• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great moments in cycling commentating

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Finnish Eurosport's long time commentator Peter Selin is a great commentator who nowadays works with his son Christian Selin. Christian isn't very colourful (yet) but Peter certainly is. Some of his memorable quotes

"Ajaa peräsuoli pitkänä" which could be translated something like "He's riding his rectum out!"

"The babyfat has burned from this fella"

"He can smell the sweet scent of victory in his nostrils"

"Cycling's rock n' roll and boogie woogie" When there are a lot of attacks.

When a cyclist back from suspension crashed Selin said something like "He must have been so juiced up he couldn't see"

On a Tour Stage the Neuschwanstein Castle was shown and Peter and Christian started arguing about whether it was in Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella. Christian saying it's Cinderella and Peter saying it's Sleeping Beauty. At some point Peter said "Seems like your mother and I did something wrong. Maybe she didn't read you fairy tales"

And one time when there were cattle beside the road Christian was like "If a male cow is a bull then what is a female cow called?" Peter answered " I can't remember right now, let's just call it a houswife"

Often when there are cattle Peter says "PRRRR MANSIKKI!" Prr is used to call cattle and Mansikki is a stereotypical cow name in Finland.

One time Christian surprised with a good joke "If that guy falls, no car can go past him" when a fat man was running on the road and almost tripped.

Among the cycling fans in Finland Peter Selin is a legend, but for some reason when I'm watching cycling my sisters and mother always diss him.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
lancaster said:
what was meant by "wat doe je nu" google says it means "what are you doing". but could someone translate the sentiment for me. ie. does it mean "you've gone too early" or "do you understand how big this is" or anything else for that matter.

It's more or less like this

It means: Have you got any idea of what you're pulling of here? Amazing!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
lancaster said:
what was meant by "wat doe je nu" google says it means "what are you doing". but could someone translate the sentiment for me. ie. does it mean "you've gone too early" or "do you understand how big this is" or anything else for that matter.

That one.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I remember another one from Wuyts at the Tour

Co-commentator: They've done some hair tests on cyclists this Tour to test for doping
*Gesink appears on the TV*
Wuyts: Kale Gesink(bold Gesink) doesn't have much hair on his head. Perhaps they took it from another place.
Co-commentator: I wouldn't want to have that job!

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Descender said:
This is the first cycling memory I have. The first Spanish world champion crossing the line with a flat tire with Indurain beating Pantani and Gianetti for the silver medal behind, commentated by Pedro Delgado and the legendary Pedro González, who unfortunately passed away after a sudden heart attack at age 47 four years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rZhCYVRQIE

I love how Indurain goes "nobody f***ing move" when Olano attacks lol.

In English, alternatively:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtqNQJQcuU

Great piece of film and what a good job Indurain and Olano did. Perhaps Indurain and Olano need to meet the Schleck brothers to coach them on the basics of cycling racing.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Great piece of film and what a good job Indurain and Olano did. Perhaps Indurain and Olano need to meet the Schleck brothers to coach them on the basics of cycling racing.

What will Indurain teach them? Never to attack? You're kidding right? Indurain?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
"Virenque the climber! The red dots are painted on his body!!"

"Virenque attacks! Aldag is standing still. Standing still like a pine tree in Harzen"

"And precisely this fact that Jean-Marie Leblanc can hold all the food that he is obliged to eat hosting such a race, witnesses all about how big a personality he really is."

"The powerhouse from Rostock, a large sturdy tramping German, a torpedo, shot through the airspace, a bomb of force, plows almost tarmac up, legs going like big pistons in the German machine, a rolling bismarck clump"

"His name is not Dan, It's Jesper! '- a resentful Mader discovers not (unlike almost everyone else) that French TV will present the riders with a flag followed by the country's first three letters'. "

"The big, brown muscle, smacked in his time eating!" (About Indurain)

"A team of tramps and cheap people from Colombia." (About Kelme)

"see how calmly he's sitting, even when standing up!" (About Armstrong)

"Riis is the big chainring noble conqueror"

"With his ears, like another ET!!" (About Pantani)

"He's riding like a donkey on speed"

"He treats the bike like an old hag who has indent deserved it .."

"There are Indurain as a canary in the mountains, in a cage of Banesto people .."

"The little crooked legs, crooked-bodied Escartín .."

"Armstrong as a steamroller of ambition .."

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Sørensen said:
"Virenque the climber! The red dots are painted on his body!!"

"Virenque attacks! Aldag is standing still. Standing still like a pine tree in Harzen"

"And precisely this fact that Jean-Marie Leblanc can hold all the food that he is obliged to eat hosting such a race, witnesses all about how big a personality he really is."

"The powerhouse from Rostock, a large sturdy tramping German, a torpedo, shot through the airspace, a bomb of force, plows almost tarmac up, legs going like big pistons in the German machine, a rolling bismarck clump"

"His name is not Dan, It's Jesper! '- a resentful Mader discovers not (unlike almost everyone else) that French TV will present the riders with a flag followed by the country's first three letters'. "

"The big, brown muscle, smacked in his time eating!" (About Indurain)

"A team of tramps and cheap people from Colombia." (About Kelme)

"see how calmly he's sitting, even when standing up!" (About Armstrong)

"Riis is the big chainring noble conqueror"

"With his ears, like another ET!!" (About Pantani)

"He's riding like a donkey on speed"

"He treats the bike like an old hag who has indent deserved it .."

"There are Indurain as a canary in the mountains, in a cage of Banesto people .."

"The little crooked legs, crooked-bodied Escartín .."

"Armstrong as a steamroller of ambition .."

I wonder why we always get those machine and war comparisons. :D

TRENDING THREADS