• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 277 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Twitter is disgusting to look at. Lots of guys state that Valverde downright rides against Quintana.. I mean, what re are they watching? Theres obviously no clear cut leader, Valverde decided to accelerate since he has great legs and Quintana wasn't at all up to the task. He had lost a decent amount anyhow. The Danish fans will know this, but especially one guy, Kim Plesner, has been pushing this Movistar narrative for years know - even when they do well, like winning the Giro. I seriously get irrirated at such people, like really *** irritated. Do they even know cycling? What should Valverde have done? Not attacked? Dropped backed to help Quintana? There isnt much you can do on an 10% incline, its about the legs. People should seriously just stop overanalyzing everything, sometimes cycling is extremely simple: you have the legs, you attack, you don't, you get dropped. Its not rocket science.

God I hate Kim Plesner. Officially not listening to his shitty podcast no more, even though I like the two others a lot. What a shitty character. Rant over.

Not quite, I also find it extremely irritating to have to listen to commentators year after year underrating Valverde, saying he is too old, he can't climb etc., treating him like a 2nd and 3rd tier rider. In La Vuelta! When they believe in riders like Kruijswijk, Urán, Latour, Aru etc. I mean, wtf? Valverde's track record in this race is insane, and if he isn't completely overraced, he will do great things. Its like people forget he was Yates' biggest threat last year before his minor collapse in Andorra. But this year, he is too old! Quintana is the much better climber.. since when? He hasn't done anything else than disappoint the last two years in GTs.

This is not good for me, but sometimes I just hate people.

Last edited:
Twitter is disgusting to look at. Lots of guys state that Valverde downright rides against Quintana.. I mean, what re are they watching? Theres obviously no clear cut leader, Valverde decided to accelerate since he has great legs and Quintana wasn't at all up to the task. He had lost a decent amount anyhow. The Danish fans will know this, but especially one guy, Kim Plesner, has been pushing this Movistar narrative for years know - even when they do well, like winning the Giro. I seriously get irrirated at such people, like really *** irritated. Do they even know cycling? What should Valverde have done? Not attacked? Dropped backed to help Quintana? There isnt much you can do on an 10% incline, its about the legs. People should seriously just stop overanalyzing everything, sometimes cycling is extremely simple: you have the legs, you attack, you don't, you get dropped. Its not rocket science.

God I hate Kim Plesner. Rant over.

Not quite, I also find it extremely irritating to have to listen to commentators year after year underrating Valverde, saying he is too old, he can't climb etc., treating him like a 2nd and 3rd tier rider. In La Vuelta! When they believe in riders like Kruijswijk, Urán, Latour, Aru etc. I mean, wtf? Valverde's track record in this race is insane, and if he isn't completely overraced, he will do great things. Its like people forget he was Yates' biggest threat last year before his minor collapse in Andorra. But this year, he is too old! Quintana is the much better climber.. since when? He hasn't done anything else than disappoint the last two years in GTs.

You're right but you need to calm down. Breathe and wait to see the next stages, valverde will prove he is better than quintana on the road. He just needs do be better than quintana in the next 2 stages and he will be the leader for the remaining vuelta.

God I hate Kim Plesner. Officially not listening to his shitty podcast no more, even though I like the two others a lot. What a shitty character. Rant over.

You aren't alone. Remember it's very difficult to over race him. Our commentators managed to mention he is the oldest rider in la Vuelta several times in the lsat 3 km. I think 1 mention was more than sufficient.

Hehe, it's probably a good thing that we have been blocked by Lars B.

Yeah, i was also surprised about everyone on Twitter saying Valverde raced against Quintana by attacking and then by helping Roglic. It is logical that, when you have 2 riders so high on GC, attack with the one who's behind. It's not Valverde's problem that Quintana could not keep up, while people like Kuss and Pogacar held on.
Also, i don't really understand why the riders who escaped ON THE FLAT from a group that also contained Aranburu or Herrada, in the second stage were seen as in top form. Everyone in that group, except for Roglic, lost more or less big time in a unipuerto stage by Vuelta standards (Quintana, Uran, Aru). It's not like they made the difference on the Puig Llorenca.
Can't wait to see Quintana getting dropped next year while having the full support of his new team, and then looking for brand new excuses.

Just in: Quintana is able to win the Vuelta, Valverde isn't.

He probably isn't able to, he might not, no, he simply isn't capable of winning the race according to 'experts'.

Alright, sure, Lopez and Roglic are a lot more LIKELY to win, but apart from those to, Valverde seems the most likely winner. Where does this nonsense come from? Why do we treat it as a fact he he CANNOT win a race like this, while Quintana apparantly can?

Valv.Piti, need to come down. I agree with you about Valverde going for his own chances. I always have. There is no point in helping someone who is weaker than you. In fact, in the past these two have raced like this for a long time.

However, and this is coming from an Spanish podcast, he writes in tweeter that he is still riding for Quintana. I guess he felt pressure from the media and does not want to look bad. He doesn't have to write that. Because he is going to look silly. Because then he is exposed to giving explanations to the media as to why he rode like that. Just write that he is riding for his own chances and leave it at that. Better to be straight with your goals.

One last thing. I re watched couple of times the stage at the Tour where Quintana won, and Movistar looked really bad. Landa's attack never came and they cut the difference to Quintana. There is already a bad taste in the mouth as to what is Movistar doing. And it is fair to question tactics. Especially for Movistar. Yesterday after I re watched La Vuelta's stage 5 again I saw it from the Colombian outlet. Goga and Botero like Valverde but their comments were related as to why is Valverde pulling Roglic. I think they were confused. He had no reason to do that with the information we have today. And people start questioning Movistar and Valverde again. They were confused as to whether who is calling the shots at Movistar. You only do that if you are confident that you will smash Roglic in the TT. Otherwise he is the man to beat. Let him tire himself and you don't help an enemy put more time on your teammate.

Valverde should do whatever he pleases since he OBVIOUSLY is stronger than Quintana. All these comments are obviously smokescreens. Quintana just isn't better and havent been for 2 years apart from a few great days which have resulted in stage wins in the Tour. Valverde was better than Quintana in Tour 2019, Vuelta 2018, the last two GTs...

Aint nobody holding Quintana down, only his own legs. People should stop acting like Movistar and Valverde is holding him back.

Why can't they just say they are co-leaders instead of each one saying the other is the leader. This is why there is so much criticism. Their comments aren't making sense. Now I'm confident Valverde is the better option for la Vuelta simply because the Spanish terrain and mountains have always fit his abilities well and he looks to be in very good shape.

Valverde should do whatever he pleases since he OBVIOUSLY is stronger than Quintana. All these comments are obviously smokescreens. Quintana just isn't better and havent been for 2 years apart from a few great days which have resulted in stage wins in the Tour. Valverde was better than Quintana in Tour 2019, Vuelta 2018, the last two GTs...

Aint nobody holding Quintana down, only his own legs. People should stop acting like Movistar and Valverde is holding him back.
3 GTs where neither were close to the win.

If Valverde is serious about winning the Vuelta he should start by not missing breakaways like the one on stage 2.

Why can't they just say they are co-leaders instead of each one saying the other is the leader. This is why there is so much criticism. Their comments aren't making sense. Now I'm confident Valverde is the better option for la Vuelta simply because the Spanish terrain and mountains have always fit his abilities well and he looks to be in very good shape.
This might well be the aim. Seems unlikely that they would really care about fans arguing who is leader on the internet. I imagine they are much more interested int trying to confuse or blindside their rivals about their plans for the race.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS