• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great "unknown" climbs

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
This one is called Thunderbolts Way in Gloucester in New South Wales, it's west of Forster on the NSW Central Coast (do a google map search).

Thunderbolts_Way_profile.jpg

Average: 9.3 %
Length: 7 km
Height start: 163 m
Height top: 814 m
Gradient: 651 m
Maximum: 20 %

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Thunderbolts-Way&qryMountainID=8605

No known races of note that I'm aware of though.

This one is called the Serra do Rio do Rastro - Santa Catarina in Brazil:

Serra_do_Rio_do_Rastro_Santa_Catarina.jpg

Average: 9.2 %
Height start: 700 m
Height top: 1346 m
Gradient: 646 m
Maximum: 0 %

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Serra-do-Rio-do-Rastro&qryMountainID=8846

I went up Thunderbolt's Way (which goes from Gloucester to Inverell) in a car back in 2003 while on a road trip with mates. If I'd have followed cycling then the way that I do now, I'd have taken notice of that climb up Baxter's Ridge.

As for Mt Wellington, I was astounded to read that the Tour of Tasmania is using it for a team time trial this week.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
valentius borealis said:
I went up Thunderbolt's Way (which goes from Gloucester to Inverell) in a car back in 2003 while on a road trip with mates. If I'd have followed cycling then the way that I do now, I'd have taken notice of that climb up Baxter's Ridge.

As for Mt Wellington, I was astounded to read that the Tour of Tasmania is using it for a team time trial this week.

A Mountain TTT? Lol wut? Not even the Giro does that!

If, as has been the worry for a couple of years now, the Volta can't afford to keep finishing atop Monte Farinha, then a more than adequate replacement can be found in the Serra do Marão (18km, 5,9%):

to2n.jpg

With Silvares or Rua Torta as lead-in climbs I can definitely see this being a decisive climb; long, dragging after those difficult first few km, with a closing stretch of cobbled ground, just to tear what's left of your legs apart:

DSC03291.jpg

marao_apea.jpg

craig1985 said:
This one is called Thunderbolts Way in Gloucester in New South Wales, it's west of Forster on the NSW Central Coast (do a google map search).

Thunderbolts_Way_profile.jpg

Average: 9.3 %
Height start: 163 m
Height top: 814 m
Gradient: 651 m

Wow.

I like this. I see it more as 5km at 14% than 7k at 9.3% which doesnt do it justice.

Its basically Angirilu without the none steep parts.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
This climb is called The Wall which is located in Monbulk, in the Dandenong Ranges which is outside of Melbourne, maybe on of our Vic posters has done this.
There are a number of climbs in the Dandenong Ranges. This is actually one of the easier ways up Mount Dandenong. The climbs range from the easy "1 in 20" (6.75 km at a very consistent 4.2%), to the completely insane Terrys Avenue and Mast Gully Road.

However, they're unlikely ever to be used for the Hun Tour, as it's very difficult to close them.

There are dozens of good climbs known and unknown in Victoria; some are just brutal, others memorable because of the scenery. Arthur's Seat (finish of the queen stage of the Hun Tour this year) is pretty short but steep-ish, and the coastal views are terrific. Of the ski resorts, the climb to Mount Baw Baw is infamously tough (last 6 km at around 12%, with a peak at 20%), Mount Hotham is very long with a sting in the tail (30 km at 5%, with several nasty kicks at the end). Perhaps the most spectacular views are from Mount Buffalo (20km at 5.5%).

But the National Road Series doesn't use any of them, which is a complete waste. The only two NRS races with big climbs - the Launceston-New Norfolk and the Grafton-Inverell - have the big climbs in the first half of the race, meaning sprinters with strong teams can get paced back if they're not too far behind.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:
craig1985 said:
This climb is called The Wall which is located in Monbulk, in the Dandenong Ranges which is outside of Melbourne, maybe on of our Vic posters has done this.
There are a number of climbs in the Dandenong Ranges. This is actually one of the easier ways up Mount Dandenong. The climbs range from the easy "1 in 20" (6.75 km at a very consistent 4.2%), to the completely insane Terrys Avenue and Mast Gully Road.

However, they're unlikely ever to be used for the Hun Tour, as it's very difficult to close them.

There are dozens of good climbs known and unknown in Victoria; some are just brutal, others memorable because of the scenery. Arthur's Seat (finish of the queen stage of the Hun Tour this year) is pretty short but steep-ish, and the coastal views are terrific. Of the ski resorts, the climb to Mount Baw Baw is infamously tough (last 6 km at around 12%, with a peak at 20%), Mount Hotham is very long with a sting in the tail (30 km at 5%, with several nasty kicks at the end). Perhaps the most spectacular views are from Mount Buffalo (20km at 5.5%).

