• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Van Avermaet

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
Has not been strong this spring season. Does not deserve the 3 million salary Bahrain apparently is willing to pay for him.
Luckily such decisions aren't made based on one spring alone

Almost all of GVA’s important wins came in one nine month period and he’s about to turn 33. I don’t doubt that he’s one of the strongest one day racers, but I’m not sure that taking the long view is as clearly to his advantage as you seem to think.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Bardamu said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
Has not been strong this spring season. Does not deserve the 3 million salary Bahrain apparently is willing to pay for him.
True. Only once has he won races in the spring season.

Yes it would be ill-advised to look only at what he achieved last spring, especially since he will be 34 next season.

Always up there with the best but doesn't have the punch from 2016 and 2017 to make the difference. His sprint after a hard race is still aces though.

Otoh, his attitude after the race was shocking. He said it was up to QS, not him, to go after Sagan, which is utter BS obviously. Ironically it were his two successive attacks that strung the peloton and caught QS out of position, thus opening up the winning move from Sagan.

Re:

Flamin said:
Otoh, his attitude after the race was shocking. He said it was up to QS, not him, to go after Sagan, which is utter BS obviously. Ironically it were his two successive attacks that strung the peloton and caught QS out of position, thus opening up the winning move from Sagan.

That + claiming he was "one of the strongest" again, although I haven't seen him doing a lot to catch Sagan.
Dear Greg, if you're so strong as you say you are, then do your ****** job. Don't hide behind QS - their season is more than successful already, yours isn't.

El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
No, which makes Badamu's statement all the more true. He's 33, nearly 34. He isn't Valverde either, I doubt he can keep improving for another 4 years. WVA makes more sense

While he was the one at the front of the bunch when Sagan went (like Sagan was when Terpstra went in Ronde), he was probably a bit gassed after his second (and quite good) attack. Sagan's attack wasn't explosive though, and van Aert was probably gassed as well, so yes, Greg should have gone with him immediately; but I think a moment of hesitation is understandable, especially if he wasn't at his best.

xcDYRfy.png

Note that Burghardt was on the wheel of van Aert.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Greg always looked like he was about to burst everytime Terpstra went. So he definitely wasn't one of the strongest. Stuyven and Vanmarcke looked more at ease than him. And I think Van Aert was better too until he had bad luck

Everyone in that group was on the limit when Terpstra put the hammer down. And Greg almost always looks like he's suffering.

Re:

Netserk said:
While he was the one at the front of the bunch when Sagan went (like Sagan was when Terpstra went in Ronde), he was probably a bit gassed after his second (and quite good) attack. Sagan's attack wasn't explosive though, and van Aert was probably gassed as well, so yes, Greg should have gone with him immediately; but I think a moment of hesitation is understandable, especially if he wasn't at his best.

xcDYRfy.png

Note that Burghardt was on the wheel of van Aert.
And not a QS Jersey in sight.

Still, it didn’t look like there was an acceleration from Sagan, it looked like Greg was on his wheel, then moved to one side, and when Sagan looked back there was daylight on his wheel and no reason not to keep going.

Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
No, which makes Badamu's statement all the more true. He's 33, nearly 34. He isn't Valverde either, I doubt he can keep improving for another 4 years. WVA makes more sense
Van Avermaet would be a good choice to accompany both Van Aert and Teuns at Bahrain, but he is not going to win many races in the future and he should realise that. He is not worth top pay anymore.

Re:

Screecher said:
I don't think he did bad at all. He's just back to his usual level of performance after one incredible season.
His last season is overrated anyway, lucked out in almost every race he won in the spring season. In the second part of the season he disappointed all the time but he just rode races for the WT-ranking.

Bardamu said:
Screecher said:
I don't think he did bad at all. He's just back to his usual level of performance after one incredible season.
His last season is overrated anyway, lucked out in almost every race he won in the spring season. In the second part of the season he disappointed all the time but he just rode races for the WT-ranking.

Maybe you should quit spreading this nonsense, you've made your (weak) point. It's becoming kind of pathetic to seize every single opportunity to downplay Greg's performances from last year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Besides, Greg had two amazing seasons, not one.

2016:

- Omloop het Nieuwsblad
- Tirreno-Adriatico (+ stage win)
- A stage win in the Tour de France
- Olympic Road Race (on a mountainous route no less)
- Grand Prix de Montreal

Do you know how many cyclists would kill to have such a palmares at the end of their career (let alone just in one season)? A lot of them.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Besides, Greg had two amazing seasons, not one.

2016:

- Omloop het Nieuwsblad
- Tirreno-Adriatico (+ stage win)
- A stage win in the Tour de France
- Olympic Road Race (on a mountainous route no less)
- Grand Prix de Montreal

Do you know how many cyclists would kill to have such a palmares at the end of their career (let alone just in one season)? A lot of them.
I don't think it would be worth spending years in jail for. :)

TRENDING THREADS