• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

  • Nuclear Holocoust

    Votes: 8 100.0%

  • Total voters
    8
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
What a legend. He's recovered from his bad day like a true champion. Looks like its between him and Kruijswijk for the overall now.
Don't you think he will ride more cautious now because he's got the podium place and a stage win? He knows beating Kruijswijk is impossible, especially because his terrain is coming again.
No, I think he'll go for the win. Kruijswijk is still massively unproven - he may crack big time.
 
Aug 16, 2013
6,421
0
0
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
What a legend. He's recovered from his bad day like a true champion. Looks like its between him and Kruijswijk for the overall now.
Don't you think he will ride more cautious now because he's got the podium place and a stage win? He knows beating Kruijswijk is impossible, especially because his terrain is coming again.
No, I think he'll go for the win. Kruijswijk is still massively unproven - he may crack big time.
But still i think the chance Kruijswijk cracks on Bonette or Agnello, is less then Bala cracks on one of them. Especially after the Corvara stage.

I rarely have seen a unexperienced guy like Kruijswijk riding tactically so strong like he did today.
 
Re:

DFA123 said:
What a legend. He's recovered from his bad day like a true champion. Looks like its between him and Kruijswijk for the overall now.
Wup wup!

Shout out to all the haters! What a stage. Im over the moon. Don Alejandro, mi amor, que victoria. Now we shoot for the moon and the dutchman in pink!!
 
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
What a legend. He's recovered from his bad day like a true champion. Looks like its between him and Kruijswijk for the overall now.
Don't you think he will ride more cautious now because he's got the podium place and a stage win? He knows beating Kruijswijk is impossible, especially because his terrain is coming again.
No, I think he'll go for the win. Kruijswijk is still massively unproven - he may crack big time.
But still i think the chance Kruijswijk cracks on Bonette or Agnello, is less then Bala cracks on one of them. Especially after the Corvara stage.

I rarely have seen a unexperienced guy like Kruijswijk riding tactically so strong like he did today.
Perhaps, but there's stil a decent chance Kruijswijk cracks imo. I think this Giro is so hard that everyone will crack at least once.

It's easy to ride strong tactically when you have the legs, but when you don't have them, and when your team is nowhere to be seen, you could be in big trouble.
 
Aug 16, 2013
6,421
0
0
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
What a legend. He's recovered from his bad day like a true champion. Looks like its between him and Kruijswijk for the overall now.
Don't you think he will ride more cautious now because he's got the podium place and a stage win? He knows beating Kruijswijk is impossible, especially because his terrain is coming again.
No, I think he'll go for the win. Kruijswijk is still massively unproven - he may crack big time.
But still i think the chance Kruijswijk cracks on Bonette or Agnello, is less then Bala cracks on one of them. Especially after the Corvara stage.

I rarely have seen a unexperienced guy like Kruijswijk riding tactically so strong like he did today.
Perhaps, but there's stil a decent chance Kruijswijk cracks imo. I think this Giro is so hard that everyone will crack at least once.

It's easy to ride strong tactically when you have the legs, but when you don't have them, and when your team is nowhere to be seen, you could be in big trouble.
Could be of course. But then there are still Chaves and Zakarin to strike. I'm afraid of Zaka, who looks like he's getting the strongest guy in the third week. And also Chavito is not out, because he rode just as strong as the 3 guys up front on Paganella.
 
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Could be of course. But then there are still Chaves and Zakarin to strike. I'm afraid of Zaka, who looks like he's getting the strongest guy in the third week. And also Chavito is not out, because he rode just as strong as the 3 guys up front on Paganella.
Yeah, Zakarin looks great. Really intelligent riding today to keep pushing hard to the line, rather than messing about for a sprint he was never going to win. Would be great to see him gain a couple of minutes somewhere and give even more threats for the final couple of stages.

I fear for Chaves now - he went into the red quite a few times today, when the front three were riding much more steadily. I think his efforts this stage could end up costing him a lot more than the 30 seconds today.
 
Mar 14, 2015
2,317
0
0
Valverde again with a great day :) Now that he's got the stage win and the podium place maybe he should ride a bit more conservative as Kruijswijk looks invincible.
 
Aug 31, 2012
5,221
0
0
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
What a legend. He's recovered from his bad day like a true champion. Looks like its between him and Kruijswijk for the overall now.
Don't you think he will ride more cautious now because he's got the podium place and a stage win? He knows beating Kruijswijk is impossible, especially because his terrain is coming again.
No, I think he'll go for the win. Kruijswijk is still massively unproven - he may crack big time.
But still i think the chance Kruijswijk cracks on Bonette or Agnello, is less then Bala cracks on one of them. Especially after the Corvara stage.

I rarely have seen a unexperienced guy like Kruijswijk riding tactically so strong like he did today.
Perhaps, but there's stil a decent chance Kruijswijk cracks imo. I think this Giro is so hard that everyone will crack at least once.

It's easy to ride strong tactically when you have the legs, but when you don't have them, and when your team is nowhere to be seen, you could be in big trouble.
Valverde is more likely to crack than Crushweak. In fact, everyone is. It's not like cracking is something that happens a set amount of times and once you've cracked, you will then be immune to further cracking. It's the opposite. Cracking is evidence of weakness and the weak are more likely to crack again when the going gets tough

Crushweak not having a team is a problem, but look at the times when other riders had trouble. Their team couldn't help them (eg Nibali today and Saturday, Valverde Saturday).

Crushweak could crack and lose it, but it's more likely his rivals crack again and fall behind even further.
 
