• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 130 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Its borderline stupid to think Froome won't ride faster come June and July. Sorry.

Edit: That said, extremely uplifting performance for Don Alejandro. He can win the Vuelta with this shape. Aint gonna win the Tour, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Froome will improve.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
silvergrenade said:
I'm 200% sure he'll be better than today in the Dauphine and the Tour. No way he lets Contador stay with him, or let Valverde win for that matter. He's building form. He will get another gear.
There's a limit to what's humanly possible, you know.

You're right about humanly...
From 2010 I've seen a steady increase in climbing performance. The GC contendors it seems will hit another gear in July. Pantani level is possible it seems in this era too. :lol: :lol:

He will never win the Tour, nor he should aim to do it.

País Vasco, Amstel, Lombardia, WC are the races that should've rounded his palmarés years ago. We all know that his motivation towards this races are fine, but maybe not as extreme as for other races.

Let's say he will probably ride 3 more years of a classic Valverde calendar (that is Ardennes - Tour - Vuelta - WC). It's ok. He can maybe achieve 1 or 2 of the aforementioned races, maybe one more Fleche/Liege and maybe a remote shot at La Vuelta if conditions are very favourable. Retires with a mounstrous palmares.

I mean we are not talking of the start of 2014 Valverde. He has now podiumed both Giro and Tour, that chapter has to be closed.

LaFlorecita said:
silvergrenade said:
I'm 200% sure he'll be better than today in the Dauphine and the Tour. No way he lets Contador stay with him, or let Valverde win for that matter. He's building form. He will get another gear.
There's a limit to what's humanly possible, you know.

"I asked Ferrari. Are we seeing the limits of human performance? He laughed. 'We are nowhere near the limit' he said. " - Alex Gibney, 2012

Velolover2 said:
Velolover2 said:
I still want to see him on the cobbles in 2018 and/or 2019.

The only skill is he is missing.

I wonder if he could win a cobbled classic if he bulked up a bit. Gilbert and Kwiatkowski are punchy riders who do well in the classics.

Maybe he could, but the question is: is the marginal benefit greater than the marginal cost?

As in, does he value a possible cobble win more than all the other things he can win? Obviously I'm considering that he'd have to change his physique in order to contest cobbles.

lenric said:
Velolover2 said:
Velolover2 said:

I wonder if he could win a cobbled classic if he bulked up a bit. Gilbert and Kwiatkowski are punchy riders who do well in the classics.

Maybe he could, but the question is: is the marginal benefit greater than the marginal cost?

As in, does he value a possible cobble win more than all the other things he can win? Obviously I'm considering that he'd have to change his physique in order to contest cobbles.

He has occasionally said during interviews that he would've liked to have ridden Flanders in some past seasons. But more as a challenge to try new things, nothing dead serious.

One does wander what would happen if Valverde suddenly appeared at the start feast in Antwerpen...however back to real life he has a great chance to win his first País Vasco with this form (even though this years parcours is not very selective).

Valverde could end up winning that ITT, but its a prolly a subpar route for him overall. But who knows.

Contador, Henao, Kwito, Roglic, Izagirre, Yates and Alaphilippe will be the main competitors. Chaves and Bardet are there as well, but not expecting too much out of them. As it stands right now, he will be the1st or 2nd favoured rider going in.

KyoGrey said:
lenric said:
Velolover2 said:
Velolover2 said:

He has occasionally said during interviews that he would've liked to have ridden Flanders in some past seasons. But more as a challenge to try new things, nothing dead serious.

One does wander what would happen if Valverde suddenly appeared at the start feast in Antwerpen...however back to real life he has a great chance to win his first País Vasco with this form (even though this years parcours is not very selective).

I didn't know that. Well, in that case I believe he may try it in 2018 or 2019.

If he wins Catalunya, thats 3 races in a row.

If he wants to win Indurain thats 4, but will probably donate that one. For the sake of the argument lets say he wins. Then he goes on to win Pais Vasco and all the Ardennes Gilbert-2011 style with 8 wins in a row. Now that could be awesome. :D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I still don't think he'll ride Itzulia, it may be too much before the Ardennes. I didn't heard he confirmed he'll ride, and by the way I think he already has the form, he doesn't need one more week of tough racing.
As for today, he was early in the wind, that's why he lost. Impey is quite good in these kind of finishes, but I think if Movistar started to chase little earlier and if Rojas led him out little longer, he would've won

Re:

Mr.White said:
I still don't think he'll ride Itzulia, it may be too much before the Ardennes. I didn't heard he confirmed he'll ride, and by the way I think he already has the form, he doesn't need one more week of tough racing.
As for today, he was early in the wind, that's why he lost. Impey is quite good in these kind of finishes, but I think if Movistar started to chase little earlier and if Rojas led him out little longer, he would've won

Pays Basque is an important objective for Movistar as their headquarter is based in Pamplona. The previous editions they have always sent big teams with Quintana/Ion Izagirre or Valverde. It was already scheduled that Valverde would ride 2/3 out of P-N, Catalunya and Pays Basque, so it doesn't matter much.

Moviestar said:
Mr.White said:

Pays Basque is an important objective for Movistar as their headquarter is based in Pamplona. The previous editions they have always sent big teams with Quintana/Ion Izagirre or Valverde. It was already scheduled that Valverde would ride 2/3 out of P-N, Catalunya and Pays Basque, so it doesn't matter much.
This. Would be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't ride Itzulia...

Mr. White, agree on your point on the sprint. Valverde was the strongest, but opened a bit too early/JJ was a bit to spent in the final.

pais-vasco-arrate-desde-azitain-una-crono-al-20-002.jpg

My god, what a rider!

Seven victories already this season and we're not even in April yet. If Movistar hadn't been punished by a minute, he would have won by more than two minutes to Contador (and Soler would have been second). Pure insanity.

I am really excited for Itzulia and the Ardennaises. One week ago I would have thought that it was time for Alaphilippe and Kwiatkowski to take over but if Bala can keep this up, he is going to be extremely dominant the coming month.

TRENDING THREADS