• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 286 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
I think the consistency has come from being a bit lighter. Like he said before the Tour he lost 5 kilos! While I don't think it is that drastic cause he'd likely have died if he had lost 5kg. He might have put on a bit of weight after the Vuelta to help with speed,who knows.

He said he lost 5 kg in his spring training, but after his race in the small Frence race he said he was too light to race a GT at that weight and put between 1 and 2 kg back on before the Tour. He likely tweaked that before la Vuelta. What he's going to do between la Vuelta and the Worlds, who knows.

Reactions: hammerthaim
Valverde will have to go in a break to regain his title. He has no chance to outsprint the bigger guys.

If you exclude the pure sprinters, these riders should be faster than him in a power sprint like this: Sagan, Matthews, MVDP, Alaphilippe, Trentin, Van Avermaet, Naesen, Gilbert.

And perhaps: Politt, Asgreen, Swift, Mohorič and Stybar too.

Valverde will have to go in a break to regain his title. He has no chance to outsprint the bigger guys.

If you exclude the pure sprinters, these riders should be faster than him in a power sprint like this: Sagan, Matthews, MVDP, Alaphilippe, Trentin, Van Avermaet, Naesen, Gilbert.

And perhaps: Politt, Asgreen, Swift, Mohorič and Stybar too.

I don't exactly expect a large group at the finish. I do expect him to be part of that small group.

Don't really have another place to put this and it does relate to Alejandro. Alejandro's amateur team Valverde Team - Terra Fecundis has announced they are adding a girls cadet and junior teams for next season. Next year they will have the school (all kids, boys and girls not old enough for cadets), the boys cadet and junior teams along with the men's U-23 and elite teams plus now the girls cadet and junior teams.

• Love
Reactions: Joomla10 and Marek
Alejandro's bike for tomorrow race.
71146826_10218574189681407_303121139436093440_n.jpg

Reactions: MarkTusa
Well, it was a terrific year having Bala in the rainbow jersey. I don't know how much longer he can hold on to his fitness but next year's Worlds and the Olympics should suit him. I assume he'll go to Lombardia again but otherwise, he should call it a season.

He should go to the Italian classics (as long as he's not sick from the rain today) if nothing else than to show off his Spanish Champion's kit. Hopefully the rain here didn't destroy his fitness level either, which he stated was better after la Vuelta this year than it was last year.
Yes both the Olympics and Worlds next year do suit him well. He's planning on going after both of them.

Well he should definitely do both of them next year. As a matter of fact, they should be his biggest goals. Incredibly hard to put a GT around that schedule though if he still wants to ride a spring (dunno how high his motivation is for that after this year). But that goes for a lot of the good one day racers who can really climb. Tradeteams wont be super stoked, I think.

He should go to the Italian classics (as long as he's not sick from the rain today) if nothing else than to show off his Spanish Champion's kit. Hopefully the rain here didn't destroy his fitness level either, which he stated was better after la Vuelta this year than it was last year.
Yes both the Olympics and Worlds next year do suit him well. He's planning on going after both of them.
Can't wait to see the amazing kit Movi come up with for him :mad:

So, will he finally win Lombardia this year? In hindsight, riding Worlds was stupid, but you obviously never know that unless you could predict weeks in advance that the weather would be this crappy. Seemed fresh towards the end of La Vuelta. The route suits him with that nice combo in the end, just gotta follow Nibali and be prepared to die following him downhill and not screw the sprint up like he did on that Giro stage in 2016.

And I have a feeling Bernal will be very strong too...

True, but he is still a bit of an unknown, though he looked quite good in Toscana (?)

Also, he better not do anything useful, because that would kill my chances in the CQ game.

Perhaps Chaves could be a danger man as well. He impressed me a lot in Yorkshire, and he has had a tendency of being very strong after a Grand Tour. I don't think he is quite at a winning level yet, though.

True, Fuglsang is a huge contender as well, but would probably not rank him as my favourite. That would mean he outright will outclimb everyone, he cant win any other way. Although Im inclined to believe nobody will drop him.

Bernal I see with a better shot for the win.

TRENDING THREADS