• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:
I think he's decided he has a real chance to win the Giro and wants to go for it 100%.
Maybe if all the real favourites fall into a ravine.

He is the 2nd and 3rd highest rated rider according to the bookies, so I think its safe to say he is one of the favourite. Nibali obviously is the big favourite, but we have seen favourites crash or disappoint in the past and then you have Landa, Dumoulin, Chaves and Majka. Not top-tier stuff.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:
I think he's decided he has a real chance to win the Giro and wants to go for it 100%.

He is the 2nd and 3rd highest rated rider according to the bookies, so I think its safe to say he is one of the favourite. Nibali obviously is the big favourite, but we have seen favourites crash or disappoint in the past and then you have Landa, Dumoulin, Chaves and Majka. Not top-tier stuff.
I'm willing to take an avatar bet on him not winning the Giro.

CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:

I'm willing to take an avatar bet on him not winning the Giro.

Lets go!

Mr.White said:
CheckMyPecs said:
jaylew said:

Name the real favorites?!

Exactly. The only real favorite at this point is Nibs and he could always crash, get sick, have an ill-timed mechanical, or mistime his form. Bala has a better GT resume than anyone else in the field. Chaves, Majka, Landa, Pozzo, Uran, Zakarin, Dumo...no one else has clearly a better shot at winning. Some might argue Landa does but he hasn't even raced this year so who knows what kind of form he'll show come May? Not that I'd pick Bala for the win, mind you, but there is no "real" favorites group that doesn't include him.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After last years Tour, you better take his climbing serious. If he hits that form, Nibali has to achieve his Tour shape of 2014. Only RoboLanda could join that party.

Re:

Marco Pantani said:
After last years Tour, you better take his climbing serious. If he hits that form, Nibali has to achieve his Tour shape of 2014. Only RoboLanda could join that party.

True but will he hit it? Can he cope with possible cold wet weather? His vast experience doesn't include Giro so it's another unknown. Nevertheless I say he is the main rival to Nibs.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
Let's do this. What avatar changes do you suggest?
Obviously this should not be a 50/50 bet lol :D
I'd say, if Valverde wins, you should wear an avatar og Valv.Piti's choice for 10 weeks. If he doesn't win, Valv.Piti should wear an avatar of your choice for 1 week. That would be fair.
Based on bookies' odds, I'd say 1 week for him = 7 weeks for me, not 10. :)

CheckMyPecs said:
Hugo Koblet said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
I'd say, if Valverde wins, you should wear an avatar og Valv.Piti's choice for 10 weeks. If he doesn't win, Valv.Piti should wear an avatar of your choice for 1 week. That would be fair.
That sounds fair :)

Hugo Koblet said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Hugo Koblet said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:

Indeed, deal.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
Hugo Koblet said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Indeed, deal.
:D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Fernandez said:
Clearly Movistar has been failing to set a correct schedule for Valverde this year. And skipping Amstel Gold Race is a proof of this. I think we will never see him winning there. Such a pity.

Yeah, I think he wanted to do cobbles classics, then Ardennes and Tour+Olympics combo, but Unzue persuaded him to do the Giro... Things get complicated, so he gave up on cobbles (which I think is wise in this circumstances, with Giro+Tour+Olympics on schedule). So Flanders next year...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts