• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 9: Benevento – S.Giorgio del Sannio 215 kms

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

damian13ster said:
Miburo said:
I don't think there's much wrong of aru to do it but at the same time it's understandable contador is upset.

Aru asks him to work together to distance Uran who isn't a real threat for Contador but he definitely is for aru who has a **** ITT.

So contador probably was like "yea i guess i can do some pulls to help you, doesn't matter for me either way that much."

And then aru clearly tries to take time on him with that move after contador just pulled. Aru can do whatever he wants but i don't think it was worth to make contador upset.

Suuuuuuuurreee.. Because Contador didn't want to put more time into Uran, the rider who was likely to pass him in GC after TT if not for today's stage forcing him to attack later in the race and spend energy instead of wheelsucking for rest of the Giro.

What a load of crap.
Contador worked because it benefited him as well, not because he was doing a favor for anyone
Why are you so negative?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
I am not negative, but when someone says something ridiculous I am going to call them out on it.
Saying that Contador didn't benefit from cooperation with Astana today is ridiculous

Did i say that? Look up my quote again.

Don't misquote people, it's just sad.

Yeah, I bolded your quote. It clearly states "yea i guess i can do some pulls to help you, doesn't matter for me either way that much".

This is not true. It matters a lot, for the reasons I explained. Having pink after TT is huge, and Uran was one of the 2 biggest (if not the biggest) threat to take it from Contador during TT.
So getting rid of him matters. So he was not 'doing some pulls to help you', he was doing them because it benefits him.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
Yeah, I bolded your quote. It clearly states "yea i guess i can do some pulls to help you, doesn't matter for me either way that much".

This is not true. It matters a lot, for the reasons I explained. Having pink after TT is huge, and Uran was one of the 2 biggest (if not the biggest) threat to take it from Contador during TT.
So getting rid of him matters. So he was not 'doing some pulls to help you', he was doing them because it benefits him.

It doesn't matter that much for Contador. That's what i said cause uran is a scrub compared to contador in the mountains.

How is having pink after itt huge? Contador will destroy him in week 3, when has uran proven to be remotely close to contador in the mountains?

You don't know much of cycling, don't act like you do.

damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
rm7 said:
Anyone with a video of the last climb? Can only find for the last 8km at Steephill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlx4I53JpQM

Porte's accelerations are really sub-par. Don't believe he can gain time in the mountains unless he will ride everyone off his wheel with steady pace. He really has all the eggs in one basket (TT)

To be fair to Porte though, it's a pretty big basket.

More Strides than Rides said:
damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
rm7 said:
Anyone with a video of the last climb? Can only find for the last 8km at Steephill.

Porte's accelerations are really sub-par. Don't believe he can gain time in the mountains unless he will ride everyone off his wheel with steady pace. He really has all the eggs in one basket (TT)

Porte will not overtake Contador on GC in the TT, you heard it here first (well not really :p )

LaFlorecita said:
More Strides than Rides said:
damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
rm7 said:

Porte will not overtake Contador on GC in the TT, you heard it here first (well not really :p )

The TT is so long that I think the outcome is unpredictable. Could be some huge time gaps though. I'm with you that Porte doesn't seem too capable to take back more than 20 sec on Contador but on the other hand he is riding like he is just waiting for the TT to smash it.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:

It doesn't matter to Contador that much, cause he was 1.24 on Uran before this stage, he'll hardly loose that to Uran in this form, unlike Aru who is bad TT-er. That's why Aru and Landa had to pull, and that's why Aru asked Contador to pull, not the other way around. Secondly if he loose that time in ITT, he knows he will gain that back whenever and wherever he wants, so no it was not such a big deal for him.

Seems like this stage wasn't worth much more than the 4 min youtube recap. Bein will have a highlight show on later on directv. Skimming through the last 100 posts or so and reading the sniping back and forth has been entertaining, though! :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
We're now getting to the he didn't care but he pulled cause he's gentleman narrative. Thanks.

Who said that besides the people 'defending aru'?

Give me the quotes of people actually saying that as an argument to defend Contador?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ggusta said:
Seems like this stage wasn't worth much more than the 4 min youtube recap. Bein will have a highlight show on later on directv. Skimming through the last 100 posts or so and reading the sniping back and forth has been entertaining, though! :)

It was shaping up to have a lot of potential, but then a motorcycle crashed on a descent that apparently had gravel on it. When the commissaires neutralized the descent, it allowed the split peloton to re-form.

I'm curious as to how Contador would've held up if there hadn't been a neutralization, so Astana could just go for it when several Tinkoffs were dropped.

Re: Re:

Beech Mtn said:
ggusta said:

It was shaping up to have a lot of potential, but then a motorcycle crashed on a descent that apparently had gravel on it. When the commissaires neutralized the descent, it allowed the split peloton to re-form.

I'm curious as to how Contador would've held up if there hadn't been a neutralization, so Astana could just go for it when several Tinkoffs were dropped.

Absolutely no doubt that the neutralization allowed dropped TS riders to return. It would have been a very exciting stage without that. But it happened so we'll never know.

Re:

damian13ster said:

+1

Re:

damian13ster said:
I am not negative, but when someone says something ridiculous I am going to call them out on it.
Saying that Contador didn't benefit from cooperation with Astana today is ridiculous

You are obviously right. Contador said in Processo alla tappa that Uran was good yesterday and you have to put more time on it, becouse he has respect for all the rivals, and is a great rider and in an ITT like this if someone has not a good day can lose easy 2 minutes (I think that more) The same said Landa and Aru.

In the forums sometimes ridiculous become in the right think if lot of people think the same...

Landa is not very strong in the flat, so in that final part if only Landa work the second group could rejoin, so if Porte wanted Contador must work.

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the Conti-Aru discussion, for the life of me I can't understand why people always try to view these things through their own moral frameworks. Just appreciate the facts, that they worked together to distance Uran and that Conti was peeved that Aru subsequently sprinted at the line for his own reasons.

I love the fact that now we've got some feeling between the two (doesn't matter who is 'right' or 'wrong'), and that my viewing pleasure for the next 2 weeks is likely to be enhanced as a result.