• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
nobilis said:
Spectacular Balaverde today! Nuclear Holocaust!
He was the one who initiated the echelons, then reduced the lead group and always at the front then took advantage of the hesitations and the unwillingness to work from contador and the rest. Great tactician.
I can't wait to hear what the valverde haters here have to say about him today.

Pure class today. But some of us knew this.

Rollthedice said:
nobilis said:
He was the one who initiated the echelons, then reduced the lead group and always at the front then took advantage of the hesitations and the unwillingness to work from contador and the rest. Great tactician.

Proudly raises his hand. :D

Angliru said:
Rollthedice said:
nobilis said:

Proudly raises his hand. :D

Ditto! Bala is so dreadfully underrated on this forum by most! Sunday he could win the whole enchilada!

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Jspear said:
I never underrate him in classics or 1 week races. I expect him to do pretty well there. I just wouldn't ever bet on him to perform in gt's, monuments, or the worlds. :)

Betting on him E/W in Worlds is a great bet ;)

Re:

Jspear said:
I never underrate him in classics or 1 week races. I expect him to do pretty well there. I just wouldn't ever bet on him to perform in gt's, monuments, or the worlds. :)

That's odd. You expect him to do pretty well in classics and 1 week races but wouldn't bet on him to perform in monuments, gts, and worlds? I'd say he's about the safest bet in those races as he almost ALWAYS performs there.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Jspear said:

Yeah, like he has never had success in that races. Real cycling knowledge from you, I'm impressed

Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Jspear said:

Yeah, like he has never had success in that races. Real cycling knowledge from you, I'm impressed

He has had success, but then he has also thrown away plenty of opportunities. Did you watch say the 2014 Tour or the 2013 worlds (to name just a couple)? You'd be naive to disagree. :p :)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Jspear said:
Mr.White said:
Jspear said:

He has had success, but then he has also thrown away plenty of opportunities. Did you watch say the 2014 Tour or the 2013 worlds (to name just a couple)? You'd be naive to disagree. :p :)

No, I watched Vuelta 2009, and Liege 2006,2008. Anyway you said you wouldn't bet on him, well I have a proposal, take your pick for Liege, and I'll pick Valverde, for an avatar bet

Mr.White said:
Jspear said:
Mr.White said:
Jspear said:

No, I watched Vuelta 2009, and Liege 2006,2008. Anyway you said you wouldn't bet on him, well I have a proposal, take your pick for Liege, and I'll pick Valverde, for an avatar bet

Don't you think with his talent that he should have more than just that? I sure do. I'd do an avatar bet, but I'm not ready to pick a fav for that race...you can hit me up on the bet in a week or so if you want.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Jspear said:
Mr.White said:
Jspear said:
Mr.White said:
Jspear said:

Don't you think with his talent that he should have more than just that? I sure do. I'd do an avatar bet, but I'm not ready to pick a fav for that race...you can hit me up on the bet in a week or so if you want.

Ok. I will

In DDV last year he was pretty good, was caught in final kilometers. On the other hand in E3 he wasn't that good, gave up on Paterberg but not sure if he was really racing for a result that time (despite obvious thing that he always race for a result).

The distance and his great skills in positioning are his advantages but cobbles itself might be too hard. Cant see him producing enough watts to stay with the bast on Kwaremont and Paterberg but with some tactical racing he might be pretty good and we can see him in some attack in the final 40 k's.

Re:

Wallenquist said:
In DDV last year he was pretty good, was caught in final kilometers. On the other hand in E3 he wasn't that good, gave up on Paterberg but not sure if he was really racing for a result that time (despite obvious thing that he always race for a result).

The distance and his great skills in positioning are his advantages but cobbles itself might be too hard. Cant see him producing enough watts to stay with the bast on Kwaremont and Paterberg but with some tactical racing he might be pretty good and we can see him in some attack in the final 40 k's.

His best chance might be to attack from the very bottom of the Kwaremont. It takes around five minutes from the base, and on a five minute climb he probably has a slight edge on the real classics guys (especially if he can pick his own line over the cobbles), even though it's not very steep. If he leaves it until the last 500m or so he'll probably get left behind by the raw power the others can put out.

It's easy to sit here and say that though, would take a lot of courage and very good legs for him to actually try it!

TRENDING THREADS