• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Van Avermaet

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I unfortunately think his time has passed. Of the top of my head the closest he was to winning was when he crashed in super form and when Cancellara won the 4 way sprint.

He would benefit being on Quickstep with the multiple leaders, do a Develdor.

I think CCC adding Trentin to their classics squad is not an advantage for GVA. Trentin woun't have come to CCC to work for GVA in the final of the classics (nor the other way around). And they both will have a similar strategy where they aim to finish in a limited bunch sprint. Both having less of a final kick then say a good Sagan, MVP or even WVA.

Could be wrong, obviously. But if I were CCC I'd try couple GVA with a baroudeur next year such as Lampaert or maybe Pederson.

I think CCC adding Trentin to their classics squad is not an advantage for GVA. Trentin woun't have come to CCC to work for GVA in the final of the classics (nor the other way around). And they both will have a similar strategy where they aim to finish in a limited bunch sprint. Both having less of a final kick then say a good Sagan, MVP or even WVA.

Could be wrong, obviously. But if I were CCC I'd try couple GVA with a baroudeur next year such as Lampaert or maybe Pederson.
It'll give GVA more tactical freedom though to ride offensive and having Trentin backing him up. And the other way around, Trentin being able to save his legs a bit more. And vice versa.

Today for sure was one of his best climbing performances (maybe even the best at all on such type of climb) but we should see if the climbing form translates also in explosivity on short hills, it's something pretty common for puncheurs to gain in resistance on longer climbs on the expense of the explosivity in the short ones while they enter well into the thirties. IMHO already in the past two season despite the form was always there as usual for him he looked less explosive on short climbs (and also less fast in sprints) compared to the past and that resulted in less high placings in the classics.

Today for sure was one of his best climbing performances (maybe even the best at all on such type of climb) but we should see if the climbing form translates also in explosivity on short hills, it's something pretty common for puncheurs to gain in resistance on longer climbs on the expense of the explosivity in the short ones while they enter well into the thirties. IMHO already in the past two season despite the form was always there as usual for him he looked less explosive on short climbs (and also less fast in sprints) compared to the past and that resulted in less high placings in the classics.
He seems in great form indeed but may need to adopt the Phil Gil Flanders '17 tactic (long range) or Terpstra approach (sneak away somewhere on the flat) rather than 'wait' for the hills to attack as it indeed looks there is always somebody punchier around these last couple years.

So 2021 could be an important year for Greg, teamwise. These are the options/rumours:
  1. Ochowicz finds a replacement for CCC and Greg stays.
  2. Greg goes to Israel Cycling Academy, who are rumoured to want Stuyven and of course Froome too.
  3. Greg goes to one of the 5 other teams he's rumoured to talk with.
Option 1 is the most likely one, since Greg is quite the loyal type and important for Ochowicz's team. But personally I would like him to join Deceuninck-QuickStep, the way Gilbert did in 2016. The strength of the Wolfpack would give him more opportunities to win races (since he's always in shape and often in the final), and it's known Lefevere respects him a lot. Could help him fill up some gaps on his palmares, with de Ronde on top.

TRENDING THREADS