• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 239 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
They could at least put the stylized "M" in the same colour as the blue stripe, then the rest of the text in black. The slightly different shades of blue sit off with me.
This didn't really stand out for me when I first glanced at the kit, but of course you're right. I can't imagine Movistar changing a major component of their branding (logo color) to match the blue stripe of the WC rainbow, however.

Regardless, I really like the kit. It's stylish but properly understated. And black shorts - whew!! Love the white arm warmers.

I used to think that I really liked Cadel Evans's 2009 WC kit that he wore at Lombardia for Lotto, but I realize now the shorts w/ even that much white look silly. Thankfully Valverde must be a traditionalist! lol

cycling-tour-lombardia-2009-cadel-evans-varese-como-lombardije-tim-picture-id991799194

alejandro-valverde-belmonte-of-spain-and-movistar-team-during-the-picture-id1047953176

Oh he looks miles better than Cadel, but that probably also has something to do with Valverde generally is looking much more stylish on a bike (with a helmet and glasses, cause, hair or lack thereof.....) than Evans and just about everyone in the peloton. Those shoe covers are also horrible tho and certainly doesn't help Cadel either.

Lets hope Valv doesn't have to bust out shoe covers on Saturday, but the shark will probably pull his voodoo and make it raaaain

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Oh he looks miles better than Cadel, but that probably also has something to do with Valverde generally is looking much more stylish on a bike (with a helmet and glasses, cause, hair or lack thereof.....) than Evans and just about everyone in the peloton. Those shoe covers are also horrible tho and certainly doesn't help Cadel either.

Lets hope Valv doesn't have to bust out shoe covers on Saturday, but the shark will probably pull his voodoo and make it raaaain
Ya boy is World Champ. Now is the time to have higher standards for style than Cadel Evans.

And rain it will. Just received all the necessary ingredients for the blood magic to make it happen. :p

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Ya boy is World Champ. Now is the time to have higher standards for style than Cadel Evans.

And rain it will. Just received all the necessary ingredients for the blood magic to make it happen. :p

Then tell your shark to start moving before he drowns

Apparantly Valverde is scheduled to race Piemonte after Turin on Thursday which only leaves 1 day of rest before Lombardia on Saturday. I really don't think he has been much on his bike after the Worlds, he wants to get a few decent trainings in before Lombardia it seems. Seems a bit odd tho, but he recovers extremely well between races.

Obviously he wants some good training rides. He said he hasn't been able to train like he prefers since he won due to all the ceremonies and celebrations (which he has also enjoyed). I'm wondering if he's decided the best way to train is to race since they can't have him doing celebrations or ceremonies while he's racing.

The kit looks great, especially now that he has white arm warmers. I'm very glad he wanted the black shorts. A classic look. The M on the back the way it's done works with the kit. He looks great in the kit, but well he looks good anyway even with his hair loss.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Strong ride today but he was a bit too eager. Why wasting energy on attacking on the penultimate climb when M-T always come down to the last Superga? Training before Lombardia?
This is basically Valverde when riding 'smallar' races or plain training for a race (remember Dauphine 17). When he is in that state of mind, he is actually super aggressive.

Just watched the race, I didnt know to what extent Valverde animated the race... pretty incredible watching him on that first ascent on Superga. That was clearly a case of getting a good, repeated effort in, pretty similar to efforts required to climbing Ghisallo and Sormano (altho the latter obviously is harder than Superga overall).

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Just watched the race, I didnt know to what extent Valverde animated the race... pretty incredible watching him on that first ascent on Superga. That was clearly a case of getting a good, repeated effort in, pretty similar to efforts required to climbing Ghisallo and Sormano (altho the latter obviously is harder than Superga overall).

He looked otherworldly all day today until suddenly he didn’t. As you note, he won’t ride like that at Lombardia and he will be super strong.

To me, Valverde is THE favorite on Saturday. Showed up yesterday still wiping petit-fours crumbs from the side of his mouth, tourist, show the kit, going for a training ride...and he looked good. One day later, yes, a bit short in the end, but he attacked and beat all but two riders on the day. And the field was loaded. Clearly, he'll be in top-shape at the GDL. He's the guy who peaks 350 days out of the year, after all :) .

He said on twitter after the race that today's race was just for fun and to put on a show. He said something about maybe he could have won if he'd have saved some energy, but he just wanted to have fun today. I agree with Valv.Piti, when he shows up for a race that he's using for training and to have fun, this is exactly how he races. It was so sweet to see him on the podium in the rainbow jersey. That was awesome! He's definitely still on some great form. He's got to be the favorite for Lombardia. I just hope he gets a bit better support form his team because they were no where to be found today.

Yes, he was super strong yesterday and obviously hasn't lost much form. The last climb to Superga just got 1-2 km too long, but that was to be expected after watching him in from of the peloton on the whole first climb and afterwards doing what looked like an incredible hard bridge to the FDJ-guys. Gaudu was riding at a super, super hard pace.

Skips Piemonte after all, maybe it rains and bit or maybe it was a mistake in the first hand. Think he is pretty confident about Lombardia now.

TRENDING THREADS