• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guess Who - Game

Page 387 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RedheadDane might not think she is, but she's the sleuth here.

He did not ride for a ProTeam this year
He is currently racing in Vietnam (has nobody else been watching the HTV Cup like me? No?)
He has not raced in Turkey this year
He is from a country in the EU
He did not ride for a WorldTeam this year
He has not ridden in the Middle East this year

But really: you're set now. It can only be one man.

I've been mainly watching the half hour summary videos, especially where the crit stages are involved, with the extended coverage for the more decisive stages. It's a bit mad, unusual with tactical naïveté, small teams, the wide highways and very professional presentation for what is a pretty low-level race, with commentary in a language I know very, very little of and that bears no resemblance to any language I do speak, give it this air of "other"-ness, like a window into a completely different world of cycling. Although the style of racing is very different from that, I do sometimes wonder when watching it whether this is how it must have felt to westerners when they chanced upon coverage of the old Eastern Bloc races - it's demonstrably cycling in something that's closely related to how we know it, but simultaneously strange and alien.

Anyway, afraid not, it's not Javier Sardá; he has never raced for a World Tour team, he came to the sport late and rode amateur for a few years in Spain before relocating first to Japan (as many Spanish journeyman riders do) then to Vietnam. I was originally going to do Sardá but his paucity of traceable results before his relocation meant I thought he'd be harder to find.

Loïc Desriac indeed, he was a stagiare for Ag2r back in 2009 just after his 20th birthday. Spent a few years doing OK in smaller north French/Belgian one-day races for Roubaix-Lille Métropole before finding his niche in Southeast Asia, riding on Bikelife in Vietnam where he's now based, and moonlighting for CCN in Laos, Singha in Indonesia and Yunnan in China.

Desriac was the only possibility once I found a startlist for HTV race, but what UCI registered team did he leave this year?
I read the question in meaning "was he previously on a UCI team, but left it as of this season", i.e. was he on a UCI-registered team for 2019 but not 2020. As he rode for Yunnan Lvshan for the second half of last season, he was on a UCI team until 31/12/19, so I read that as him being previously on a UCI team, but had left it this season.

There are a few other outsiders who do races in Vietnam - Thailand Continental, sometimes the Indonesian teams and a couple of Korean squads travel over - but this year because of the Covid-19 restrictions only riders based in Vietnam were allowed to enter the HTV Cup, meaning Desriac and Sardá were the only extranjeros.

I read the question in meaning "was he previously on a UCI team, but left it as of this season", i.e. was he on a UCI-registered team for 2019 but not 2020. As he rode for Yunnan Lvshan for the second half of last season, he was on a UCI team until 31/12/19, so I read that as him being previously on a UCI team, but had left it this season.

There are a few other outsiders who do races in Vietnam - Thailand Continental, sometimes the Indonesian teams and a couple of Korean squads travel over - but this year because of the Covid-19 restrictions only riders based in Vietnam were allowed to enter the HTV Cup, meaning Desriac and Sardá were the only extranjeros.
I was trying to work out how a guy that was not on a World, Pro or Continental team, but had not ridden as part of a national team or in a National Championship, was considered to be active. We've never dropped into National races before, but we should have known that you would lead us to new levels of obscurity.

Male? Yes
Active? Yes
Raced in a UCI registered race this year? Yes
On ProTeam? Yes
Ever started Paris-Roubaix? No
Ever started Liege Bastogne Liege? No
From a country with a World Tour Race? Yes
European? No
Team of own nationality? No

Canadian? Yes
On Rally? Yes
On a european Pro Team? No
Ever started a grand tour? No
Born before 1/1/1995? Yes

I was trying to work out how a guy that was not on a World, Pro or Continental team, but had not ridden as part of a national team or in a National Championship, was considered to be active. We've never dropped into National races before, but we should have known that you would lead us to new levels of obscurity.
Well, he's kind of prominent in the only live racing we have right now!

Male? Yes
Active? Yes
Raced in a UCI registered race this year? Yes
On ProTeam? Yes
Ever started Paris-Roubaix? No
Ever started Liege Bastogne Liege? No
From a country with a World Tour Race? Yes
European? No
Team of own nationality? No
Canadian? Yes
On Rally? Yes
On a european Pro Team? No