• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
His two most notable wins this season are San Sebastian and Flèche Wallonne. Hardly holocaust yet. Will be holocaust if he wins Worlds (or Lombardia) though.

Agree,not very impressive wins.No monument or gt for rider of his calibre is weak.

BxlSARUIgAAIcj5.jpg

:confused:

:p

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
I'd consider winning San Sebastian and Fleche Wallone, a Vuelta podium and 4th or 5th (I can't recall where he finished) at the Tour to be a pretty successful season.

Not very impressive wins is something else then an unsuccessful season;)

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Finished in the top 5 in 10 grand tours now... wow! How many other riders have accomplished this in the past? Purito and Contador have each finished in the top 5 on seven occasions, Indurain 9 times, and Ullrich 8 times.

ILovecycling said:
His standards should be high,not mine.He won wt multiple times,so I think its a reasonable expectation.

...and he's second to Contador this year so far. I just think folks like to rag on Valverde because he appears to be one of the forum's favorite whipping boys.

You don't think his personal standards are high? Just because he often stumbles about in accomplishing his goals doesn't mean his standards aren't high. His execution is his major shortcoming. I'm not sure what you're expecting here.

If you look at his results for this year, I just can't understand where you're coming from with this?

...and as far as I know Fleche Wallone is a classic. It's not a monument.

Angliru said:
If you look at his results for this year, I just can't understand where you're coming from with this?

No idea. Valverde has had a fantastic season. I do think that next season he should target the Giro and/or the Vuelta though. He seems to be a level below Contador, Froome, Quintana, and Nibali in the GTs, but they may all target France next year. We'll see.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
His two most notable wins this season are San Sebastian and Flèche Wallonne. Hardly holocaust yet. Will be holocaust if he wins Worlds (or Lombardia) though.

He almost podiumed in 2 consecutive GTs. I don't know many current riders able to do that.
And everybody talked about Contador and Froome not being in top shape for the Vuelta but they keep forgetting that Valverde had a whole tour in his legs, where he fought for the podium till the last day.

nobilis said:
He almost podiumed in 2 consecutive GTs. I don't know many current riders able to do that.
And everybody talked about Contador and Froome not being in top shape for the Vuelta but they keep forgetting that Valverde had a whole tour in his legs, where he fought for the podium till the last day.

Purito last year.3rd in TdF and 4th in Vuelta.

Hopefully yes. One always sense that he's holding back or deliberately is backing off due to the bigger picture, in GT that is. I mean, the way he sprinted off Purito on Ancares gave a brief shot of the real Valverde. That was a 'wow'-moment.

His early stage win while riding for Quintana prior to his Vuelta ending crash, was IMO the most impressive performance of the entire Vuelta. To lead the contenders up a climb, respond to attacks and then just ride everyone off of his wheel for the stage win was amazing.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Strangely, some people are ready to change the basic concepts of cycling just to underestimate the performances of Valverde. I don't understand where all that hate is coming from. Let's wait and see for after the Worlds and GdL.

TRENDING THREADS