fantastic uphill so I just pushed and pushed for the fun of it. I was really slow and unlucky at the beginning but very fast and lucky at the end because I only felt a drop or two while the riders after me got the pouring rain. This is strange, very strange.

wtf?

Re:

vedrafjord said:
Who'll be improbably strong in the third week? Italian Pro Conti riders with treacle for blood? Or Eastern Europeans with TUEs for heart conditions?

So far my second prediction was more accurate than my first one, although there's still plenty of time left. This Giro doesn't seem as ridiculous as last year's one so far - although we can only guess what Landa would have done on stage 14. Alexander "6.2 w/kg after two weeks" Foliforov might give us more surprises, Michele Scarponi will continue to turn back the clock. I'm expecting at the very least some more post-rest day weirdness tomorrow.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
During the Armstrong years (90s to mid/ late 00's)what was the average speed of a mountain stage like this in the 3rd week of any grand tour?

Mayomaniac said:
pastronef said:
Benotti69 said:
Looks like an ill person.....so skinny

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/729400592884436992

Hesjedal (?) getting a massage....

if you followed Hesjedal since at least 2012... he's always been this skinny
He was even skinnier in 2013, apparently he was a bit under 68kg at the start of the 2013 Giro, back then he tried to go full Wiggo. He was flying durning the first week of the 2013 Giro, probably his best first week as a gt leader (ok, he lost some time on the Firenze stage, but other than that he was great), but then the wheels fell off the wagon.

Nice to see that compression socks are still en vogue, thanks to Lance.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Just did a little comparison between today & the 2004 giro stage 17 as both are mountain stages after the final rest day in week 3, with the 2004 stage 21km longer. Today's stage was 3kmh faster than 2004, even taking in the fact that today's stage is shorter that's very interesting, as 2004 was right in the middle of the doping years.

Re:

gazr99 said:
Just did a little comparison between today & the 2004 giro stage 17 as both are mountain stages after the final rest day in week 3, with the 2004 stage 21km longer. Today's stage was 3kmh faster than 2004, even taking in the fact that today's stage is shorter that's very interesting, as 2004 was right in the middle of the doping years.

Look, comparisons like that is useless. It was like when Benotti concluded they all were doping when they rode 15 minutes faster in Liege.. despite them having to ride 15 kilometres less!
Today's start was false flat, slightly descending, then a long, gradual climb on the big ring, then basically false flat onto the foot of Paganella

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
gazr99 said:

Look, comparisons like that is useless. It was like when Benotti concluded they all were doping when they rode 15 minutes faster in Liege.. despite them having to ride 15 kilometres less!
Today's start was false flat, slightly descending, then a long, gradual climb on the big ring, then basically false flat onto the foot of Paganella

Yes comparisons are not entirely accurate, but then again look at Piti, better at 36 than 26....better diet, but then lets not compare anything.... :rolleyes:

If anyone thinks these guys are not juiced, i have a pyramid scheme you will be very interested in :D

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
gazr99 said:

I agree a comparison like that would never near definite evidence that they are doping, but felt it would be at least an interesting comparison that during similar stages of a giro they are quicker today than 10 years ago when riders were known to be doping. Thought it would at worst be an interesting stat that would get some people thinking

May 26, 2010
Visit site

gazr99 said:
Valv.Piti said:
gazr99 said:

I agree a comparison like that would never near definite evidence that they are doping, but felt it would be at least an interesting comparison that during similar stages of a giro they are quicker today than 10 years ago when riders were known to be doping. Thought it would at worst be an interesting stat that would get some people thinking

No need to think they are doping. It is obvious.

TRENDING THREADS