• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
This I want to say .Valverde climbing on his big ring and dropping everyone old style. The guy is incredible and he really deserves a tour win when you consider riders like Wiggo and sastre etc have tour wins and are not in his league.
With the very specific exceptions of riders like Walko or Pereiro, the only ones who really deserve to win a GT are the ones who actually do. Second is just the first among the losers.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
ray j willings said:
This I want to say .Valverde climbing on his big ring and dropping everyone old style. The guy is incredible and he really deserves a tour win when you consider riders like Wiggo and sastre etc have tour wins and are not in his league.
With the very specific exceptions of riders like Walko or Pereiro, the only ones who really deserve to win a GT are the ones who actually do. Second is just the first among the losers.

If Valverde got towed round by Froome and the rest of Sky he would have won the tour that year, in-fact I think the bar was so low that year that year that Porte could have won.
Point is though Valves has never got it right at the tour or has had bad luck.
I would love to see him win.

ray j willings said:
CheckMyPecs said:
ray j willings said:

If Valverde got towed round by Froome and the rest of Sky he would have won the tour that year, in-fact I think the bar was so low that year that year that Porte could have won.

Unfortunately, he had his chances in 2008 and 2014 when he was bad. 2014 was horrible compared to what he showed 2013 and 2015. NEVER LUCKY.

ray j willings said:
CheckMyPecs said:
ray j willings said:

I think he just hasn't been prepared to sacrifice a season to have a real shot at the Tour. He'd rather be at 90-95% of his peak all season long, than to be at 100% during the TdF and a couple of stage races and then disappear the rest of the time.

And it's just not possible to win the Tour unless you're at 100%, because so many other riders are peaking for it.

Valv.Piti said:
ray j willings said:
CheckMyPecs said:
ray j willings said:

Unfortunately, he had his chances in 2008 and 2014 when he was bad. 2014 was horrible compared to what he showed 2013 and 2015. NEVER LUCKY.

I like Valverde, but he was the luckiest guy in 2009 when he won la Vuelta because of Evans puncture and shitty wheel change.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
He can't help himself . He's a racer . He loves to compete. I don't think he could/ would throw all his eggs in to one basket like Bertie or Froome.
A truly underestimated rider and climber and unjustly hated by some IMO,
But that's clinic talk.

Yeah, I think we debated it a couple of days ago, but I think Valverde's climbing display in the 2006, 2012 and 2014 Vueltas were better than 2009. The same goes for Tour 2005 (albeit only 1 1/2 stage, but thats enough when beating Armstrong), 2013 and 2015. He was also climbing brilliantly in 2007 in the Alps before collapsing completely in the ITT. What a funny sight it was when Rasmussen, of all freaking people, overtook him. I can't remember if he gave any reasons for that apart from just being plain bad after the alps. He was super consistent in that 2009 Vuelta tho.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

lenric said:
Valv.Piti said:
ray j willings said:
CheckMyPecs said:
ray j willings said:

I like Valverde, but he was the luckiest guy in 2009 when he won la Vuelta because of Evans puncture and shitty wheel change.

He was stronger than Evans, he would of beat him with or without that puncture

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Considering that Evans was 1" faster than Valverde in the post-puncture stages of the Vuelta, it seems quite plausible that Cadel could've defended his lead without the puncture.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
Mr.White said:
Considering that Evans was 1" faster than Valverde in the post-puncture stages of the Vuelta, it seems quite plausible that Cadel could've defended his lead without the puncture.

A whole second! Well didn't know that. He would surely hold that advantage till the end, with all those bonus seconds up for grabs ;)

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Mr.White said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Mr.White said:

A whole second! Well didn't know that. He would surely hold that advantage till the end, with all those bonus seconds up for grabs ;)
What I'm saying is Valverde may or may not have won the Vuelta anyway, but considering what we saw on the road it can't be asserted as confidently as you did.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
4 victories:
Alejandro Valverde (SPA) 2006, 2014, 2015, 2016

3 victories:
Marcel Kint (BEL) 1943, 1944, 1945
Eddy Merckx (BEL) 1967, 1970, 1972
Moreno Argentin (ITA) 1990, 1991, 1994
Davide Rebellin (ITA) 2004, 2007, 2009

TRENDING THREADS