• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So.. who is going to stop him? Is Contador beating him in Itzulia and can Quick Step outnumber him in the classics?

Bad luck or tactics are the only major threats imo. Of course riders like Martin and Alaphilipe have a chance in FW, but I don't see anyone beating him. LBL is harder to control so even though he's the strongest, I could see him losing. But still....man he's strong right now.

- With his overall win Valverde finally wins a WT stage race again, the last.... Vuelta 2009 (!)
- His level in Catalunya usually corresponds with his Ardennes campaign.
2012: abandoned in Catalunya, followed by a bad Ardennes campaign.
2013: yet again abandoned in Catalunya and empty-handed in the classics.
2015: three stage-wins, followed by the double ( Fleche and LBL)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
While I have no doubt that Valverde will be competitive in Itzulia and in the Ardennes, I doubt he can be like this all the way through and I expect him to have some fluctuations.

It would be normal for an almost 37 year old rider to have some flaws during a season.

But hey: Alejando Valverde Belmonte isn't a normal rider ;)

Re:

Arredondo said:
Just let him ride Pais Vasco. Winning Itzulia for the first time would be something special. He can do it in this shape.
Can't see why he wouldn't - the plan was P-N + Catalunya/Itzulia, so he will still get those 2 big stage races in this way. Hopefully he will win Indurain beforehand and Phil Gil 2011 the rest of it like a boss.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Just let him ride Pais Vasco. Winning Itzulia for the first time would be something special. He can do it in this shape.
Can't see why he wouldn't - the plan was P-N + Catalunya/Itzulia, so he will still get those 2 big stage races in this way. Hopefully he will win Indurain beforehand and Phil Gil 2011 the rest of it like a boss.

Yeah, but it's not the same thing if you do P-N + Catalunya or Itzulia, as doing Catalunya + Itzulia. The latter is a much more tougher combo for a rider who peaks for Ardennes, you simply haven't got time to recover properly. Actually I think Bala never did that combo in his career, he either did Catalunya or Pais Vasco. I would be more than happy if he can win Itzulia and I think he has the form to do it, but that wouldn't be a smart move. Smart thing to do is rest, then ride GP Indurain and Amorebieta, and then bring on the Ardennes.

Mr.White said:
Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:

Yeah, but it's not the same thing if you do P-N + Catalunya or Itzulia, as doing Catalunya + Itzulia. The latter is a much more tougher combo for a rider who peaks for Ardennes, you simply haven't got time to recover properly. Actually I think Bala never did that combo in his career, he either did Catalunya or Pais Vasco. I would be more than happy if he can win Itzulia and I think he has the form to do it, but that wouldn't be a smart move. Smart thing to do is rest, then ride GP Indurain and Amorebieta, and then bring on the Ardennes.
Yes, overall I agree, but I really, really just hope he will ride Pais Vasco. I was so disappointed when he didn't ride P-N, I just wan't to watch this legend race. :cool:

And obviously gotta get that 3/3 against Contador in spanish stage races. :p

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Im really starting to believe Valverde actually has a chance of winning Tour de France when looking at the route. Am I crazy?

I don't see why not. Especially if he has a lucky stage where a crash or crosswinds break apart the field, where Froome and a few other key GC riders lose a lot of time. I think this year's TDF has an especially high chance of being decided in part by an unexpected event like 1999's Passage du Gois (spelling).

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Im really starting to believe Valverde actually has a chance of winning Tour de France when looking at the route. Am I crazy?

if you said how are they going to beat him in the upcoming Ardenne races I would agree in this sort of form. Martin is also looking good. I still think at the Tour he has to be a podium chance but it won't be easy. I would say that he has as good a chance of a podium as Contador. Froome will be a different proposition in July as usual but second and third will be hard fought like last year. I am starting to think that Porte might finally get his elusive podium at the Tour after his usual dramas last year cost him once again.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:

As much as i like you, yes: you're out of your mind :D :p

Bala was impressive, but as already said, he still won a 200 meter sprint at La Molina and only a 4 km fight on a single mountain stage. That's not comparable to a Tour at all.

Froome is a class above him when it comes to racing three weeks at a consistent level. He has a chance to podium it, but not a single rider in history has won the Tour at 37 years of age. Especially not a rider who's not an absolutely born GT-rider.

Don't expect miracles ;)

I feel there's always going to be that one bad day where he will lose a lot of time on the Tour, when the lips go chalk white. A podium in July would be a great achievement, but anything more? I can't see it. Would be fun though.

Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:

As much as i like you, yes: you're out of your mind :D :p

Bala was impressive, but as already said, he still won a 200 meter sprint at La Molina and only a 4 km fight on a single mountain stage. That's not comparable to a Tour at all.

Froome is a class above him when it comes to racing three weeks at a consistent level. He has a chance to podium it, but not a single rider in history has won the Tour at 37 years of age. Especially not a rider who's not an absolutely born GT-rider.

Don't expect miracles ;)

No, you are out of your mind! :p

To be fair my reasoning is the following: If Froome crashes or gets sick, then he might have a chance considering Quintana is riding Il Giro and Contador is getting older and I would be on Valverde against Bardet, Chaves and Porte in top shape any day of the week as it stands right now.

I know, long shot, but you never know.....