• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 223 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
So if our Lady is fighting with hurricane Florence (really, good luck), it means no posts?

Things indeed look critical. I am off to a trip to Hamburg in the weekend and will try to avoid spoilers, so I shall not be contributing either.

And good luck with everything to Koronin. I hope you've decided to get away if you live in the impact zone.
I have the same during 2 final weeks of TdF (holiday). Really no information, came back home, watched ca. 30 hours of recording TdF in 2days, hoping that it would be Froome....and.. you know.
So it might me Quintana who will win..

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
tobydawq said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
So if our Lady is fighting with hurricane Florence (really, good luck), it means no posts?

Things indeed look critical. I am off to a trip to Hamburg in the weekend and will try to avoid spoilers, so I shall not be contributing either.

And good luck with everything to Koronin. I hope you've decided to get away if you live in the impact zone.
I have the same during 2 final weeks of TdF (holiday). Really no information, came back home, watched ca. 30 hours of recording TdF in 2days, hoping that it would be Froome....and.. you know.

And you really succeeded in not getting any information? That's pretty impressive.

It's difficult for me to avoid that. I haven't exactly designed my social media to not inform me of cycling results, and I often write with friends about races. I guess I'll have to "forget" to charge my phone :D

tobydawq said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
tobydawq said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

And you really succeeded in not getting any information? That's pretty impressive.

It's difficult for me to avoid that. I haven't exactly designed my social media to not inform me of cycling results, and I often write with friends about races. I guess I'll have to "forget" to charge my phone :D
First, absolutely no TV. Second no so common websites. For me only that ones with information concerning let say politics/what is going on in the world. And I have my private cyclings bets with my friends but they know - no information.
And it works. But 2 weeks of TdF in 2 days was reeaally exhausting..

Re:

Scarponi said:
If he had this chance at 32 he wins , even the great Piti can’t stop the pain at 38. The form he had in some of those Vueltad 2010-14 hr wins this race easily

You're probably right. But what annoys me the most is the way he rides sometimes, when not feeling good, like today. I mean how to call that ride when Quintana dropped to wait for him? What the hell was that? He literally hide behind the wheels, while his man is waiting 20-30m up front! He lost at least 20 sec to Yates there, in couple of hundred meters :mad: For Christ sake just ride!!!

Blanco said:
Scarponi said:
If he had this chance at 32 he wins , even the great Piti can’t stop the pain at 38. The form he had in some of those Vueltad 2010-14 hr wins this race easily

You're probably right. But what annoys me the most is the way he rides sometimes, when not feeling good, like today. I mean how to call that ride when Quintana dropped to wait for him? What the hell was that? He literally hide behind the wheels, while his man is waiting 20-30m up front! He lost at least 20 sec to Yates there, in couple of hundred meters :mad: For Christ sake just ride!!!
He lost most of the time when he waited for Quintana who punctured
Although he should have just rode within his limits. It didn't benefit when he accelerated repeatedly to follow MAL, Mas etc

Blanco said:
Scarponi said:

Afraid to blow up, loose the podium?

Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
Scarponi said:

Afraid to blow up, loose the podium?

Most likely. Don't get his waiting for Quintana, he should have just continued to ride his own pace and not worry about anyone else. He's not going to go into the red so unlikely to fully blow up. However, I'd definitely say afraid to lose the podium. He wants that record.

Oh well. Just not good enough on long climbs, unfortunately. As pointed out that would probably have been a bit different in 12-14, but theres that. Even Valverde to Valverde, age is just not a number on these type of climbs. He must hate this climb.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Told you. Valv. Piti... Told you...
Still ahead of Steven K. Thats the most important.
:razz:

His youthful kick is still powerful enough to beat Peter Sagan and Kwiatkowski on short climbs and outkick Yates on ultra-steep climbs. But it's like he is missing a lot of the things that would have made him competitive in races such as the Northern classics and aggressive one-day races (like Lombardia and the Worlds).

Risk-taking, timing, alertness, the ability to read the race. For an elder statesman, he isn't the most wise. It's not always about being the best.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Too bad he was off his game today
He wasn't. Just his usual weakness on long climbs that go above 2000m.

Agreed. This was more just his usual has issues with altitude and sheds time. As long as tomorrow isn't at as high of altitude it's likely he'll be fine.

Having said that it's also likely that he's wrapped up the green jersey at this point.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I agree today didn't suit him as well as the steeper climbs in the Cantabrian mountains.

But it wasn't even 2000 meters today.

And just because the climbs are longer and at higher altitude, it doesn't automatically mean that Valverde has to crack. It just increases the likelihood of a bad day, which I think was what we saw today. So in a way, he was off his game.

Cance > TheRest said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I agree today didn't suit him as well as the steeper climbs in the Cantabrian mountains.

But it wasn't even 2000 meters today.

And just because the climbs are longer and at higher altitude, it doesn't automatically mean that Valverde has to crack. It just increases the likelihood of a bad day, which I think was what we saw today. So in a way, he was off his game.

2025m

TRENDING THREADS