• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 248 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
I wonder what the races are he doesn't have yet.

Guess Lombardia and Olympics?

I wonder if he's gonna forego the hyperfocus on the Worlds this year to prepare for Il Lombardia better. Usually the ones that hit top form in either are different names.

Definitely also Amstel. And maybe Strade.
Very true, but I doubt those are in the 4 races that were mentioned earlier. I could've been clearer

Re:

Red Rick said:

I wonder if he's gonna forego the hyperfocus on the Worlds this year to prepare for Il Lombardia better. Usually the ones that hit top form in either are different names.

He can do well in both, just look at 2013 and 2014...

Blanco said:
Red Rick said:

He can do well in both, just look at 2013 and 2014...
2013 was a good performance. 2014 was a train wreck of a route he really should've won on.

Now the routes are harder which is definitely not to Valverde's favour.

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:

Definitely also Amstel. And maybe Strade.
Very true, but I doubt those are in the 4 races that were mentioned earlier. I could've been clearer

Okay, I hadn't read that post well enough.

The races he specifically mentioned a few years ago that he hadn't won yet that he wanted were Tour of Basque Country, Amstel, Worlds, Lombardia and I think he'd said something about Strade would be nice. He also hasn't won Paris-Nice, but if he's going after Strade he won't be going after Paris-Nice. He also hasn't won T-A, but after only the 2nd time he raced it (2016) he made a comment that he would never go back to it. Then there are some races he's never even raced. (Obviously hasn't won the Olympics, but that's even more of a lottery than the Worlds are.)

Re:

Koronin said:
The races he specifically mentioned a few years ago that he hadn't won yet that he wanted were Tour of Basque Country, Amstel, Worlds, Lombardia and I think he'd said something about Strade would be nice. He also hasn't won Paris-Nice, but if he's going after Strade he won't be going after Paris-Nice. He also hasn't won T-A, but after only the 2nd time he raced it (2016) he made a comment that he would never go back to it. Then there are some races he's never even raced. (Obviously hasn't won the Olympics, but that's even more of a lottery than the Worlds are.)

I wouldn't call the Olympics a lottery. You simply have far fewer opportunities than the Worlds

Amazinmets87 said:
Koronin said:

I wouldn't call the Olympics a lottery. You simply have far fewer opportunities than the Worlds

That's actually what Valverde called it before the 2016 Olympics. He was asked something about being a favorite and his response was along the lines of, this race is a lottery, I just have more tickets than some others have.

Today was his last training ride at home before leaving for Mallorca to join his teammates with a couple of days of training rides before starting his season. Today's training ride was with his U-23 team.

51071826_1828547313939612_7205107483591835648_o.jpg

50823698_1828547297272947_6153481361026973696_o.jpg

His U-23 team has a few more weeks before their season starts.

Koronin said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Koronin said:

That's actually what Valverde called it before the 2016 Olympics. He was asked something about being a favorite and his response was along the lines of, this race is a lottery, I just have more tickets than some others have.
I disagree with him, too!

Re:

Koronin said:
Today was his last training ride at home before leaving for Mallorca to join his teammates with a couple of days of training rides before starting his season. Today's training ride was with his U-23 team.

Nice shots! That's the original World's victory bike. Guess he'll use it for training now and bust out the current iteration for races.

Amazinmets87 said:
Koronin said:

Nice shots! That's the original World's victory bike. Guess he'll use it for training now and bust out the current iteration for races.

Yeah, that's the original one. That's the one he's mostly been riding in training pictures I've seen. (He's also ridden his regular non Worlds paint scheme bike.) He hasn't ridden the one yet in training that anyone has taken pictures of. It's possible he's waiting for Mallorca to debut it.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
I wonder if the Trofeo races has been readjusted so that Valverde can win all of them?

Next year, even Trofeo Palma will be an uphill sprint. :lol:

:lol: Who knows, but it wouldn't totally shock me. He usually does race 3 of the 4 as it is. He's got a bunch of podiums there, but doesn't actually have a lot of wins in this set of races.

Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:
I wonder if the Trofeo races has been readjusted so that Valverde can win all of them?

:lol: Who knows, but it wouldn't totally shock me. He usually does race 3 of the 4 as it is. He's got a bunch of podiums there, but doesn't actually have a lot of wins in this set of races.

He has 5 wins there, only Freire has won more than him - 7 times, so I wouldn't say he doesn't have many wins there...

Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:

He has 5 wins there, only Freire has won more than him - 7 times, so I wouldn't say he doesn't have many wins there...

Well he races 2-3 of these races virtually every year, having 5 wins really isn't a lot of wins.

Oude Geuze said:
Very nice photos, such a treat to have a legend in the rainbow jersey for a year!

Movistar has posted a bunch of other photos of yesterday and today's rides.

2019 schedule, from the horse's mouth:

Trofeo Palma
Valenciana
Murcia
UAE
Strade Bianche
Catalunya
Dwars
Flanders
("It's too many races before the Ardennes, I don't expect to do well. Twice as much for the Giro". Actual quote.)
Amstel
Fleche
Liege
Giro
-Rest-
Possible June stage race, TBD
Nationals
Poland or Burgos+San Sebastian. Poland more likely.
Vuelta
Worlds
Pre-Lombardia races TBD
Lombardia

Does that mean he's going to skip Flanders again?

He's mentioned racing Poland this year before, so it's likely Poland.

Interesting comment, because he's raced that much before the Ardennes and won in the Ardennes before. Wouldn't be shocked if this is just him trying to downplay his chances as he likes doing.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Flanders is there. He'll race it. The too many races comment is separate

It's more likely to do with the different training to do well in Flanders and the travelling and weather involved there.

Ah, ok. To many races to do well at Flanders. Sorry misunderstood what the comment was referring to. Thought it was referring to the Arennes, which is why it didn't make sense to me. Referring to Flanders (and to a lesser extent Dwars, even though he's done well there) makes more sense. Thank you.