• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re-watched the stage. I think he was the powerful of the trio. Eager to keep the pace very high and took the longest pulls. It's like he has become a better rouleur over time. It convinced me that he certainly can make it to top 10 in races like De Ronde.

I'd like to see him go for the northern classics. A 5'10 all-rounder who can do well in races like Strade Bianche has a lot better odds than a 5'7 climber.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Re-watched the stage. I think he was the powerful of the trio. Eager to keep the pace very high and took the longest pulls. It's like he has become a better rouleur over time. It convinced me that he certainly can make it to top 10 in races like De Ronde.

I'd like to see him go for the northern classics. A 5'10 all-rounder who can do well in races like Strade Bianche has a lot better odds than a 5'7 climber.
Perhaps in the beginning when he and Fuglsang were cresting the Garbi climb. But I advice you to watch the race again if you think he made the majority of the work in the flat run-in to the line. During the last 10km's he consistently skipped a turn to make either LLS or Fuglsang come through more often than they had to.

Smart racing on all accounts. I really admire Valverde and hope he'll another spring season like that of last year. But let's be real and give credit where credit is due: it was not because of Valverde alone that the break managed to last yesterday. It was because LLS caught up with the duo that they succeeded in the first place and it was because of Fuglsang taking a huge pull that they didn't lose more of their advantage in the closing 1½ km's.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

I like how so many people have come around to Valverde recently. I think its a mixture of many things, but mainly just that people are in awe of how well he is doing despite his advanced age now also the injury. He has also (kinda) lost his reputation of just being a wheesucker, as many know, he is much more than simply just that. In fact, he is the one that animates many of them at this point apart from the Ardennes where he knows he is the fastest and doesn't need to. Then you obviously also have the clinic stuff which is now 6-8 years ago.

Its the first test this year where we really get to see his true level, I think. The climb is very suited to Valverde and I think and hope he will give it his all not just to win GC, but also this stage.

Isn't he becoming more of a hardman? It seems like he has gotten a lot better on the flat stuff. Better time trialist, better at setting a high pace..

His sprint and punch wouldn't last forever and he is getting too old for Grand Tours (Vuelta 2018 should be his last GC race). Maybe it's time to set new goals for 2019 and 2020 (he said that he would continue until at least age 40)? Bulk up and target Strade, Amstel, Flanders, E3, GW, Paris-Tours and Omloop.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
Isn't he becoming more of a hardman? It seems like he has gotten a lot better on the flat stuff. Better time trialist, better at setting a high pace..

His sprint and punch wouldn't last forever and he is getting too old for Grand Tours (Vuelta 2018 should be his last GC race). Maybe it's time to set new goals for 2019 and 2020 (he said that he would continue until at least age 40)? Bulk up and target Strade, Amstel, Flanders, E3, GW, Paris-Tours and Omloop.

And better descender and rider in wet conditions.

Lets remember that in the late 2000's they could be weak spots in certain conditions. Not anymore.

At age 37 and with 15+ years of competition experience, he is so complete...

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Re: Re:

KyoGrey said:
WheelofGear said:

Lets remember that in the late 2000's they could be weak spots in certain conditions. Not anymore.

When he gets the Rainbow Jersey in Innsbruck that will cement his complete all around legendary status

HBA01 said:
KyoGrey said:
WheelofGear said:

When he gets the Rainbow Jersey in Innsbruck that will cement his complete all around legendary status

Yeah a rainbow jersey would be really awesome. I’m torn. Not sure if I want him or Nibali to take it. I’ll be happy with either....

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site

Jspear said:
HBA01 said:
KyoGrey said:
WheelofGear said:

Yeah a rainbow jersey would be really awesome. I’m torn. Not sure if I want him or Nibali to take it. I’ll be happy with either....

Same

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I like how so many people have come around to Valverde recently. I think its a mixture of many things, but mainly just that people are in awe of how well he is doing despite his advanced age now also the injury. He has also (kinda) lost his reputation of just being a wheesucker, as many know, he is much more than simply just that. In fact, he is the one that animates many of them at this point apart from the Ardennes where he knows he is the fastest and doesn't need to. Then you obviously also have the clinic stuff which is now 6-8 years ago.

