• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

giro doping thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
gmedina said:
the more i look at Kruijswijk, the more he is reminding me of LA....
Reminds me more of Wiggins. Armstrong, for all his faults, was pretty entertaining at times and rode with a fair bit of panache. Kruijswijk, like Wiggins, is just grinding the life out of the GC battle.

Certainly descends like Wiggins
I don't remember Armstrong being entertaining, apart from when he was interviewed by Oprey.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

DFA123 said:
Perhaps a bit harsh on Kruijswijk today, but there is something satisfying about pivotal moments in races resting on bike handling (or lack of it). It's still the one part of cycling that doping and motors can have little influence over.

how about some kind of autopilot?

autonomous cars are almost in the production stage... why not something similar for bike, perhaps with fresh road condition data update (on a turn-by-turn basis) from a morning motoman ride

doperhopper said:
DFA123 said:
Perhaps a bit harsh on Kruijswijk today, but there is something satisfying about pivotal moments in races resting on bike handling (or lack of it). It's still the one part of cycling that doping and motors can have little influence over.

how about some kind of autopilot?

autonomous cars are almost in the production stage... why not something similar for bike, perhaps with fresh road condition data update (on a turn-by-turn basis) from a morning motoman ride
I'm sure that Shimano and Sram will try to introduce something ridiculous like that in the not too distant future.

I remember reading about riders (I think it was Terpstra), using the map on their Garmin to get the best reading of the road and the corners ahead. So I guess with that, and if disc brakes get the go ahead again, the encroachment of technology into descending skills will already be in full swing.

Re:

DFA123 said:

Of course dope works for descending as well. Juiced up on EPO/blood makes you fresher and therefore more relaxed and aware once over the top. Stimulants also helps (just not use too much!).

el chava said:
DFA123 said:

Of course dope works for descending as well. Juiced up on EPO/blood makes you fresher and therefore more relaxed and aware once over the top. Stimulants also helps (just not use too much!).
Agreed - hence saying little, rather than no influence :)

It's a pretty marginal advantage though. And a tired, excellent descender will certainly be able to put a fresher, poor descender to the sword.

I wish they'd make bike handling a bigger factor in races. Perhaps even the odd technical downhill TT. It would punish the guys whose lack of skill contributes to more crashes in the peloton as well.

Franklin said:
hrotha said:
CheckMyPecs said:
jmdirt said:
Another funny thing is that Bettini, the poster boys for how well doping can work, is one of the vocal critics.
When did Bettini ever test positive?
Don't embarrass yourself with this kind of argument. :eek:
Well, he's got the core of why doping can not be eradicated squarely in his sights.

Seriously, Bettini never tested positive, so he's for all purposes a clean rider. And yes, we know this is likely a scam (about as likely as I'm Eddy Merckx hiding behind this nikc), but that's not that important.
Bettini needed a court injunction just to ride the 2007 worlds, because he kicked up such a stink about the UCI's anti doping charter that he refused to sign. He's also been accused of supplying teammates and tipping off riders before tests. He was also mentored by Michele Bartoli.

I'll leave it there.

DFA123 said:
It's a pretty marginal advantage though. And a tired, excellent descender will certainly be able to put a fresher, poor descender to the sword.
The gap has to be big pretty big for that to be true though. I've mentioned this before, but in 2005, Ardila got annoyed with how slow Salvodelli (arguably the best in history) was descending off Finestre, almost crashed them both on a turn, and ended up saving Salvodelli's Giro by pacing him nearly all the way down (and nearly all the way back up). Now Ardila was underrated as a descender, but it's hard to say he's was as good as Il Falco.

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Pantani Attacks said:
Franklin said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Juicing to the levels they are at their age to get to the same level as their younger peers is not good for one's body, specifically the heart. Both will probably drop dead before they turn 60.
Or next year 27 april 2017 the city of Stuttgart will be hit by a rainstorm.

Seriously, there's no way you can estimate when a future athlete dies. Freg, I lost two colleagues under 60 this year and they sure as hell did not dope. I'm not convinced if what a guy like Valverde does is more unhealthy than smoking. The fact he's so consistent could also mean it's very well monitored.

We are no physicans (and even they do not know!). Claims like these are utterly random.

You're seriously implying taking substances that are completely unnatural to the body do not deter health and life expectancy? This isn't a chocolate bar or a bag of chips we're talking about, it's stuff that puts intense strain on the bodies organs. Of course it's shortening their life.

Dosages are small. Pros are not.dropping like flies.

Areas outside cycling that involve drug use as pretty much standard have guys taking 1-2 grams/wk. Pros used to use a maximum of 200mg/wk Deca at best. Even test no more than 250mg/wk required. The risk was when they boosted haematocrit to 60+ but.now they are low-mid 40S so cardiac issues are no longer there.

If you are susceptible to having health issues you will know well before you start to play with big time programs because you will see issues come up on just small programs.

May 15, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Kicker661 said:
.... when they boosted haematocrit to 60+ but.now they are low-mid 40S so cardiac issues are no longer there.
Proof please.

Shall we review the impressive performance gains over weeks of recovery doping?

Proof of what? Riders in the hard doping era were tapping high numbers. Bloodpassport are under 50 and here people have posted data from riders in the low to mid 40s in grand tours.

Or is that not correct and you say riders now are well over the 50 limit?