• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 203 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
El Pistolero said:
Tonton said:
So "nuclear holocoust" (holocaust) was the right answer in the poll page 1...next he wins all three GTs and the RRWC :D .

The poll asked for 2012 specifically. He wasn't that great that year.

And yes, and he'll beat honest riders like Pinot while doing so.

It's a breakthrough of science: how nuclear reactions may take a while to develop at their strongest :) . Valverde must be at his 4.0 right now. '12 not great, TdF '14 my chouchou beat him, something happened in the...sky...and Alejandro thought that if the sky is the limit, let's go for it. Not to say he was a slouch in between. The new era of cycling is working well for him. It goes to show how tenacity and hard work pay off.

If I'm reading the quote right I don't think Alaphilippe specifically stated he wants to beat Valverde in a sprint. So he's free to race and attempt to win in a different way. Let's hope he does, both for the sake of the race and for his chances to win, because as El Pisti said, waiting for a sprint would be like handing the win to Valverde on a silver platter.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
joe_papp said:
What's the latest on Valverde? Any updates on his training? Is he tuned up for Amstel?

A bunch of pictures and he posted a video on twitter of the recon/training ride he and several of the Movistar riders did today at Paris-Roubaix. He should start doing recon/training rides for Amstel tomorrow.

Had to laugh at that photo on the front page of CN at the moment. He knows how to position himself :)

armchairclimber said:
Koronin said:
joe_papp said:
What's the latest on Valverde? Any updates on his training? Is he tuned up for Amstel?

A bunch of pictures and he posted a video on twitter of the recon/training ride he and several of the Movistar riders did today at Paris-Roubaix. He should start doing recon/training rides for Amstel tomorrow.

Had to laugh at that photo on the front page of CN at the moment. He knows how to position himself :)

LOL, Well he is the leader of that team. He posted a video on twitter that he took, and he's also having fun. Then again he's on his bike, he's having fun.

armchairclimber said:
Koronin said:
joe_papp said:

Hah, just saw that. I don't think those articles weren't up when I posted my question, either!

joe_papp said:
armchairclimber said:
Koronin said:
joe_papp said:

Hah, just saw that. I don't think those articles weren't up when I posted my question, either!

Probably not. Here's the link the Valverde's video. https://twitter.com/alejanvalverde/status/983720316437491712

Bala for "Ciclismo Internacional":
I think the Mur de Huy adapts perfectly to my characteristics ", says Valverde, who feels like in the backyard of the house on the famous 1,200 meters long slope and slopes that exceed 20%. I try to make sure no one leaves, I evaluate the distance and then I hit. If I'm in the lead with 200-250 meters ahead, then it's really hard to beat me. It's a distance that I've learned to master, that's where I have the advantage. Liège also has a hard finish that I like ", adds the 'Bala', after revealing the recipe to his rivals to overcome it. A demanding and curvy route benefits me," he explains. "It's also more difficult for me, but everything becomes easier in the end. My rivals have also had problems and then I do not have to make the same kind of effort to position myself. I have to adapt every year, depending on the race conditions and what my rivals have been doing ", responds Valverde, the historic leader of the Movistar Team, who will be accompanied by a" great team ", in which Mikel Landa will line up or Marc Soler, who will allow him to "always be in a good position.

Its fun now that all these videos, but also Strava-segments are emerging from Alejandro. The Finnish guy on Twitter also said he had ridden most cobbled sectors faster than the best in Roubaix, its not a race, but still. And also the video where he absolutely smashed La Redoute in the drops, thats some pretty good stuff to get you excited for the Ardennes. Guy is obviously having a lot of fun and at the same time is in some serious shape. If Sagan doesn't turn up and is otherworldly tomorrow, he is my favourite, even in Amstel.

The way he's riding right now and the form he's on he's got a real shot at the Ardennes triple this year. I think the injury with the realization it could have ended his career reminded him again how much he just loves to ride and race and I think that's some of what we're seeing again. Just how much fun he's having leads me to believe he's going to keep racing for a few more years (past 2020).

Re:

Koronin said:
The way he's riding right now and the form he's on he's got a real shot at the Ardennes triple this year. I think the injury with the realization it could have ended his career reminded him again how much he just loves to ride and race and I think that's some of what we're seeing again. Just how much fun he's having leads me to believe he's going to keep racing for a few more years (past 2020).

Yes Valverde has been mega strong in the early part of the season the last few years. In this form he is of course a huge threat at all the Ardennes classics. But past 2020? He will be 40 years old by 2020 :exclaim: Your fun must surely start to fade soon compared to the younger competition.

But I need to ask, has anyone suggested that your avatar looks like a scarecrow with his arms out like that? Surely you can find a better one? Gives me the creeps :eek:

Cookster15 said:
Koronin said:

Yes Valverde has been mega strong in the early part of the season the last few years. In this form he is of course a huge threat at all the Ardennes classics. But past 2020? He will be 40 years old by 2020 :exclaim: Your fun must surely start to fade soon compared to the younger competition.

But I need to ask, has anyone suggested that your avatar looks like a scarecrow with his arms out like that? Surely you can find a better one? Gives me the creeps :eek:

The full picture of this avatar he's sitting on a wall. For you, I'll see about a different picture.

Yeah, he'll be 40, but if he's still having fun he'll keep racing. He made a comment a year or two ago that he didn't need to win races to be valuable to the team. Something about he can offer a lot more to the team than just winning. Remember with him he truly loves to ride. For him winning is just a bonus, a great bonus, but a bonus. There are also plenty of races in which you can see he's genuinely happy for the person who won. He's also know for gifting some races to teammates. This year to Amador. Two years ago he gifted the entire podium to two teammates and a rider from Caja Rural.

Impeccable shape. Better than what he did last year in Amstel - he was maybe the strongest rider here, but was hampered by the fact that he only is 62 kg. Great, great perfomance.

If he doesn't crash, he wins Fléche. Liege is always more complicated, but he is still the big favourite.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Impeccable shape. Better than what he did last year in Amstel - he was maybe the strongest rider here, but was hampered by the fact that he only is 62 kg. Great, great perfomance.

If he doesn't crash, he wins Fléche. Liege is always more complicated, but he is still the big favourite.
If there is one single team except movistar trying to control FW I'll get angry. Valverde looked so much stronger than his rivals for fleche today that it would really be a present. No way valverde can be beaten on the mur

A lot better than he did last year. Who would have thought after that injury he'd be in better shape this year than last year when he had his best ever spring. He's definitely on that form if not better form.

Valv.Piti, totally agree another Fleche Wallone is his. He's again got a great shot at tying Merckx's record at Liege and will definitely be the huge favorite there.

TRENDING THREADS