• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 228 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
It's a pity that my "Valverde can't win one day races that aren't controlled to the final kilometer" argument in the Nibali vs Valverde
I dunno which race you watched.
Ofc it was an "easy win" for him as he didn't really have to do anything except riding in the peloton, giving all he had on the final climb and sprinting for the win. There never were any tactical games. However it's his first big one day race win which isn't LBL and almost all his other one day race wins were the uphill sprints in the Flèche Wallone so this simply adds a lot to his palmares in terms of diversity.

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
It's a pity that my "Valverde can't win one day races that aren't controlled to the final kilometer" argument in the Nibali vs Valverde
I dunno which race you watched.
Ofc it was an "easy win" for him as he didn't really have to do anything except riding in the peloton, giving all he had on the final climb and sprinting for the win. There never were any tactical games. However it's his first big one day race win which isn't LBL and almost all his other one day race wins were the uphill sprints in the Flèche Wallone so this simply adds a lot to his palmares in terms of diversity.
I think this finish was very similar to San Sebastian - certainly the last time he won it, so perhaps not completely unique. But an extra 50km+ of racing certainly gives it more kudos.

15383189263012.jpg

Tonton said:
No panic for The Don. When the year started, I picked him to win this bike race. The winner will have to be"

1. An excellent climber: check
2. An explosive climber on that last one: check
3. Be a good descender (lead to the finish): check
4. If it's a small group (3,4,5?) sprint, out-sprint them: check

Alaphilippe is the threat, or a 2 on 1 from a team (Italy, France?) with one attacking in the final kilometer, force Valverde to chase, the second rider beats/out-kicks him.

Kwiat is dangerous too in this scenario.

If Simon says "try to catch me", done it, watch out.

And there's Vicenzo...

I can't imagine Don Alejandro not on the podium. For the win, there's no guarantee. But he's a serious customer.
Prophetic.
I missed the race but saw the podium ceremony, but when I tuned in, the way they were framing Valv in the camera shot gave no indication as to what position he'd finished on podium. I was dying! Thought, "omg, please don't let him have gotten third again" lol.

markene2 said:
I imagine Valverde fans are feeling just as happy as i was feeling when Vino won in London.

Great rider, well deserved win
My two favorite riders. And Vino's London win was epic. Simply beautiful. What a finish to his career as a rider.

Re:

KyoGrey said:
http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/mundial/2018/09/30/5bb0e4c722601d615f8b4591.html

Legendary. And Spain was today fabulous.

Castroviejo, Fraile, Herrada, De la Cruz, Izagirre and Nieve all did their duty in the finest manner.
I thought de la Cruz especially was fantastic, doing a lot of unheralded work to keep the race compact. Basically closed down every move by a French or Italian rider in the first 200km.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Legend!
Lombardia should be a target now.
That would be great but I honestly don't really care if he ever wins another race. I spent all year thinking about this race, knowing it was likely his last shot. I am on cloud 9 and would have been really disappointed if he'd never won Worlds after all the close calls.

What's the record for total medals in the Worlds rr?

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
SafeBet said:
Legend!
Lombardia should be a target now.
That would be great but I honestly don't really care if he ever wins another race. I spent all year thinking about this race, knowing it was likely his last shot. I am on cloud 9 and would have been really disappointed if he'd never won Worlds after all the close calls.

What's the record for total medals in the Worlds rr?
Valverde already had the record before today didn't he? So I guess it's seven now :)

I cant describe how happy I am... imagine how happy El Don was. Well, you dont have to imagine that as it was obvious to the whole world. Guy just loves racing his bike and he sure likes winning. Amazing!

Spain was incredible today, especially Fraile, Herrada and Cruz were very prominent closing down attacks and pulling.

Need I say that, yes, he is the best bike rider in the world. And he has a great case for best cyclist from 00 and onwards IMO.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I cant describe how happy I am... imagine how happy El Don was. Well, you dont have to imagine that as it was obvious to the whole world. Guy just loves racing his bike and he sure likes winning. Amazing!

Spain was incredible today, especially Fraile, Herrada and Cruz were very prominent closing down attacks and pulling.

Need I say that, yes, he is the best bike rider in the world. And he has a great case for best cyclist from 00 and onwards IMO.
This. The win has elevated him to a new level. I think Froome is the only other rider of the last 20 years that you could make an argument for.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
I wonder what Joaquim Rodriguez is thinking right now

He actually tweeted a Congratulations. He tweeted two things as soon as the race was over an emoji of a gold medal and then a Congratulations.
We can speculate all we want on the relationship between the epic spanish tridente, but at the end of the day, despite the rivalry, I think all of Contador, Purito and Valverde have a genuinely have a huge respect of each other and like each other. Lets not forget that not only did he *** it up for Purito, but also for himself. It shouldn't happen but it happened, but seriously, get over it. He also robbed himself so it wasn't done with shady motivations or anything like that, just a normal Valverde *** up.

Im sure Contador and especially Purito are happy for Valverde. The latter has always struck me like an incredibly nice human and I actually really miss him.

TRENDING THREADS