But the National Road Series doesn't use any of them, which is a complete waste. The only two NRS races with big climbs - the Launceston-New Norfolk and the Grafton-Inverell - have the big climbs in the first half of the race, meaning sprinters with strong teams can get paced back if they're not too far behind.

That's the problem with the NRS. They never use any of the decent climbs in Victoria. Just sprint races. No wonder we produce an excess of sprinters and hardly any climbers. They dont use any of the big climbs such as Baw baw or Hotham.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If a WT race is held in Japan and Purito has to be there, I bet he would want the Kuragari touge - Nishihata, located in Shiga Perfecture on the island of Honshu (capital city is Ōtsu). It isn't that far away from Kyoto, and Osaka and Nara (Japan's first capital) are a little bit further to the south, but not that far.

Kuragari-touge.jpg

Average: 17.3 %
Length: 2.3 km
Height start: 57 m
Height top: 455 m
Gradient: 398 m
Maximum: 22 %

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Kuragari-touge&qryMountainID=10033

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
There's the Climb up to the Oeschinensee from Kandersteg in Switzerland. The only problem is the lack of space when you reach the end of the road on the shores of the lake, although there are some Gravel Tracks which lead around the lake. It's 3.8 kilometres long, with an elevation gain of 672 metres, and an average gradient of 17.7%. You could potentially run a stage from Geneva or Bern, although it would have to be a stage finish there.

A Picture of the Lake at the Summit:

Oeschinensee.jpg

Plus a Map showing Kandersteg in relation to the Oeschinensee.

IMGP1469-Oeschinensee.jpg

Start Elevation: 870m
Finish Elevation: 1,542m
Elevation Gain: 672m
Length: 3.8km
Average Gradient: 17.2%

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Not a bad first post, welcome to the forum :)

EDIT: But an average gradient of 17.2%?! WTF? I bet the Giro will go there...

Well, apart from the last 500 metres, it doesn't go under 11 or 12%. Plus it's on Gravel for most of the climb... :D

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
If a WT race is held in Japan and Purito has to be there, I bet he would want the Kuragari touge - Nishihata, located in Shiga Perfecture on the island of Honshu (capital city is Ōtsu). It isn't that far away from Kyoto, and Osaka and Nara (Japan's first capital) are a little bit further to the south, but not that far.

Looks great, but also difficult to do it in a bike race, very very narrow.

jobiwan said:
These aren't really "new" climbs, since the Everest Challenge uses them every year, but the Tour of Cali could definitely give these climbs a shot! It's about 175 miles south of South Lake Tahoe, where they tried to start this year. It would definitely be a different path to take for Cali!
It would be very nice if the organizer (AEG) would do it. All of those climbs are big enough to open giant gaps and beautiful helicopter shots, beautiful spring weather, etc. But my estimation of the way buying a UCI package works, I don't think it would ever happen.
-I don't think Bishop/Lone Pine could come up with the money to pay AEG for them to appear. Maybe not enough fancy vacation housing.
-AEG likes to use the suburbs.
-Tahoe was a bit different, but I think the resort owners paid for the privilege and they've got all that empty vacation housing in spring.
-Owens valley has a long and fractious history with the Los Angeles area oligarchs since they stole all their water. Still a sore subject with ongoing litigation of many kinds in the Owens valley.

Red Rick said:
Does anybody know some good climbs near Riva del Garda? We're going on holiday there and i want to try to get my *** up some hills:D
Firsts that spring into my mind are Punta Veleno and Prati Di Nago.
Then, there's the much less crazy Santa Barbara... There are plenty. If you go a few kms inside Trentino you have infinite possibilities.

I don't think i'm gonna make it to the top of those with my base condition of cycling to school and back:eek: Last year I did Monte Brione, some hill between riva del garda and torbole, but I saw a road starting from about 80m up to refugio altissimo, at 2060m. Do you know that one:cool:?

Red Rick said:
I don't think i'm gonna make it to the top of those with my base condition of cycling to school and back:eek: Last year I did Monte Brione, some hill between riva del garda and torbole, but I saw a road starting from about 80m up to refugio altissimo, at 2060m. Do you know that one:cool:?
no I don't. But googling that it seems it's a MTB path that could be the continuation of Prati Di Nago or Monte Baldo (the former is more likely).

TRENDING THREADS