• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Then he just has to follow Valverde, lose in total 30 seconds due to sprints and boni's, and decide the Vuelta in the TT.

I don't see any problems. I can't see Valverde really drop Contador.

So, Contie should play Piti's role? No thanks. Hopefully the riders with panache will keep it.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Riding like Valverde isn't being a coward, it's being rational and playing to one's strength. All is forgiven, though, as emotions must be running high when a certain rider is unable to follow Alejandro's fierce sprints to the line.

Bonus seconds are pretty awesome, by the way. GC competition enhancing. The Tour should have them as well.

LaFlorecita said:
Yeah, all fine and dandy, but that doesn't make him any less of a coward and wheelsucker.

But take a look at yesterday's stage. He attacked on the only place he could ever dream of distancing the others, on that climb, yet people called him an idiot and questioned his tactics. The hate against him is inherent, no matter how he performs. This terms, ''wheelsucker'' and ''coward'' get thrown around too easily, and are very disrespectful to say the least, and nonsensical, especially because he is doing what he can and should do if he wants to win the race. And it would be nice if people could let go the stereotype once and for all, or at least loose it a bit, as Valverde has been nothing else than a very attacking rider this year if you compare it to the rest of the péloton and his previous seasons.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
yespatterns said:
So, Contie should play Piti's role? No thanks. Hopefully the riders with panache will keep it.

Contador showed enough panache the last year. If the situation asking it, just wheelsuck for a couple of stages, and a 8th GT is on his list.

Be romantic for 85% of the time, but pragmatic for 15%.

LaFlorecita said:
3 uphill finishes, 3x 10-6-4 bonus seconds, several intermediate sprint points with extra seconds up for grabs, Alberto who's riding like an idiot, tiring himself out with useless attacks, and just a 31s gap.

So according to you we have a sad little hyena riding against an idiot. You prefer the idiot, fair enough.

Arredondo said:
Contador showed enough panache the last year. If the situation asking it, just wheelsuck for a couple of stages, and a 8th GT is on his list.

Yes, I agree. It's not certain he'll win that way, but if he keep killing himself with attacks he's going to lose a lot more time.

kingjr said:
So according to you we have a sad little hyena riding against an idiot. You prefer the idiot, fair enough.

Yeah, because the idiot, while idiotic, isn't pathetic.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Arredondo said:

Nah, I'm 100% romantic. I don't watch cycling for the likes of Piti, I like the riders who excite the race, not the ones who follow the others around like gulls behind a fishing boat getting what they can, when they can.

yespatterns said:
Nah, I'm 100% romantic. I don't watch cycling for the likes of Piti, I like the riders who excite the race, not the ones who follow the others around like gulls behind a fishing boat getting what they can, when they can.

Understand, though, that cyclists don't ride to please you. Ultimately, they are not entertainers. Entertainment is a by-product of their job, which is to ride a bike and do what's necessary to win, and if that means not to satisfy you, you will have to deal with it.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
BigMac said:
Understand, though, that cyclists don't ride to please you. Ultimately, they are not entertainers. Entertainment is a by-product of their job, which is to ride a bike and do what's needed to win, and if that means not to satisfy you, you will have to deal with it.

Yes, their job is to entertain all of us. If we aren't entertained, sponsors aren't seen. Sponsors aren't seen, no point in putting money into a team. No money into a team = no team. So yes in professional sports , some entertainment value is expected.

yespatterns said:
Yes, their job is to entertain all of us. If we aren't entertained, sponsors aren't seen. Sponsors aren't seen, no point in putting money into a team. No money into a team = no team. So yes in professional sports , some entertainment value is expected.

You need to check again if you think most riders' main objective is to show off to the cameras their fancy yet pointless attacks and only then think rationally on what should be done to win the race. And sometimes their decisions and the way they ride will turn out to be entertaining, some other times not, but the point is that entertainment doesn't win riders' races, however, by winning races, riders can be entertaining. Entertainment is a by-product and a cyclist can't be blamed for what can be considered dull racing from his part if that's what will win him the race. Valverde has had plenty of entertaining rides. And think about it, do you think that Movistar and the other sponsors would prefer a 'stylish' ride over a win or even a podium in the Vuelta or any other race for that matter? Not to mention what's atractive is subjective.

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
yespatterns said:

Which is more important for sponsors: winning or entertaining?

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
BigMac said:
You need to check again if you think most riders' main objective is to show off to the cameras their fancy yet pointless attacks and only then think rationally on what should be done to win the race. And sometimes their decisions and the way they ride will turn out to be entertaining, some other times not, but the point is that entertainment doesn't win riders' races, however, by winning races, riders can be entertaining. Entertainment is a by-product and a cyclist can't be blamed for what can be considered dull racing from his part if that's what will win them the race. Valverde has had plenty of entertaining rides.

You need to check again why cyclists have sponsors.

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
If there are no fans, winning isn't important to sponsors anymore

Don't fans keep going to football matches where their team is weaker just to see them defend and try to draw or maybe win 1-0?

My point is that winning can be entertaining (especially if your guy/team us winning).

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
BigMac said:
What about answering the ''question(s)''? I made my point in the previous post and adressed this.

An example (hyperbolic obviously): Movistar sponsors the reigning champion at the biggest staring contest in the world, and -miracle of miracles- their guy wins. But the thing is no one wants to watch a staring contest because it isn't exciting. Their guy won but did movistar get value for their investment? Will they continue?

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
yespatterns said:
An example (hyperbolic obviously): Movistar sponsors the reigning champion at the biggest staring contest in the world, and -miracle of miracles- their guy wins. But the thing is no one wants to watch a staring contest because it isn't exciting. Their guy won but did movistar get value for their investment? Will they continue?

So why did Banesto not drop Indurain? Watching him was pretty boring imo

yespatterns said:

But cycling never was, is not, and never will be like a staring contest. The sport is not short on supporters and it won't be rides such as that of today that will turn fans away from Valverde or Movistar. What you say would make sence if was always like this, however, it's not, and the fans were here before today and witnessed many brave moments fom Valverde, and will do in the future, but when the obligation to ride in a dull way is a necessary evil, if it's goin to win you a race, people should not blame the cyclist for not riding it agressively, but praise him for using another trait such as strategy, which was what Valverde did today, and payed off. It's not like he was dull and at the end of the day got nothing from it. Take Rui Costa for instance: he's certainly not the most exiting rider, but many like him because he is - arguably - the most cuning rider in the péloton. There are other traits to appreaciate than just being able to dance away in the mountains - a pointless trait if, at the end of the day, the rider gets nothing from it. I'd find it odd if Movistar is disappointed with Valverde's performances so far. I'd find it odd if they were with Costa's. And not to mention the visibility of being on the podium is much bigger and relevant to the sponsors than that of whatever show off a rider does to the cameras.

TRENDING THREADS