• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 276 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
  1. It is also impossible to say that Valverde was stronger. Valverde looked mighty strong and Quuintana looked like he had a walk in the park
  2. He also worked... why are you talking so much bullsh*t?
  3. Yes he didnt helped them. That was not a nice move but he also worked for Valverde in the past. So the Tour where he didnt help his teammates count but the situations where he had helped them (for example last years vuelta) didnt count..... thats ridicoulus
  4. Valverde never worked or quintana as well (dont tell me otherwise). They are both great and successful riders (not entertaining riders) so thats kinda okay i guess
  5. Your double standards are annoying

1, As Quintana didn't do much on the stage he should have been able to win that stage.
2, he did not do any work on stage 2.
3 Please tell me when Quintana has worked for a teammate in which he was told he had to by the directors?
4 Valverde has done a LOT for Quintana in several Tours over the years and Quintana has NEVER been able to do anything with that.
5, Quintana knows that la Vuelta is Valverde's Grand Tour and that he has no business even asking to be the only leader in that race in this team.

Yeah I'll be honest, I'm not that passionate about either rider, so I'm not terribly worked up about it.

I see no reason why Quintana should defer to Valverde. He looked stronger to me, and Valverde is an aging star who should not be given unquestioned leadership of any GT. IMO. That's all my comment was about. But glad you're passionate about it. Cheers.

I see no reason why Quintana should expect to be the only leader in this specific race when everyone knows it's one of Valverde's best races and his favorite race of the season. Quintana has no right to even ask that Valverde work for him at la Vuelta.

Cheers. :)

1, As Quintana didn't do much on the stage he should have been able to win that stage.
2, he did not do any work on stage 2.
3 Please tell me when Quintana has worked for a teammate in which he was told he had to by the directors?
4 Valverde has done a LOT for Quintana in several Tours over the years and Quintana has NEVER been able to do anything with that.
5, Quintana knows that la Vuelta is Valverde's Grand Tour and that he has no business even asking to be the only leader in that race in this team.

1. Sure Sure.... thats just stupid and you know it
  2. I watched the stage and the front group worked pretty well.... for example kilometer 11.9 and when he attacked he was also in the front ( thats just two situations from a highlight video. im pretty sure there are more)
  3. I dont know... is it important why he helped his teammates?
  4. I dont think so ( i think we dont come to an agreement here due to different perspectives)
  5. Did he say that he is the only leader or is that your assumption? I read several interviews an all claim a double leadership

1. Sure Sure.... thats just stupid and you know it
  2. I watched the stage and the front group worked pretty well.... for example kilometer 11.9 and when he attacked he was also in the front ( thats just two situations from a highlight video. im pretty sure there are more)
  3. I dont know... is it important why he helped his teammates?
  4. I dont think so ( i think we dont come to an agreement here due to different perspectives)
  5. Did he say that he is the only leader or is that your assumption? I read several interviews an all claim a double leadership

1, you're incorrect. (same as 4 never agree on this)
2, again he didn't do anything and then got away because he was obviously fresher because the others did all the work. (same as 4, never agree on this)
3, the why may not be important, but the fact that he refuses to help teammates in better form yet expects everyone to ride for only him is what is important.
4 we won't come to agreement
5, yes he has tried to claim he is the only leader of this Vuelta even though the team has said no and said Valverde can do whatever he wishes. I also believe that Quintana has difficulty mentally dealing with the fact that this is Valverde's team and will be not only for as long as he's actively racing, but for as long as he's part of this team in any capacity.

Why is Quintana even riding this Vuelta in the first place? I really don't understand why they keep insisting with this stupid double leadership, if he's already on his way out.
Don't get me wrong, i appreciate that teams send riders to races even knowing they will leave next season, instead of just sidelining them, but they should have made it pretty clear to him that if he comes, he should just follow team orders.
And yes, Alejandro should have 7 teammates working just for him because he is the world champion. I kinda feel they are screwing up his rainbow year by bringing Quintana here.

