• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Very disappointing and the second time in a row he breaks in a GT as unique leader after the echec of Tour 2014. I don't see him finish on the podium at the end at this rhytym. He can still obtain top 5-10 places in a GT, but those aren't the places he is aiming at in his head ( especially with his podium place in the Tour). Apparently even the Movistar directors aren't willing to see that a podium place becomes less secure. Maybe he will obtain a podiumplace in the Vuelta, but i think it's largely over concerning his podium ambitions in GT's. Age is slowly keeping up with Alejandro..

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
hrotha said:
Letting all those medium mountain stages that were perfect for him go to waste doesn't look like such a bright idea now does it.

I mean, it was to be expected that he wouldn't be the absolutely best climber in the high mountains, so what was he racing for? "Cosas bonitas"?

I agree with you. Valv.Piti doesn't ;)

I think we discussed that a few days ago and If Im not mistaken, I argued that he used the same strategy as in the Tour the previous year and I agreed that if he didnt prove to be that strong (or too strong to win, at least) it was a mistake that he let at least 2 stage wins go.

Either you use Amador or you tell Visconti to get the **** back and start to ride as a team. They played on to many cards, they have done that many times and I have criticised them for it in the past.

So all in all, very disappointing indeed.

It was a joke of course, but i agree with you.

Maybe his approach to the Giro wasn't ideal too. At first, he was planned to ride the cobble classics, but at the end he decided not too do them and focus only on the Ardennes classics. So he didn't rode Catalunya and Pais Vasco, and maybe he misses a bit too much racing at the elite level.

I dont know. Im not too fond of making excuses, but if there was one stage which was worrying for Valverde, it was this one and unfortunately, he didn't do well at all. A podium is a stretch, I am hoping, but above all, I hope for some attacking spirit and a stage win. Movistar needs to try to control stage 18 with Sutterlin and Sutherland and let Bala do his thing in his preferred terrain!

This doesn't come close to meaning Valverde is in decline. That's just bs. Valverde's strongest point was never the rollercoaster stages and battles of attrition. Last year, apart from PSM his worst day in the Tour was the queen stage. He'll do better in the MTT. Andalo and Pinerolo are possibilities to get a stage win. Or if he feels better, go on Agnel or Bonette or whatever. I can see him do it, he was totally yoloing toward the end of the Vuelta last year

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Valverde was clearly not conservative enough, putting all his eggs into the GC basket. Should have conservatively secured a stage win, but risk taker that he is, he trusted the approach that brought him such success at the Tour, where he also didn't attempt to ( or couldn't) win the medium mountain/hilly stages. The bonus seconds awarded at the Giro will have been factored into his decision and apparently didn't change the overall strategy.

Very bold and adventurous, but sadly it looks to have been the wrong call. One can only hope for more caution from Alejandro in future races.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Strong ride by Bala. It's his speciality of course.

Maybe he can get the 3rd podium spot, but he has to attack before stage 19 and 20, because normally he will lose time there on Chavito, Kruijswijk and Nibbles.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Strong ride by Bala. It's his speciality of course.

Maybe he can get the 3rd podium spot, but he has to attack before stage 19 and 20, because normally he will lose time there on Chavito, Kruijswijk and Nibbles.

Stage 16 and 18 looks delicious for Bala. Super, super ride today! A podium would be nice, but as I said before, I as a fan would appreciate some aggressive riding and a stage win more honestly.

DBotero said:
Very good today.He's back in the fight for podium.Nibali looks vulnerable but Kruijswijk & Chaves will be very hard to dislodge.
I think either/both of Kruijswijk and Chaves could crack big time on at least one stage. Both are really inexperienced in this position and have weak teams.

Nibali and Valverde both have a decent chance of the overall win imo.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
DFA123 said:
DBotero said:
Very good today.He's back in the fight for podium.Nibali looks vulnerable but Kruijswijk & Chaves will be very hard to dislodge.
I think either/both of Kruijswijk and Chaves could crack big time on at least one stage. Both are really inexperienced in this position and have weak teams.

Come on. That's a little bit too conservative. Bala showed he's extremely vulnerable in the high mountains.

The chance Bala cracks on Bonette or Agnello is bigger then Chaves or Kruijswijk.

DFA123 said:
DBotero said:

Nibali has the team but his shape is lacking.Maybe he'll improve in the 3rd weak.Movistar and Astana might end up cancelling each other.I don't go that high with Valverde,fighting for podium is enough for me.

Arredondo said:
DFA123 said:
DBotero said:

Come on. That's a little bit too conservative. Bala showed he's extremely vulnerable in the high mountains.

The chance Bala cracks on Bonette or Agnello is bigger then Chaves or Kruijswijk.
I think these last ten days or so of the Giro are so hard that everyone will probably crack and lose time in places - even one of the easy stages is nearly 250km. It just depends who can limit their losses the most. Valverde and Nibali's teams are certainly an advantage in that respect, but then Kruijswijk has the time to play with at the moment. Should be a great final week.

DFA123 said:
DBotero said:

Kruijswijk cracking in a 3rd week is very unlikely.

They had their chance cracking him in the first week. That's his weakest point. But they didn't

Dekker_Tifosi said:
DFA123 said:
DBotero said:

Kruijswijk cracking in a 3rd week is very unlikely.

They had their chance cracking him in the first week. That's his weakest point. But they didn't
Not sure how you can say that. Kruijswijk has never ridden a parcours like these last ten days before, he's never been in a position to defend the MR. How will he cope with the pressure and stress? Will he be able to sleep properly and handle all the extra interviews and press? How will he react when he has a bad moment? Perhaps he's changed his approach and has peaked too soon, rather than too late this time.

There are still so many possibiilties that any scenario with Kruijswijk is not 'very unlikely' at this stage - either cracking big time or going on to win handsomely. He's in completely unchartered water here.

Could not disagree more.
Regardless of the different position (defending a jersey), he did far more exhausting things last year. Like attacking in long breakaways 3 days in a row, still finishing the ITT in the top 5 and all following heavy mountain stages in the top 5.

In comparison defending from worse climbers in this form should be a peace of cake. The only thing that can defeat him is himself. Like not paying attention or getting sick or something

TRENDING THREADS