Jun 18, 2015
541
0
0
One of the best days of his whole career. Absolute capo.

TBH, I think that he doesn't have the legs to fight for the whole thing. Even if Kruijswijk kabooms, I've got the feeling that Zakarin and even Chaves will climb better.

Legendary Stage win + Podium would be spectactular nevertheless.
 
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
Valverde is more likely to crack than Crushweak. In fact, everyone is. It's not like cracking is something that happens a set amount of times and once you've cracked, you will then be immune to further cracking. It's the opposite. Cracking is evidence of weakness and the weak are more likely to crack again when the going gets tough

Crushweak not having a team is a problem, but look at the times when other riders had trouble. Their team couldn't help them (eg Nibali today and Saturday, Valverde Saturday).

Crushweak could crack and lose it, but it's more likely his rivals crack again and fall behind even further.
The point is that the Giro is so hard that anyone could crack - including Kruijswijk. Why would Valverde settle for the podium, rather than doing everything possible to put Kruijswijk under pressure? Valverde looks second strongest at this point anyway; he'll probably get a podium whether he rides conservatively or aggresively.

Kruijswijk is unproven and he's under a kind of pressure he's never had to deal with before. Has he got the experience to do what, for example, Contador did on Finestre last year, and limit his losses if he is having a bad day?

I'm sure you already have the answer :rolleyes:
 
Aug 16, 2013
6,421
0
0
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
SeriousSam said:
Valverde is more likely to crack than Crushweak. In fact, everyone is. It's not like cracking is something that happens a set amount of times and once you've cracked, you will then be immune to further cracking. It's the opposite. Cracking is evidence of weakness and the weak are more likely to crack again when the going gets tough

Crushweak not having a team is a problem, but look at the times when other riders had trouble. Their team couldn't help them (eg Nibali today and Saturday, Valverde Saturday).

Crushweak could crack and lose it, but it's more likely his rivals crack again and fall behind even further.
The point is that the Giro is so hard that anyone could crack - including Kruijswijk. Why would Valverde settle for the podium, rather than doing everything possible to put Kruijswijk under pressure? Valverde looks second strongest at this point anyway; he'll probably get a podium whether he rides conservatively or aggresively.

Kruijswijk is unproven and he's under a kind of pressure he's never had to deal with before. Has he got the experience to do what, for example, Contador did on Finestre last year, and limit his losses if he is having a bad day?

I'm sure you already have the answer :rolleyes:
But that's not true. If he goes all out, and cracks, then Zakarin will get his podium place. Because today Zaka showed he's just as good as Bala uphill, and he was better at high altitude.

And if Valverde cracks, Chaves can reach the podium too. I don't think he showed any more weakness then Bala at this point. So if Valverde risks all, he could get 4th.

But if he rides conservative, a podium place is very much possible. But i like him to see going all out. Better for the race :)
 
Re:

yaco said:
The target for Valverde and Chavez will be to keep their podium places.
Nonsense. The target will be to win the race. Whether they will risk sacrificing a decent placing to try to achieve it debatable. But they will both feel as though they can win from here.

If Contador can lose three minutes in the last week of the giro when leading, than Kruijswijk can as well.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Nonsense. The target will be to win the race. Whether they will risk sacrificing a decent placing to try to achieve it debatable. But they will both feel as though they can win from here.
I'm not sure. After the stage he said his two targets for the Giro were a stage win and the podium. He didn't even mention the maglia rosa.

I hope I'm wrong but I think both Chaves and Valverde will ride on Zakarin's wheel from now on.
 
I think you're too pessimistic. Valverde stated that his goal was a podium and a stage win, but he will obviously try again in the coming days. It was Movistar who started the show today - if they just wanted a stage win, then they'd just set a fast pace and let Bala do his thing on Paganella. They tried to see if Kruijswijk had a 'jour sans' and when he didn't, but others from the GC was left behind, they obviously continued.

They will try that again and again. Maybe not all out every day, but don't expect Valverde to ride conservatively since he has his podium now. He always wants more and the stage win might calm him a bit.
 
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
DFA123 said:
Nonsense. The target will be to win the race. Whether they will risk sacrificing a decent placing to try to achieve it debatable. But they will both feel as though they can win from here.
I'm not sure. After the stage he said his two targets for the Giro were a stage win and the podium. He didn't even mention the maglia rosa.

I hope I'm wrong but I think both Chaves and Valverde will ride on Zakarin's wheel from now on.
If it was a top form Nibali leading the race by three minutes I would agree with you, they would have all but given up hopes of winning. But, rightly or wrongly, I think they will see Kruijswijk as vulnerable. And both will recognise they may never get a better opportunity to win a GT again.
 
Mar 13, 2015
1,934
0
0
I'm expecting a full throttle on Pramartino, it's his type of climb, short and very steep. We'll see how Kruijswijk handles this stuff
 
Valverde seems to go for podium mainly

"I think he's the strongest rider in this Giro d'Italia. There are still two tough days to go but he's clearly got the strength and the know-how. I think Kruijswijk will win this Giro but I want the podium."
 
Aug 16, 2013
6,421
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valverde seems to go for podium mainly

"I think he's the strongest rider in this Giro d'Italia. There are still two tough days to go but he's clearly got the strength and the know-how. I think Kruijswijk will win this Giro but I want the podium."
You don't get it more clearly :p
 
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valverde seems to go for podium mainly

"I think he's the strongest rider in this Giro d'Italia. There are still two tough days to go but he's clearly got the strength and the know-how. I think Kruijswijk will win this Giro but I want the podium."
If you believe that...

Lulling him into a false sense of security.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS