• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Fernandez said:
Valverde (and his team director) has been always obsessed with Le Tour and he also loves La Vuelta, because he is beloved for the fans in Spain (he is the most spanish of the spanish riders),

Can you elaborate?

Yes. We are talking of the Great Spanish Trio: Contador, Valverde and Purito. Contador is more of an european rider, he has always riden for foreigns teams, he tries to be more of a "cosmopolitan" rider. Purito is catalonian and lives in Andorra, he is the less spanish of the three. Valverde has riden always for spanish teams, he doesnt even speak other language, he has lived always in his Murcia, and if you listen him speaking he is from the very land of the country.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
8 of the previous 11 ascents were faster than today...

You mean 8 ascents were faster in whole history, not just of the previous 11 ascents? This was not a slow pace by any means, only 12 sec from the record and with that penultimate climb

Fernandez said:
jaylew said:
Fernandez said:
Valverde (and his team director) has been always obsessed with Le Tour and he also loves La Vuelta, because he is beloved for the fans in Spain (he is the most spanish of the spanish riders),

Can you elaborate?

Yes. We are talking of the Great Spanish Trio: Contador, Valverde and Purito. Contador is more of an european rider, he has always riden for foreigns teams, he tries to be more of a "cosmopolitan" rider. Purito is catalonian and lives in Andorra, he is the less spanish of the three. Valverde has riden always for spanish teams, he doesnt even speak other language, he has lived always in his Murcia, and if you listen him speaking he is from the very land of the country.

Are you forgetting that Contador started out with Once/Liberty Seguros? I see your point though. Even going further, you had Freire starting his career with a Spanish team but spending the rest with Rabobank due in large part to his sprint/classic ambitions, Flecha at Fassa Bortolo (Italian), Rabobank and finally Sky due to his cobbled classic ambitions. Let's not forget Sammy Sanchez's entire career at Euskatel Euskadi until this season (BMC).

DBotero said:
Fernandez said:
When Valverde doesnt win its all jokes and laughs, and when he wins its all complains. Sorry people, but the master is the master

Well the hate is strong,especially from Contador fans.

Not every Contador fan, I love Berto, but I can respect Valverde even sometimes I laughed at him too. Today I couldn't help thinking of that Imbatido tag and noone deserved it better with this kind of win.
At one point today I even thought he gave his opponent too much respect (well, but that's him, right...), because once we hit the Muur today, it looked like he would've won any possible way he liked, maybe next year he'll realize it's easier than he thought and attack the final for the record :).

Angliru said:
Fernandez said:
jaylew said:
Fernandez said:

Can you elaborate?

Are you forgetting that Contador started out with Once/Liberty Seguros? I see your point though. Even going further, you had Freire starting his career with a Spanish team but spending the rest with Rabobank due in large part to his sprint/classic ambitions, Flecha at Fassa Bortolo (Italian), Rabobank and finally Sky due to his cobbled classic ambitions. Let's not forget Sammy Sanchez's entire career at Euskatel Euskadi until this season (BMC).

Euskatel was the Basque Country team. Lot of people in Spain we didnt recognize Euskatel as a spanish team.

gunara said:
Angliru said:
Let's not forget Sammy Sanchez's entire career at Euskatel Euskadi until this season (BMC).

Angliru, after what Fernandez said about Purito, how could you bring a rider who rode for a Basque team into the conversation? :)

...because I favor Spanish and Basque rider's equally even though in some of their minds they are separate nationalities. I ride an Orbea and since my first viewing of the sport Pedro Delgado was the first rider that I truly rooted for and I've been in my heart a supporter of the Spanish and Basque riders, especially the climbers, over all others. Pantani and Simoni were the only non-Iberian Peninsula riders that I would consider suppporting over the riders that initially drew me to the sport. My horizons have broadened since then but still my heart is with the Spanish and Basque riders and to a lesser degree the Colombian's. The bias in my opinions is often leaning in their favor.

Angliru said:
gunara said:
Angliru said:
Let's not forget Sammy Sanchez's entire career at Euskatel Euskadi until this season (BMC).

Angliru, after what Fernandez said about Purito, how could you bring a rider who rode for a Basque team into the conversation? :)

...because I favor Spanish and Basque rider's equally even though in some of their minds they are separate nationalities. I ride an Orbea and since my first viewing of the sport Pedro Delgado was the first rider that I truly rooted for and I've been in my heart a supporter of the Spanish and Basque riders, especially the climbers, over all others. Pantani and Simoni were the only non-Iberian Peninsula riders that I would consider suppporting over the riders that initially drew me to the sport. My horizons have broadened since then but still my heart is with the Spanish and Basque riders and to a lesser degree the Colombian's. The bias in my opinions is often leaning in their favor.

I see. It's just that seeing Fernandez' inevitable reply made me smile.
Me drawn to the sport by the Basques myself and later also support Freire, Contador etc., maybe subconsciously give Iberians bonus starting point before deciding whether I like a rider or not, never automatic choices, but unfair advantage there.

EDIT : editing, quoting, and editing quotes are a lot of pain these days.

nobilis said:
hrotha said:
jaylew said:
Fernandez said:

Can you elaborate?
The most Spanish of the Spanish riders is obviously Rojas. :eek:

Franco?! :confused:

Yeah, he's a proud Francoist, I wonder how he could ride with guys like Benat or Izaguirre brothers.

burning said:
nobilis said:
hrotha said:
jaylew said:
Fernandez said:

Can you elaborate?
The most Spanish of the Spanish riders is obviously Rojas. :eek:

Franco?! :confused:

Yeah, he's a proud Francoist, I wonder how he could ride with guys like Benat or Izaguirre brothers.

Who´s a proud francoist?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts