• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Granny Ring

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not normally. They may go as low as a 34 for their 2nd ring and say a 26 at the back. but in the Giro 2 yrs ago some used a granny ring in the mountain timetrial. I guess 3 rings may heighten the risk of mechanical problems too.

I know a mountain race I did once where I wish I had a granny ring. One section was so steep I almost came to a crawl. (having a 38/21 lowest gear at the back didn't help).

Archibald said:
this may sound like a completely stupid question, but do the pro riders have (and use) the granny ring?
[just wondering regarding the alps in the tour]

I think for the really steep climbs they may use a compact(50-34) but no triples AFAIK this TdF. Campagnolo and Sram not triple compatible anyway, Campagnolo since the 'new' lever intro in 2009.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
slcbiker said:
Supposedly in the past there were pros using triples on Angiliru and Motirolo, but I don't know that I've ever seen a picture.

Heras used a triple on Angliru a few years back when he won the stage there. Not sure if Contador did though.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I remember an interview of Leiphemer talking about compact cranks, sayin on a moutain stage, we was spinning a 50/34 with a 11-28 and that Alberto had a 50/34 with a 30 at the back... I don't know how they achieved having a 30 teeth cog at the back (SRAM and Shimano end at 28 while Campy has a 29) unless they were using a mountain bike cassette.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
sherer said:
Heras used a triple on Angliru a few years back when he won the stage there. Not sure if Contador did though.

Hmm... the Angliru hits about a 24% grade, so you'd be hoping they had some easy gears going.