• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 268 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
dastott said:
Looking very lean, another Tour podium not impossible perhaps?
The good Valverde almost looks unhealthy which obviously is a good thing in cycling. Tbh in this Tour, everything is possible, nothing can or will surprise me.
Yes, but will all that high altitude climbing in the Alpes the team will need to give him an oxygen mask for those stages.
Oh yeah.

But judged on today, he was human again, altho it was impressive to see how he fought back... I think he will stay in the GC battle and not just give up time on purpose only because so many names are absent and such, but prob wont do much GC-wise still.

Nibali's partner for breakaways in Le Tour.

Now that would be fun to watch. Valverde needs a new partner for those type of raids since Contador retired and Nibali would be the perfect partner for it.

Re:

pink_jersey said:
I never understood why he's so bad when the altitude goes over 1800m.
Cadel Evans used to be like this as well...

Well his explanation is that he was born, raised and still lives at sea level and his body has never responded well altitude. This is an entirely believable explanation. It's also accurate as Murcia City is about a half hour drive to the beach.

Valv.Piti said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Saw some photos of Valverde today. Man, how did he get so lean while off the bike? He almost looks emaciated
He has been training for the past 2 months. He was maybe of the bike for a few days after Liege...

This. I think it was closer to 2 weeks he was off the bike, however he's been training most of the past 2 months.

Nirvana said:
His body is really impressive (in a bad way), I don't think I've ever seen him skinny before and has always been closer to a normal man than most cyclists but now he suddenly looks anorexic.

Agreed. He usually looks like a normal person, but right now he looks too skinny. I'm not sure this is good for him.

wheresmybrakes said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Saw some photos of Valverde today. Man, how did he get so lean while off the bike? He almost looks emaciated

He looks older than my grandad and he's been dead 30 odd years. :lol:

He hasn't been off the bike just not racing. He was out training as soon as he got back from Liege, just not at his usual intensity. He gradually built that up and included a hard week and a bit riding in the Sierra Nevada area near Granada.

Photos are never a good reference as they can be misleading. If you see him in person he looks the age he is.

2623497-54292659-640-360.jpg

Notice the (lack of) cheeks. Never seen him so gaunt. He looks like a skeleton.

This must be what sub 5% body fat looks like on a non-bodybuilder.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Great. The Valverde thread is officially the new weight watchers thread after Contador's has finally gone quiet.

I think in this case it's more of a shock to see him so skinny as it's not normal for him.

A bike rider with low body fat. Shocking indeed.
The problem is that, unlike some other riders that always look like they are anorexic, he has never been like that before so we are not used to see him in this state.

Movistar and Alejandro just announced that he's signed a new 2 year contract plus some sort of addition in which he will remain with the organization through at least 2024. He's definitely racing for 2 more years. They haven't explained with the 3 years of the contract are for and it's likely they don't know yet, just that he's going to remain with them in some capacity. He did not say he is retiring at the end of the 2021 yet either.

Re:

Koronin said:
Movistar and Alejandro just announced that he's signed a new 2 year contract plus some sort of addition in which he will remain with the organization through at least 2024. He's definitely racing for 2 more years. They haven't explained with the 3 years of the contract are for and it's likely they don't know yet, just that he's going to remain with them in some capacity. He did not say he is retiring at the end of the 2021 yet either.
Probably they didn't even know what will happen to the team after 2021 considering that the sponsorship extension they signed this winter with Telefónica is only for three years.

Nirvana said:
Koronin said:
Probably they didn't even know what will happen to the team after 2021 considering that the sponsorship extension they signed this winter with Telefónica is only for three years.

As the team has been around as a WT team since 1980 and was actually started in the mid '70's, I think they fully expect to either resign Movistar or be able to find a new sponsor.

TRENDING THREADS