• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 146 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

ice&fire said:
From a promotion/tribute event with Movistar team sponsors:
http://www.elmundo.es/deportes/ciclismo/2017/05/04/590b169a22601de57f8b45c5.html

He would like to go to the cobbles' classics! He thinks he would do better at Flanders, but he will try to do Roubaix before he retires.
That would be great to see; all riders should be encouraged to diversify like this. He's surely got no chance of doing anything at Roubaix, but a top 10 could be possible at RVV I think.

The Tour profiles have been revealed and it all looks horrible. But what will probably lack gravely in entertainment could turn out to be Alejandro's best chance, perhaps ever, to actually win the whole thing.

It is very easy mountain- and TT-wise, which I guess we already knew but the Marseille TT even has a nice murito, which should suit him well. There are a couple of puncheur finishes where he could gain some seconds on the rest of the GC competitors, and the course is so easy that I don't see him necessarily have a day where it all gets too much. The biggest concern might be the two last mountain stages in the Alps, where the high altitude on Galibier and Izoard will be his biggest hindrance.

Based on this season, he should be the favorite together with Richie Porte but it would be surprising if Chris Froome won't rediscover his usual self. However, his season so far has been worrying and he has proclaimed that he would focus more on climbing than TT'ing because of the route, which in my opinion would be a mistake and blunt his best weapon if he is as bad on the time trials as in 2015.

Movistar simply must realise this opportunity, and if I see Valverde slaving one second on the front for Quintana (which would be less likely to happen if he doesn't win the Giro, so I will be crossing fingers for that), I will personally take to France to give the management a proper scolding for their incompetence. He has been the strongest rider of the season and won every stage race in which he has participated, beating practically every important rider except for Porte against whom he hasn't faced off this season.

Of course, the early season is different from the Tour, but it can't be that bad of a gauge.

Valv.Piti asked whether he was insane for believing Valverde would have a chance for the Tour. I was inclined to say yes, but those were early days, and I would like to board the hype train now.

¡Vamos Bala!

Should we make a trip out of it then? :D

I've been saying this since Catalunya, it was the first thing I thought when the Tour-route was presented. He has a shot. He couldn't have hoped for a better scenario than this, Froome is somewhat a question mark, Contador is on gradual decline, Quintana is riding the Giro... For what its worth it might be Porte who wins the race, or Valverde, I wouldn't be surprised.

I dont know... now I want to go on a long trip tomorrow in my Caisse d' Epargne 2006 jersey, grind big gears with the jersey zipped up and a dangling cross swinging from side to side, pretend I'm getting dropped in the scorching heat and rip them apart on the last climb, raise my arms and get ready for all the journalists who will ask if Im honestly believing I can keep the Maillot Jaune till Paris. Bad day and all.

My answer will be yes, yes I do, if I didn't know any better Christian Prudhome would be my personal trainer, coach and masseuse. And the journalists will be confused and it will be glorious.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
He doesn't have the ability to win a gt (2009 vuelta, the stars alligned to his win). Froome will put the hammer down already on stage 5, only porte can follow him.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
He doesn't have the ability to win a gt (2009 vuelta, the stars alligned to his win). Froome will put the hammer down already on stage 5, only porte can follow him.

One win and seven podiums speaks opposite. Maybe the stars will align again ;) He certainly has better pedigree than Porte.

Seriously, I think he will start as a 2nd option, that could very well become a first if Nairo suffers.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
portugal11 said:

One win and seven podiums speaks opposite. Maybe the stars will align again ;) He certainly has better pedigree than Porte.

Seriously, I think he will start as a 2nd option, that could very well become a first if Nairo suffers.
July isn't far... :razz: we will see (I have a tendency to lose bets :D )

2008+Tour+de+France+Stage+Two+QT9UMQDDMY8l.jpg

It looks good on him, don't you agree? :D

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The hype train picked even more steam up today as Valverde most likely won't support Quintana, as he did in 2016, after Quintana's chances went from decent to very, very unlikely to win the Giro and therefore being 50% through the double-attempt.

Which makes sense. You need to win the first one to do the double. Movistar will probably go into the race with an open mind and see how the race progresses.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
If Richie Porte's form can warrant inclusion into the possible winner of the TdF short list, then Valverde's amazing form also warrants inclusion.

When the Giro in 2016 went over 2400m, Valverde lost time in the last 200-300m of the two big climbs. Both hit 2700m.

They hit nothing that high in the Tour. Valverde struggled with one climb, the one where John Lee Augustin went head over heals, back in 2008 during the Tour.

That was 9 years ago. So yes, I think elevation can play a part in messing with him...but they won't go high enough this Tour to mess with him.

Can he win?

Darn right he can!

Valverde winning the Tour is on the cards this year!!

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I think stage 5 to Planche de Belles Filles is the key how this year's Tour will develop. If Froome drops them all (and he will try for sure), we already have a winner. But if he fails to do that, then we have a race.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Mr.White said:
I think stage 5 to Planche de Belles Filles is the key how this year's Tour will develop. If Froome drops them all (and he will try for sure), we already have a winner. But if he fails to do that, then we have a race.
The gaps won't be huge on such a short MTF after an easy stage.