• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 229 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
I am so very happy. This was a long time coming. This was a huge glaring race missing from his palmares and now he has it. You have no idea how happy I am. I now need to go find a replay of it as due to time differences I didn't get up until the race was almost over.

For whoever asked about medals, he already had the record for most World's medals at 6. He just extended that today to put it at 7. He also already had the record for most time between first at most recent Worlds medal which he also extended today.

Both Purito and Contador have a great relationship with Valverde.

When they were fighting each other they had their fights but deep down they respected each other and besides it is just impossible to hate the guy.

I would say that Contador is more on the "respect" side and Purito has more of a "friend" dynamic with him.

During Contador's tenure comentating for Eurosport Spain and Purito's with Perico and Carlos de Andres for RTVE this year, they were diehard supporters of Valverde.

It was even embarassing the way that Purito was commentating on the final week of this years Vuelta, throwing decency out of the window like a total fanboy. :lol:

Re:

KyoGrey said:

When they were fighting each other they had their fights but deep down they respected each other and besides it is just impossible to hate the guy.

I would say that Contador is more on the "respect" side and Purito has more of a "friend" dynamic with him.

During Contador's tenure comentating for Eurosport Spain and Purito's with Purito and Carlos de Andres for RTVE this year, they were diehard supporters of Valverde.

It was even embarassing the way that Purito was commentating on the final week of this years Vuelta, throwing decency out of the window like a total fanboy. :lol:

God I would have liked to hear that. So I guess Red Ricks question is settled then....

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
KyoGrey said:

During Contador's tenure comentating for Eurosport Spain and Purito's with Purito and Carlos de Andres for RTVE this year, they were diehard supporters of Valverde.

God I would have liked to hear that. So I guess Red Ricks question is settled then....

"This (race) is of Alejandro, this (race) is of Alejandro, I tell you" "Yess, now, now, attack them, go, go, go, go"
"YEEESSS, man what did I told you?" "He is just so goood hahahha"

or

"Come on Alejandro, don't let them go now...You have to be strong mentally"
"Only 6km, a time-trial to the top Bala, come on come on..."
"But why (the ***) are they taking turns ahead?"
"WHERE IS QUINTANA?"

More or less. :D

KyoGrey said:
Valv.Piti said:
KyoGrey said:

"This (race) is of Alejandro, this (race) is of Alejandro, I tell you" "Yess, now, now, attack them, go, go, go, go"
"YEEESSS, man what did I told you?" "He is just so goood hahahha"

or

"Come on Alejandro, don't let them go now...You have to be strong mentally"
"Only 6km, a time-trial to the top Bala, come on come on..."
"But why (the ****) are they taking turns ahead?"
"WHERE IS QUINTANA?"

More or less. :D
I bloody love Purito, he's so sweet

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
I wonder what Joaquim Rodriguez is thinking right now

He actually tweeted a Congratulations. He tweeted two things as soon as the race was over an emoji of a gold medal and then a Congratulations.
We can speculate all we want on the relationship between the epic spanish tridente, but at the end of the day, despite the rivalry, I think all of Contador, Purito and Valverde have a genuinely have a huge respect of each other and like each other. Lets not forget that not only did he **** it up for Purito, but also for himself. It shouldn't happen but it happened, but seriously, get over it. He also robbed himself so it wasn't done with shady motivations or anything like that, just a normal Valverde **** up.

Im sure Contador and especially Purito are happy for Valverde. The latter has always struck me like an incredibly nice human and I actually really miss him.

Worth adding to that that Quintana had a huge smile on his face congratulating Bala after the finish today. The rivalry and animosity angle is easy to play up for spectators to make the races seem/feel more interesting, but when you see them interact in moments like that it's clear that a lot of them get on perfectly well together.

DoXByflXoAEZ3XT.jpg:large

1 Murcian, 3 Basques, 1 Navarre, 1 Catalan, 1 Mallorquin, 1 Castillian.

1 Movistar, 1 Bahrain, 1 Mitchelton, 1 Astana, 1 Quick·Step, 2 Sky, 1 Cofidis.

1 Team, 1 Champion

Those two missing spots though on the map. tho'.

It really seperates him from Kelly, Moser, Hinault, De Vlaeminck and the other greats. Don't get me wrong, I like Valverde. He seems like a kind-hearted and diplomatic man and is a great bike rider.. But in order to be a legend, you kinda have to race those races.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I just realized he will be wearing stripes for a year.

Holy **** thats amazing.

In before a normal Movistar kit with tiny stripes on the corner

Nah, I realize the UCI won't allow it. So let me rain on your parade further: This severely increases the chances the team will force him to ride the Tour "because sponsor"

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I am so happy for him, that was great and finally after 16 years he did it! I was also happy to see Nairo and others coming with congratulations. Immediately.

I still can not believe it. To be honest, I would be happy also for several others, but with Bala it is something special and I only hope that we will see such entertaining worlds soon again.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Please no. Valverde really has nothing more to offer to that race. Paris-Nice, Flanders and the Giro in the stripes on the other hand. :D

I'm with you. Along with of course la Vuelta, the Ardennes and all the smaller Spanish races he loves. Oh he'll be wearing the rainbows for his home race (even if it is a small race).

Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:
Please no. Valverde really has nothing more to offer to that race. Paris-Nice, Flanders and the Giro in the stripes on the other hand. :D

I'm with you. Along with of course la Vuelta, the Ardennes and all the smaller Spanish races he loves. Oh he'll be wearing the rainbows for his home race (even if it is a small race).

Congratulations your man finally delivered what a way to round out his career - in Rainbow stripes on the most epic course in memory! Big respect from me. Good luck sleeping :D

Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:

Of course. Something like a few of the Mallorca races, Andalucia, Paris-Nice, E3, Flanders, Ardennes, Giro, Burgos and Vuelta would be top notch. Maybe a bit overkill tho

Cookster15 said:
Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:

Congratulations your man finally delivered what a way to round out his career - in Rainbow stripes on the most epic course in memory! Big respect from me. Good luck sleeping :D

I'll be fine sleeping. I'm in the US so still hours before bed time, plus tons of NFL football to watch. :D

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:

Of course. Something like a few of the Mallorca races, Andalucia, Paris-Nice, E3, Flanders, Ardennes, Giro, Burgos and Vuelta would be top notch. Maybe a bit overkill tho

I'd add San Sebastian. Does he get to wear the rainbow jersey in the National Championships or does have to wear the regular Movistar kit for that? It could be overkill, but who cares.

So the question is who is the World Champ for Lombardia? Can he wear the Rainbow stripes there this year or not?

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:
Valv.Piti said:

Strade!

TRENDING THREADS