• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 211 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Barbero posted this on twitter:

Cuando Valverde te dice:
”Barbero yo te coloco para el sprint”.
Es como si tu madre te dice cuando tienes un problema:
“Hijo no te preocupes,yo te lo soluciono”.
Puedes estar tranquilo que las dos cosas van a pasar

When Valverde says he will prepare the sprint its the same thing when your mom tells you she will fix it - you can be sure both things will happen!

He looked good today, the power is definitely there. Vamos campeón! :cool:

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
Do you guys think that Quintana and Landa would work for Valverde if he gets past the cobbles 3+ mins up over them?

Quintana highly unlikely. Landa probably would. Quintana already was not happy and only grudgingly worked for Valverde at Catalonia. Landa was more than happy and willing to work for Valverde at the Ardennes. I think the other thing with Landa, is that he knows that at some point Valverde is highly likely to give him the green light to go try to get something for himself as well. Valverde is known for releasing his teammates at the end of stages as well.

Re:

Blanco said:
10th for Bala, 11th in the making...

Equaling last year's win total. Truthfully, did any of us truly believe he would equal last year's win total this year after that injury at the Tour? I always believed if anyone could come back and win again (esp at his age) it would be him, but even I didn't expect him to come close to that win total this year. Also adding another race to his palmares that he hadn't won before. Yes a small race, but still one that wasn't on his palmares. Also again proving that as a non sprinter he's a very prolific winner.

Lets hope he can get 15 or 16 wins, a stage in the Tour, two stages in La Vuelta + overall :p

For a moment I was a little scared he didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.

"It was a very demanding stage, and even if the weather conditions were really good for most of it, the final section was foggy and slightly rainy, and made for dangerous descents – but it really wasn’t that big of a problem. At the final split with Navarro and Elissonde, I was able to stay calm and follow their moves without much suffering – we were going on the attack in the beginning, but later understood it was better to cooperate, at least before the final slopes. They tried to drop me back into the final section because they knew I would be faster into a sprint, but I was able to keep their pace and grab the win."

Valv.Piti said:
Lets hope he can get 15 or 16 wins, a stage in the Tour, two stages in La Vuelta + overall :p

For a moment I was a little scared he didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.

15 wins would equal his all-time win total for one season. To do that or break that at 38 would be crazy, but also would be so him.

I wouldn't worry too much about how he looked on that climb. He's usually more than happy to rely on his sprint for wins and that's what he did today. Yes a small race, but one that wasn't on his palmares before, so why not add it. Also I don't think he's that close to a peak right now. Maybe 75% maybe even less than that. He shouldn't be trying to peak at the Tour with the Vuelta/Worlds/Lombardia being bigger goals for him later and a 2nd peak then being a better idea than a 3rd peak like he usually does.
As for the descent, wouldn't be surprised if he's still be a bit more caution in bad weather because of last year's crash than he would have been before. Can't blame him for that. I agree I'm glad he choose this one over Suisse as well.

Valv.Piti said:

For a moment I was a little scared he
didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.

Don't forget to add WRRC, WITTC, GdL, and Paris-Tours.

SHAD0W93 said:
Valv.Piti said:

For a moment I was a little scared he
didnt have anymore left, but apart from that moment, he looked good. After that Kenny and Navarro knew they stood no chance, but he still wasn't dominating them. Im glad he chose to do this race over rainy Suisse and get it on his palmarés. Yes, small race, but wouldn't have won Suisse. Another thing I noticed was he was taking the downhill very slowly, probably because it was foggy/a bit wet.

Don't forget to add WRRC, WITTC, GdL, and Paris-Tours.

LOL, swap out WITTC for another San Sebastian.

Because it's unlikely he'll race the WITT. He doesn't even race the Spanish National Championships ITT very often.

Today 11 wins for the season and if he didn't mistime the sprint could have been 12. He's now equaled last year's win total and is 4 short of his personal all-time season win total of 15 which he did in 2004. He's also 4 wins short of getting 100 wins with team Movistar and 1 win short of Indurain's team record.

Re:

Koronin said:
Because it's unlikely he'll race the WITT. He doesn't even race the Spanish National Championships ITT very often.

Today 11 wins for the season and if he didn't mistime the sprint could have been 12. He's now equaled last year's win total and is 4 short of his personal all-time season win total of 15 which he did in 2004. He's also 4 wins short of getting 100 wins with team Movistar and 1 win short of Indurain's team record.
Are stats something that Americans really love? :D

Great racing today from El Imbatido, damn close to a pretty nice win. Too bad, but it bodes well!!

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:

Great racing today from El Imbatido, damn close to a pretty nice win. Too bad, but it bodes well!!

Yeah, stats are very ingrained in American sports fans. Baseball and American football are extremely stats heavy and to a fault are used to compare different players from not just the same era but different eras as well. Baseball is probably the worst for that. :D

Yes, his racing definitely bodes well for the rest of the season. Nice time off to recover from the first half and now time to come back and race again. He's definitely a bit off peak, but he should be. He shouldn't be aiming for his 2nd peak until the end of the Vuelta and then hold that through the Worlds and maybe, if lucky, through Lombardia. Plus racing here instead of the Duaphine or Suisse may keep him from being over raced by the time we get to the Worlds and Lombardia.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:

Yes, we love stats and records.

If he wins Vuelta, Worlds, and GdL the forum will probably crash. :D

Figure this is the most logical threat to put this is. Alejandro's amateur team announced today that they are adding an elite and U-23 team for next year to their line up of teams that currently includes a school (the young kids), cadet team and junior team. Here's the link to the twitter announcement:
https://twitter.com/Valverde_Team/status/1014112666946883584
This is the link to the announcement on their website (which is only in Spanish) http://www.valverdeteam.es/index.php/junior/valverde-team-terra-fecundis-dara-un-paso-mas-en-2019/

This is the announcement in Spanish:
El Club Ciclista Balaverde Team anuncia que, de cara a la próxima temporada, continuará con su plan de crecimiento y desarrollo en favor del ciclismo base impulsando la creación de un conjunto de categoría élite y sub 23. Esta formación se sumará a las ya existentes en los escalones júnior y cadete y a la escuela de casi cincuenta chicos y chicas con base de operaciones en la ciudad de Murcia. Esta nueva iniciativa propiciará que casi 100 ciclistas formen parte del proyecto deportivo a partir del curso 2019.

El paso ha sido posible gracias al apoyo de un grupo de patrocinadores que comparte la visión de los técnicos y del propio Alejandro Valverde: completar el largo proceso de formación y desarrollo iniciado en escuelas hasta el escalón previo al profesionalismo. De este modo, Valverde Team-Terra Fecundis se convertirá en uno de los pocos proyectos ciclistas en España que engloba bajo un mismo maillot a deportistas de todas las categorías base.

La empresa Terra Fecundis volverá a dar nombre a los diferentes equipos, apostando por un grupo humano liderado por el ciclista Alejandro Valverde, quien esta semana arranca con Movistar Team una nueva edición del Tour de Francia. Aunque uno de los principales objetivos continuará siendo brindar la oportunidad a jóvenes valores de la Región de Murcia, el proyecto también contará con deportistas de inestimable potencial procedentes de otras regiones.

Los técnicos de Valverde Team-Terra Fecundis trabajan en la confección de una plantilla que no será desvelada hasta próximas semanas y en un calendario de enjundia para su estreno en el competitivo escalón élite y sub 23.

TRENDING THREADS