Valverde has shown next to nothing this year since winning the stripes. His excuse of having no motivation since winning the worlds is bull$hit. If the Vuelta is "his" race I would have thought he would have won it more than once. Podiums and top tens don't count for champions (that's what I hear a lot on here (if that's what he is)). It looks to me that he wants to go out at the top in his favourite race but there are other forces against him ( according to his fans) like NQ and not his own factors (age, form, age, altitude, age and age)! NQ is a GT rider who I believe should have full support, he knows how to win a 3 week race. Valverde has full support in his favoured one day races which he has been very successful at. His fans need to realise that he may not have it anymore and stop the blame game. Yes, I'm not a fan of his and this is just my opinion, I shall await the i know nothing about cycling and i should watch cycling more often replies from those who know better.

Reactions: Red Rick
Valverde has shown next to nothing this year since winning the stripes. His excuse of having no motivation since winning the worlds is bull$hit. If the Vuelta is "his" race I would have thought he would have won it more than once. Podiums and top tens don't count for champions (that's what I hear a lot on here (if that's what he is)). It looks to me that he wants to go out at the top in his favourite race but there are other forces against him ( according to his fans) like NQ and not his own factors (age, form, age, altitude, age and age)! NQ is a GT rider who I believe should have full support, he knows how to win a 3 week race. Valverde has full support in his favoured one day races which he has been very successful at. His fans need to realise that he may not have it anymore and stop the blame game. Yes, I'm not a fan of his and this is just my opinion, I shall await the i know nothing about cycling and i should watch cycling more often replies from those who know better.

You should watch cycling more often.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Alejandro shouldn't give a damn about Quintana's race. Although he claimed leadership and made it his season goal in the last two years, he was behind Landa in last year's Tour, behind Bala in last year's Vuelta, and behind both of them this year (in terms of form, without that break wouldn't even have made it into the top 10) with Landa also racing the Giro and Valverde riding it just because he had to.
Bala should ride his own race and win as many stages as he can along the way, with or without a high GC placing. Especially since in the last 4 years, Nairo was weaker than the other co-leader(s) and didn't say a word until it was too late for the other one(s) to get a better result, or didn't say and just got dropped.

Think it's pretty clear if Movistar want to win the Vuelta they need to ride for Quintana who already has a significant lead over Valverde

I dont agree with that mainly becasue he have seen Quitana over the last few years have great days and then have rubbish days in GTs ...Who is to say that this time next week Quintana isnt struggling

Valverde has targeted this Vuelta and at least this week he should be allowed to show what he can do esp in the next 3 stages that suit him

Yet Nairo Quintana is firing on all cylinders this year:rolleyes: And year before...
In my opinion Movistar should try to hold them as high as possible in the GC until the decisive stages 15&16, or until someone of that two cracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: barmaher
Im pretty sure Quintana and Valverde both now the deal.

Valverde has a free role and said he is going for stages, and as long as he is there in GC. He is there. If Quintana is flying Im pretty sure Valverde stays loyal to the team. Same if the other way around and Valverde is ahead. Im pretty sure Quintana will sit on the wheel of the others. As Valverde did on stage 2.

Looks great for a classic Valverde-assault on the Vuelta, but contrary to last year, he seems better on long climbs this year. He was unstoppable on the classic Vuelta walls last year, lets see if he can replicate those performances in an area where Lopez has a tendency of struggling in 2 days. He can even take red if Lopez has a bad day and Valverde wins.

I love Valverde in La Vuelta.

Great to see him take the initiative and be aggressive in high mountains; plus the way he clawed back time on Lopez was really impressive. I think he genuinely believes he can beat Roglic and Lopez in a way that he probably doesn't with Froome, and is going to lay it all on the line trying.

Movistar should do what they always do. Ride for no one until there is clarity of who has the best shot. Let the road decide. Until then is fair game for 2 leaders. I think Quintana and Valverde know this.
What I don't agree is 3 leaders. For some reason it is confusing for everyone.

Movistar should do what they always do. Ride for no one until there is clarity of who has the best shot. Let the road decide. Until then is fair game for 2 leaders. I think Quintana and Valverde know this.
What I don't agree is 3 leaders. For some reason it is confusing for everyone.

3 leaders seems to be over kill. Although I think in this Tour there were only two. The problem became one of the one leaders (Valverde) was better than one of the supposed leaders.

TRENDING THREADS