Its the first test this year where we really get to see his true level, I think. The climb is very suited to Valverde and I think and hope he will give it his all not just to win GC, but also this stage.

Valverde has never animated a big race. Just these smaller races nobody gives a *** about.

As for the clinic stuff, not the place to discuss here, but one must be very naive to think much has improved since then, just look at Froome.

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Is he riding Ruta Del Sol? He can win stage 1, 2 and 4. And the 15k ITT is the perfect length for him.

He shouldn't be riding Abu Dhabi Tour. It doesn't suit him at all.

He is gonna ride Ruta Del Sol I believe

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:

Valverde has never animated a big race. Just these smaller races nobody gives a **** about.

As for the clinic stuff, not the place to discuss here, but one must be very naive to think much has improved since then, just look at Froome.

Well I guess that depends on what you mean by animate and big race. Sure, he doesn't have the swash buckling panache of Alberto in the GTs, or the Mars like battle rage in the classics of Bettini, but he's just as devestating in being 100% aware of his incredible (increasingly considering his age) physical capabilities to get him in the position to win, usually among less than a handfull of survivors, to finish them off with his devestating kick to the finish line. What more can you ask from a guy his age? He doesn't need to, nor should he, race any other way. Arguably he's got the best class in the peloton, at 37!

Seeing him doing so well, makes me wonder if Alberto could have given it a go for a another year.

He'd said something about racing both Ruta de Sol and Abu Dhabi.

Looks like he still has his sprint at this point. Yes he's become much better at some of the things he wasn't as good at earlier in his career and I think it's got to do with the fact that he's now racing without pressure and has confidence in his abilities. Yes, as good as he is, he has said he struggled with confidence. He said after he got the Tour podium that he doesn't have anything left to prove and now is fully free to just race and have fun. That has to be taken into account.

I was going to put up some photos from the start today but have received a message to say the board attachment quota has been reached.
Thankfully the sun came out today to warm things up! Great win again doing what Alejandro does best.

All the riders seemed to be in a good mood. Nice to see the Cofidis Spanish champions jersey and bike on show as well.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

rhubroma said:
El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:

Valverde has never animated a big race. Just these smaller races nobody gives a **** about.

Well I guess that depends on what you mean by animate and big race. Sure, he doesn't have the swash buckling panache of Alberto in the GTs, or the Mars like battle rage in the classics of Bettini, but he's just as devestating in being 100% aware of his incredible (increasingly considering his age) physical capabilities to get him in the position to win, usually among less than a handfull of survivors, to finish them off with his devestating kick to the finish line. What more can you ask from a guy his age? He doesn't need to, nor should he, race any other way. Arguably he's got the best class in the peloton, at 37!

Seeing him doing so well, makes me wonder if Alberto could have given it a go for a another year.

Any big race he ever won was so boring that it put me asleep while watching.

Winning doesn't equal class.

Contador, Nibali and Gilbert have class... Valverde not so much.

El Pistolero said:
rhubroma said:
El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:

Any big race he ever won was so boring that it put me asleep while watching.

Winning doesn't equal class.

Contador, Nibali and Gilbert have class... Valverde not so much.

Oh c'mon...

mariposa said:
I was going to put up some photos from the start today but have received a message to say the board attachment quota has been reached.
Thankfully the sun came out today to warm things up! Great win again doing what Alejandro does best.

All the riders seemed to be in a good mood. Nice to see the Cofidis Spanish champions jersey and bike on show as well.

Valv.Piti had to post my pictures from the 2015 Worlds because I get the same message. If you ask and can get him the pictures I'm sure he'll post them for you as I think we'd all love to see your pictures.

Geraint Too Fast said:
Velolover2 said:
He shouldn't be riding Abu Dhabi Tour. It doesn't suit him at all.
Are you thinking of the Dubai Tour? Abu Dhabi suits him pretty well.
You think so?

jebel-hafeet.jpg

TRENDING THREADS