• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 304 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Valverde still has the endurance and positioning skills to be there at the end of the 250 km+ races. He hasn't been as explosive on the short, steep climbs, which might be permanent decline or might be unideal training. Either way, he can still win big races and this Worlds performance changes nothing. In fact, his Worlds performance was much like his 2019 MSR and RvV performances.
I just hope he doesn't waste 3 weeks next year riding the Tour.

Supposedly this year was his last Tour. I also suspect 2016 was his one and only Giro.

How much is this a general thing and how much is it the gearing thing?

It appears at least some of the gearing issues were fixed during the lockdown with SRAM sending the correct gearing for the riders during that time. So at this point it's likely more of a general thing. Not sure you can fully go with under training during the lock down and post lock down before races started again being much of a factor at this point either for anyone, although my still play a small part.
Before the lockdown it was a gearing issue that had to be resolved before anything else could be sorted out.

We are also talking about someone who has never adapted well to change. So how much is that as well, who knows.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the Worlds was the best result of the year for Valverde.
Alaphilippe winning led to him opt out of F-W, which makes it increasingly harder for him to reach AV's record. And the start list is so weak that whoever wins it will be completely meaningless.

I don't think Alaphilippe has a plan to conquer Valverde's Flèche record. He was not even supposed to ride MSR and Strade this year, as he already won those. I guess he's going to try to win as many different races as possible, not the same one again and again.

And although the start list is not as strong as it could be, there are still some great racers... completely meaningless... you're joking?

I don't think Alaphilippe has a plan to conquer Valverde's Flèche record. He was not even supposed to ride MSR and Strade this year, as he already won those. I guess he's going to try to win as many different races as possible, not the same one again and again.

And although the start list is not as strong as it could be, there are still some great racers... completely meaningless... you're joking?

He'd said something about needing new challenges even though he hasn't yet won LBL. Where Valverde always prefered racing a similar calendar. Goes to show how very different their mentalities and personalities are.

Reactions: BlueRoads

Understandable about Alaphilippe. Few people can muster the courage to win the race 5 times.

I mean meaningless relating to threatening Valverde's F-W record. Of course, it will be very nice for whoever wins. It will be kind of like when Valverde felt bad that Purito completely lost the Worlds in Firenze so he let him win F-W in 2012.

Understandable about Alaphilippe. Few people can muster the courage to win the race 5 times.

I mean meaningless relating to threatening Valverde's F-W record. Of course, it will be very nice for whoever wins. It will be kind of like when Valverde felt bad that Purito completely lost the Worlds in Firenze so he let him win F-W in 2012.

I think there is a bit of a chronology issue there.

Valverde still has the endurance and positioning skills to be there at the end of the 250 km+ races. He hasn't been as explosive on the short, steep climbs, which might be permanent decline or might be unideal training. Either way, he can still win big races and this Worlds performance changes nothing. In fact, his Worlds performance was much like his 2019 MSR and RvV performances.
I just hope he doesn't waste 3 weeks next year riding the Tour.

Without his explosiveness he is still good enough for some top 10s but he never was someone that could drop the best based on superior endurance alone. Maybe he can get one more big win based on good instincs and race tactics but that´s not going to work more than once or twice. Good example would be Nibali in San Remo. He won with a well timed attack that suprised better puncheurs. This year everyone knew what was going to happen.

No reason not to ride the Tour. Especially if he wants to be competitive in the ORR. He probably should give up on the GC but that´s simply not who he is. We have discussed it again and again but the reality remains the same. Valverde refuses to lose time on purpose.

He's spent his entire life relying on his sprint to win. If that's gone, he likely can't change the way he races. He is 40 after all.

It's not in his DNA to be able to just lose time. (Apparently unless it's a time trial.) His mentality just won't allow it in a regular stage.

• Haha
Reactions: joe_papp
So all in for Vuelta then... I hope he wins a stage there at least, but imo he should've ride Liege.

He said after the Worlds that if he didn't think he could win LBL he wasn't going. I hope so, but from comments he's made it almost sounds like he doesn't think he can do anything there either and that's he's only going because Mas needs him. He appears to have fully lost confidence in his ability to do anything.