Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

  • Nuclear Holocoust

    Votes: 27 100.0%

  • Total voters
    27
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Fernandez said:
Arredondo said:
Fernandez said:
Contador has been after his ban a 75% of what he used to be, Valverde has returned after his ban at least at 100% of he used to be.

I don't think the Contador 2014 was 75% of the Contador 2010 and before.

Best Contador was Tour2009 and Giro2011, he destroyed everyone in these two races. He has never returned to that form.
My friend, 2014 was his best season ever. :)

For me there´s no comparison between Contador in Tour2009 and Giro2011, and Contador Vuelta2014. As I said, Contador was fearless in these two races, he just destroyed the field. In Vuelta 2014 he wins a non on top form Froome, and not in a brutal way.
 
Oct 18, 2009
999
0
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
Best rider at the moment. Would have catalunya too without bad luck.
Wouldn't say best rider. Just a strong climber with a strong sprint. Good combo for wins.

Are you *** out of your mind? Even have some discussion with arguments or don't pollute the thread with childish comments (of course i'm saying this in the friendliest of ways ;) ).
Contador, like mentioned before, is just a one-trick pony. A climbing version of Kittel. Can Contador ever dream of winning liege, even once? Or any other 1-day race? You know, cycling is not just a race in July.
 
Re: Re:

nobilis said:
Are you **** out of your mind? Even have some discussion with arguments or don't pollute the thread with childish comments (of course i'm saying this in the friendliest of ways ;) ).
Contador, like mentioned before, is just a one-trick pony. A climbing version of Kittel. Can Contador ever dream of winning liege, even once? Or any other 1-day race? You know, cycling is not just a race in July.
Friendly my ass. Nobs you know I respect you but this post shows your bad side. I won't get into a discussion about Piti with you.
 
Re: Re:

Fernandez said:
For me there´s no comparison between Contador in Tour2009 and Giro2011, and Contador Vuelta2014. As I said, Contador was fearless in these two races, he just destroyed the field. In Vuelta 2014 he wins a non on top form Froome, and not in a brutal way.
2014, was more than la Vuelta :)
 
Oct 18, 2009
999
0
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
nobilis said:
Are you **** out of your mind? Even have some discussion with arguments or don't pollute the thread with childish comments (of course i'm saying this in the friendliest of ways ;) ).
Contador, like mentioned before, is just a one-trick pony. A climbing version of Kittel. Can Contador ever dream of winning liege, even once? Or any other 1-day race? You know, cycling is not just a race in July.
Friendly my ass. Nobs you know I respect you but this post shows your bad side. I won't get into a discussion about Piti with you.

Well, the problem is that you always base your discussion around how awesome Contador is, even when the topic is not directly related to him and it shifts away the discussion.
 
Re: Re:

nobilis said:
Well, the problem is that you always base your discussion around how awesome Contador is, even when the topic is not directly related to him and it shifts away the discussion.
I didn't even mention Contador originally. People always think Contador is on my mind 24/7 but I can assure you that is not the case :rolleyes: I voiced a different opinion and people exploded. And unlike you and BigMac, Valverde fans #1 and #2, I didn't personally attack those with a different opinion.
 
Oct 18, 2009
999
0
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
nobilis said:
Well, the problem is that you always base your discussion around how awesome Contador is, even when the topic is not directly related to him and it shifts away the discussion.
I didn't even mention Contador originally. People always think Contador is on my mind 24/7 but I can assure you that is not the case :rolleyes: I voiced a different opinion and people exploded. And unlike you and BigMac, Valverde fans #1 and #2, I didn't personally attack those with a different opinion.

Then you're the victim of the reputation that you built for yourself ;)
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,320
0
0
valverde_3000_getty.jpg


respect

WATSON_00004182-002-630x420.jpg
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
"Best Spaniard of his generation" isn't off topic in the Valverde thread. It would be slightly off topic in the Purito and Contador threads, though.
 
Carols said:
Netserk said:
Carols said:
Wow the Ardennes; Bala wins 2 and places 2nd in the other. Yesterday was his birthday, nice present to yourself! He takes over as WT number 1 :). 116 career wins, what a champ.
He has less than 100 career wins.

LOL that is what I get for believing Paul Sherwin and not checking. So how many?
It's some time since I have counted, but I guess it's in the 80s.

edit: It's 90.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=5&victories=1

Take away the Super Besse one and add the three that isn't shown from 2010.
 
Just watched the highlights of the race back again; it really was the perfect performance by Valverde. I hope that his performances this week (and this season in generally) will stop his critics from saying he is poor tactically. The last km today and on wednesday were phenomenal performances; to win in such a controlled manner against a world class field. He knew exactly when to close the gap and when to sprint and didn't look close to blowing up at any time.

Also, regarding his tactics, he has an amazing ability throughout the race to stay in the top 5-10 riders in the peloton. It might mean he occasionally take a bit more of the wind than is absolutely necessary, but it's not coincidence that these days he very rarely gets caught up in a crash or caught on the wrong side of a split.
 
Re:

hrotha said:
I like to make fun of his tactical acumen or lack thereof, and seriously, he has enough blunders in his CV that this can't erase them all, but today he did race very well, tactically.

Yeah, no doubt in the past he has made some awful tactical blunders, but I think he's improved a lot in the last year or so. In fact, probably since the 2013 WC debacle; after that he's been a bit more aggressive and has improved his podium-win ratio.
 
It's not like he was especially challenged tactically these last two races.

It's says it all really when he after the race thinks it was very brave of him to close the gap to Moreno in the final even if it risked losing him the race. :eek: Other than that he was in his comfort zone the whole way. And the only reason I briefly thought Moreno had just a slight chance was because it was Valverde behind.