• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Day by day he is proving to be the best rider of his generation

Look how hard Contador struggled in 2015 and his absolute peak in 2011. Seriously. I had never imagined in my wildest dreams he would be this good after the Ardennes and the Giro. Even Purito in his prime would have struggled being this consistent and Valverde is 36. LAMO.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Look how hard Contador struggled in 2015 and his absolute peak in 2011. Seriously. I had never imagined in my wildest dreams he would be this good after the Ardennes and the Giro. Even Purito in his prime would have struggled being this consistent and Valverde is 36. LAMO.
Contador was fifth. I will see what valverde does... he won't even make top10, mark my words

Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Contador was fifth. I will see what valverde does... he won't even make top10, mark my words

As has been noted, Contador had his whole team devoted to him both years. Valverde, not so much. More consistent, but lacks the level that Contador sometimes can show in the mountains

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:

As has been noted, Contador had his whole team devoted to him both years. Valverde, not so much. More consistent, but lacks the level that Contador sometimes can show in the mountains
Whole team? Yes but a terrible team, tinkoff is worse than movistat by miles. Contador was always alone in the moutains.

portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Whole team? Yes but a terrible team, tinkoff is worse than movistat by miles. Contador was always alone in the moutains.
DId you watch the 2013 and 2015 Tour? I very much doubt it. Seriously. It wasn't a matter of team, but being very mediocre.
Kreuziger was better than him in 2013 and Majka was very decent in 2015.

Re:

Moviestar said:
Very clever before the start: I will lose some time on purpose in the flat stages. And now almost 2 weeks further he is practical in the same time as his leader. It's absolutely not in his nature to lose time on purpose, the guy always wants to compete with the best. To ride a GT without ambitions/pressure is impossible.

Yup. Gotta enjoy him while it lasts. Isn't given enough credit, at all.

Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:
Very clever before the start: I will lose some time on purpose in the flat stages. And now almost 2 weeks further he is practical in the same time as his leader. It's absolutely not in his nature to lose time on purpose, the guy always wants to compete with the best. To ride a GT without ambitions/pressure is impossible.

Yup. Gotta enjoy him while it lasts. Isn't given enough credit, at all.

Very, very unappreciated. He brings it whenever he rolls up to the start of a race. A rare talent.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:

DId you watch the 2013 and 2015 Tour? I very much doubt it. Seriously. It wasn't a matter of team, but being very mediocre.
Kreuziger was better than him in 2013 and Majka was very decent in 2015.
What?? Majka only cares about himself. And i was only talking about 2015. In 2013, contador had a great team

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
We know he's a big fat liar when he said he was going to lose time and work for Quintana. Hasn't done anything amazing in this Tour either. Didn't win the Giro either.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Indeed. Many people won't appreciate the loads of top-3, top-5 and top-10s. It doesnt matter what race, this man just shows up. Ill never forget him, the Chicken, Armstrong and Mancebo on Courchevel, my best memory by far.

My best memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyGRyEIiwU

...because I have never before watched cycling on TV and I was stunned by his performance. I am his fan ever since.

joe_papp said:
Valv.Piti said:
Indeed. Many people won't appreciate the loads of top-3, top-5 and top-10s. It doesnt matter what race, this man just shows up. Ill never forget him, the Chicken, Armstrong and Mancebo on Courchevel, my best memory by far.
Was that this day? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzeS8JUPh2w

Sorry, I know I could watch it and try to figure it out, but want to confirm in advance lol

Yes. Armstrong said he was the next big thing after that performance. :( Crashes and inconsistency ever since, he has not really showed the top notch climbing after that performance in TdF.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

And still people whill whine because of his lack of GT victories or rainbow jersey.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
joe_papp said:
Valv.Piti said:
Was that this day? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzeS8JUPh2w

Sorry, I know I could watch it and try to figure it out, but want to confirm in advance lol

Yes. Armstrong said he was the next big thing after that performance. :( Crashes and inconsistency ever since, he has not really showed the top notch climbing after that performance in TdF.

A true shame indeed. I believe that he suffered a tendinitis in his knee the day after due to a bump into his handlebars and therefore had to abandon.

I must also admit that only since the last couple of years I'm starting to see what a legend this man is. Maybe because before it was just normal to see him competing in whatever race. Loads of guys with similar characteristics are dying to achieve just a tenth of what Valverde does in an average year.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

I found La Pandera (Vuelta 06) more exciting, with a Vino completely exploding and Valverde as a lightning strike to the victory.

Moviestar said:
Valv.Piti said:

I found La Pandera (Vuelta 06) more exciting, with a Vino completely exploding and Valverde as a lightning strike to the victory.

wrong year, 2003 perhaps

in 2006 Vinokourov and Kashechkin rode away unchallenged

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

There have been 3 high mountain stages so far

he finished 8th in Luchon (in a group of 13 riders)

13th from the favorites on Arcalis

was 11th on the road from the favorites on Ventoux prior to that crash

roundabout said:
Moviestar said:
Valv.Piti said:

wrong year, 2003 perhaps

in 2006 Vinokourov and Kashechkin rode away unchallenged

Yes you are right, Alto de El Morredero it is ;)

Some serious talent on display here:

1468957730_242467_1468957790_sumario_grande.jpg

Reactions: maddierules
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It seems the level in the Giro mountain stages was higher than in the Tour. I mean Nibali was able to put almost 3 minutes into Valverde on the Risoul stage.

TRENDING THREADS